What's a good place to buy solid good cheap furniture??? - Brisbane

What's a good place to buy solid good cheap furniture?? - in Brisbane

Like cheap furniture to be put into a property so the property can be rented as "fully furnished".

eg.
Single Beds and Queen size bed, Mattresses
Desk
Chairs

But not super crap stuff that will break (break proof). (Need to last the test of time.)

Any recommendations???????????? :confused:

Also for white goods (i don't believe in buying second hand electronics so...) everyone think the best place for white goods is "The Good Guys?"

White goods: Fridges, washing machine.

also for furniture Gumtree is a good source of furniture.

Did you answer your own question? lol I just use gumtree for rental places as you said. You can get solid furniture for cheap there. It's second hand, but as soon as you put furniture into a rental it's going to be second hand anyway...

I fit out all my rentals with furniture from gumtree. Appliances I buy new because I think the same way, and don't like second hand electronics. I find Rt-edwards or clive anthony's can be really cheap when they have a sale, or appliances online can have some really good bargains too. The good guys has ALWAYS been more expensive than the other retailers I just mentioned whenever I've looked for appliances.

Did you answer your own question? lol I just use gumtree for rental places as you said. You can get solid furniture for cheap there. It's second hand, but as soon as you put furniture into a rental it's going to be second hand anyway...

I fit out all my rentals with furniture from gumtree. Appliances I buy new because I think the same way, and don't like second hand electronics. I find Rt-edwards or clive anthony's can be really cheap when they have a sale, or appliances online can have some really good bargains too. The good guys has ALWAYS been more expensive than the other retailers I just mentioned whenever I've looked for appliances.

Oh i see so gumtree all the way for furniture. it;s good to know others think the same way as you. yeah i'm not going to outfit the property with brand spanking new ultra rare stuff only to be mistreated...

RT-Edwards
and
Clive Anthony's

Oh ok I'll check Clive Anthonys out thanks!

I don't trust RT-Edwards coz it looks like they do rentals. What if they use rented out stuff and sell to you and pass off as new?

Does everyone else get their furniture for rental property through gumtree???

I've never had any issues with rt edwards passing off rental goods as new. I'm pretty sure office of fair trading would be all over them if they did.

You can usually tell pretty easily if what you have bought isn't actually new. If new it will still have protective plastic film on it, plus the random other packaging things that point to it being new.

I have however bought from appliances online and had the dishwasher they sent me have the blue plastic film ripped off, and the dishwasher was rusty. So yeah that was definitely not new...

Jhhifi I think may have taken over clive anthony's now, but they still have the same stock etc...

--note: appliancese online replaced the dishwasher with a better one for new.

Also check out bunnings for stoves and ovens, they sell some pretty cheap and nasty ones. But cheap and nasty is fine for a rental :p

I think kmart sells some cheap microwaves and $8 boiling jugs etc... too. But keep your receipt as their stuff can break.

What's a good place to buy solid good cheap furniture?? - in Brisbane

May I ask what type of property it is and in which suburb in Brisbane?

Generally furnishing a property ends up costing the owner more money over the years, and generally attracts transient tenants (and not much more rent, if any).

Just curious as to hear your story and motivations?

Matt

May I ask what type of property it is and in which suburb in Brisbane?

Generally furnishing a property ends up costing the owner more money over the years, and generally attracts transient tenants (and not much more rent, if any).

Just curious as to hear your story and motivations?

Matt

Hi Matty,

Yeah I am aware that furnishings attract transient tenants. But it's good you raised that point in thread. Also sometimes tenants are prepared to use their own furniture and if you have furniture sometimes they ask you to move it so they have room to put theirs in.

Umm.. In my case I believe I can significantly get more rent from having furnishings (130% more) and running home stay through universities for the lazy international students.

I disagree with you on the first half of your post, I don't think furniture will cost more over the years as I've never had anyone break any furniture so say. They damage it sometimes but it's just normal wear and tear. Nail remover spill on coffee table or dresser (the worst case). Although I collect bond I never penalize tenants for doing general wear and tear damages. :)

I never rent to unemployed centrelink people that might put holes in walls.

Also with furniture you can always sell it at the end of the day if you don't like it. :D

(Thanks for listening to my story...)

ikea?

make sure you get things that have a nice modern look. I've seen some pretty shabby furnishings and even though you can argue that it still gets higher rent, the quality of the tenant may not be so.

I love Ikea and I know in Sydney there is something similar about to launch. I know it doesnt help you (sorry) but for the Sydney siders- Poco. Apparently they are bigger than Ikea overseas, better quality and cheaper- so I've heard from their rep (which could be very biased) :)

It depends on what type of property it is.

One bedrooms in inner city: NEW high quality furniture can increase rent significantly (gumtree can be OK, but tenants like new and fancy)

2-3 bedrooms: generally don't get any extra rent, and it puts off 90% of tenants who already own furniture *but can increase rent marginally.

3+ bedrooms or in 'middle suburbs': no way jose.

UNLESS you are next to a university and renting by the room, then the above can change.

Also, my point about potential costs is more to do with appliances than 'furniture'. Appliances are generally quite expensive and when a tenant doesn't own them, they tend to use and abuse.

An example : In January we rented out two identical 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 car units in Highgate Hill (less than 1km from Brisbane CBD and very high demand).

One furnished with furniture around 10 years old (sofas, tables, beds, fridge, laundry, microwave, television) pretty good condition. Other unit empty.

Empty unit rented for $390 per week to a professional couple, furnished unit rented for $400 to two sharing students.

Since then, the owner of the furnished property has had to replace the fridge that packed it in ($650) and repair the washing machine ($270). As the owner provided these inclusions, they must repair/replace them as necessary. This is not typical, and this owner is unlucky, but it will eventually happen.

I also am pretty sure that the two students sharing are going to vacate after the 6 month lease is up. That owner ended up worse-off than the one who left it vacant. The cost of 'furnishing' over the last 2 months has eaten up 2 years worth of 'increased' rent.

It's definitely worth considering very carefully, and being very realistic about whether or not your target market are established households or new households.

Matt

Matt

Yeah, agree. No point if its in the middle of nowhere. Furnishings work well for students or professionals, most likely from interstate of overseas

One bedrooms in inner city: NEW high quality furniture can increase rent significantly (gumtree can be OK, but tenants like new and fancy)

2-3 bedrooms: generally don't get any extra rent, and it puts off 90% of tenants who already own furniture *but can increase rent marginally.

UNLESS you are next to a university and renting by the room, then the above can change.

Also, my point about potential costs is more to do with appliances than 'furniture'. Appliances are generally quite expensive and when a tenant doesn't own them, they tend to use and abuse.

An example : In January we rented out two identical 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 car units in Highgate Hill (less than 1km from Brisbane CBD and very high demand).

One furnished with furniture around 10 years old (sofas, tables, beds, fridge, laundry, microwave, television) pretty good condition. Other unit empty.

Empty unit rented for $390 per week to a professional couple, furnished unit rented for $400 to two sharing students.

Since then, the owner of the furnished property has had to replace the fridge that packed it in ($650) and repair the washing machine ($270). As the owner provided these inclusions, they must repair/replace them as necessary. This is not typical, and this owner is unlucky, but it will eventually happen.

I also am pretty sure that the two students sharing are going to vacate after the 6 month lease is up. That owner ended up worse-off than the one who left it vacant. The cost of 'furnishing' over the last 2 months has eaten up 2 years worth of 'increased' rent.

It's definitely worth considering very carefully, and being very realistic about whether or not your target market are established households or new households.

Matt

Oh ok I didn't consider you are talking about appliance. what you say makes sense. and yes if it's not theirs they dont care. i've had to replace microwave twice.

Yeah I have considered very carefully.

I'm 200% sure I can get more rent with furniture / appliance than without. It is a 5 bedroom house (1 master + 4 regular large rooms.)

I can have half half. some rooms have furniture and some rooms empty. but yeah furniture rooms rent for more when you are trying to do home stay.

eg. Homestay with 4 lazy students = $1000 rent - expenses (elec, water, internet, food + labour) = $840.

Rent to a family that have their own furniture = $480 ~ $500 (max)

Back