Can I use a Buyers Advocate for my price range

Hi there folks,

I am looking to purchase my first house in Melbourne.

My price range is around the 280 K mark in the western region, preferably Laverton. I am not knowledgeable in Real estate in Australia so I am considering to use the services of a Buyers Advocate. I understand they charge based on the percentage of the sale or a fixed price. But do BA's cater to this budget ?

Please suggest me any BA's who have knowledge in the Western suburbs.

Thanks in advance,
Sunny

I'm sure a BA will come around to soon to answer your question but I would avoid purchasing a house in Laverton. I don't think the area has great fundamentals or much growth potential. Maybe consider getting a unit or townhouse instead of a detatched house as it may give you a few more options at that price range.

Hi there folks,

My price range is around the 280 K mark in the western region, preferably Laverton. I am not knowledgeable in Real estate in Australia so I am considering to use the services of a Buyers Advocate. I understand they charge based on the percentage of the sale or a fixed price. But do BA's cater to this budget ?

Thanks in advance,
Sunny

I am sure BA's would do it, at that price likely to be a flat fee as % would be too low, probably $6-9K flat fee depending on who you use

Thanks for replies. Given my budget I really am not sure where to go. I can purchase a new house in Tarniet/Truganina/wyndham vale but didn't hear anything good about Truganina and Tarneit and wyndham vale is too far from the train station.

With my budget I am thinking that Western suburbs offer me more options. I am also looking for houses in Altona Meadows. Really not sure about Hoppers crossing/Werribee.

I presently rent in Preston and I like the northern suburbs. The main areas in North would be around Epping/Craigieburn but my budget doesn't give me much choice.

My wife and I both work in the city so need a suburb with train access.

Can anyone please suggest which suburbs I should be looking at.

h

Does it have to be a house?

Ya I am inclined towards a house. My aim is to purchase a already constructed house in a large block of land which would allow sub dividing of the block. I am not sure whether this makes any sense.

A little bit more about my intentions. I have investments overseas and will be going back overseas in 8-9 years. So, the place I purchase will be my house during this period and I will be clearing out the loan. And then, will be renting it out, thus getting a monthly cash flow.

a house on a good block + tolerable commute to city ..hmm...you will be restrcited at 280K.

i can think of
craigieburn
wallan ( V-line to city)
sunbury (possibly )
melton
or if you are lucky a distressed sale in point cook

also,have you thought of continue to rent and invest in a apartment for around $280 K ?

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. Given my budget I really am not sure where to go. I can purchase a new house in Tarniet/Truganina/wyndham vale but didn't hear anything good about Truganina and Tarneit and wyndham vale is too far from the train station.

don't do this, better off to buy nothing and rent

as suggested earlier you would probably be better off renting in a decent spot and buying a more expensive place somewhere else that will have more growth in all probability. buying as investment will increase your borrowing buyer so you can buy somewhere better, don;t touch that new cheap stuff in those areas u mentioned.

don't do this, better off to buy nothing and rent

as suggested earlier you would probably be better off renting in a decent spot and buying a more expensive place somewhere else that will have more growth in all probability. buying as investment will increase your borrowing buyer so you can buy somewhere better, don;t touch that new cheap stuff in those areas u mentioned.

Agreed. I would avoid those areas

Thanks

a house on a good block + tolerable commute to city ..hmm...you will be restrcited at 280K.

i can think of
craigieburn
wallan ( V-line to city)
sunbury (possibly )
melton

also,have you thought of continue to rent and invest in a apartment for around $280 K ?

Thanks for the suggestion. I ll surely look at Craigieburn. I like in Preston and I am familiar with Thomastown/Lalor/Epping. I feel they are better places than the suburbs I mentioned in the West. Would I be better to purchase an old house in this area instead ?

About the apartment, are you referring to an apartment close to the city premises ? I guess Ill be looking at a 1 bedroom with that budget !

Regards,
Sunny

Hi there folks,

Thanks in advance,
Sunny

Hi Sunny

I'm not specifically sure if any of the REBAA members from Vic cover the west but call them and ask regardless. I'm sure one of them will be able to help, or at least refer you on to someone who can. Best of luck!
http://rebaa.com.au/

i can think of
craigieburn
wallan ( V-line to city)
sunbury (possibly )
melton

Check out Hoppers and Werribee more they are very diverse areas with pockets of good and bad housing - new and heritage.

Prices have dropped in the last 3 years and $280k should buy something within walking distance of Hoppers station. Eg Mossfiel estate or around Woodville shops.

Werribee is cheaper again. $280k will get a good choice in Riverdene Estate or the nearer parts of Wyndham Vale. Both those are further from the station than just north of the station but the housing stock is nicer.

Note the Regional Rail Link opening in a couple of years, which will put parts of Wyndham Vale and Manor Lakes near a (diesel) train.

Sunny,

I'm a mortgage broker but I work with a Buyers agent who might be able to help you. He provides a unique service to help buyers like yourself and doesn't charge % commission. His fee could be as little as $399, depending on what service you require.

I agree with earlier comments that for around $280k it won't be easy to get a house with decent land within a reasonable commute to the city but this depends on your definition of 'reasonable' I guess. If it was me, I would prefer to buy a unit or apartment closer to the city or buy a property solely for investment (possibly regional) and continue renting.

Let me know if we can help.
Chris

http://www.capitaladvantage.com.au/

Attachments

• Capital Advantage.jpg
    Capital Advantage.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 50
Sunny,

I'm a mortgage broker but I work with a Buyers agent who might be able to help you. He provides a unique service to help buyers like yourself and doesn't charge % commission. His fee could be as little as $399, depending on what service you require.

So Chris can you please clarify if this buyers agent takes a commission from the vendor's agent?

Thanks for all the advice. Jacque and Jack I will consider what you said.
I am looking at properties such as these :
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-laverton-113372815
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-thomastown-113393327

When talking about suburbs to buy in the north, no one talks about the likes of thomastown and Lalor in the north. Is there a reason for this ? I understand that I'll be looking at already constructed houses, but its close to the city and other amenities.

If I have to consider apartments near the city. Is it better to look for something beyond Carlton ? The only thing about apartments that is putting me off is the corporate and council fees and the likeliness of high vacancies.

I am also considering Epping. Would these suburbs be better than the Western suburbs ?

Sorry for all these questions. I am in square 1 and don't want to make a bad move.

-
Sunny

I'd stay well away from both of those properties.

Trying to buy property with land at a that price point is not going to do you any favours. You need to be looking at apartments not houses.

Thanks for all the advice. Jacque and Jack I will consider what you said.
I am looking at properties such as these :
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-laverton-113372815
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-thomastown-113393327

When talking about suburbs to buy in the north, no one talks about the likes of thomastown and Lalor in the north. Is there a reason for this ? I understand that I'll be looking at already constructed houses, but its close to the city and other amenities.

If I have to consider apartments near the city. Is it better to look for something beyond Carlton ? The only thing about apartments that is putting me off is the corporate and council fees and the likeliness of high vacancies.

I am also considering Epping. Would these suburbs be better than the Western suburbs ?

Sorry for all these questions. I am in square 1 and don't want to make a bad move.

-
Sunny

Your limit of $280000 is the issue. For around $350,000 you can buy a house in a decent part of Lalor with development potential. Same with Epping and a touch more for Thomastown. For $280,000 you can try your luck buying some of the new/newer units for sale in these areas.

Oscar

I agree with Jake. Unfortunately, a lot of people in Australia tend to be very fixated on buying a "house" even though it may not be the best option for them and their situation.

Back