Property Investing Magazine Data

Hi,

At the back of each property investing magazine there is a state by state property price guide with data for each suburb. It takes up the last 40 pages of the magazine.

Does anyone know where I get that data in electronic format. For instansance is there a PDF of the magazine so I can copy and paste or an excel / csv file of it somewhere?

I have tried to scan and OCR the pages but there ends up being too many mistakes to correct.

Thanks for any help.

At a guess the magazine would buy the data from somewhere. You could always contact the magazine and ask who provides it for them and then contact that supplier who might also sell it to you.

Does anyone know where I get that data in electronic format. For instansance is there a PDF of the magazine so I can copy and paste or an excel / csv file of it somewhere?

I have tried to scan and OCR the pages but there ends up being too many mistakes to correct.

Thanks for any help.
You can purchase copies of API magazine from their website in pdf format. Not sure if this means it will convert from pdf to excel though.

I know that the magazines pay alot for the right to publish this data.

Would love to know if you manage to solve this one as I would love it myself.

Cheers,
Matt

As a compromise you could try Boomtown. http://boomapp.com.au/pages/menu/

A little more up to date than stats in magazines, uses stats from various sources, not just one such as RPData or APM etc therefore not consistent with one or the other ....and sometimes a lot different. But RPData often uses the last sales price as a median therefore median fluctuates BIG TIME .......so is no worse! And who is to say if RPData, APM, Residex etc is the most accurate ....there seems to be quite a bit of predicting and assumption in all calculations.

I have copied data onto spread sheets ie top 50 with highest DSR score in NSW so I could view the different columns in ranking.

Jeremy may be able to add more info as I'm sure he is constantly tweaking it to improve accuracy, and I would be interested how he chooses the supplier of each stat..... aiming for most accurate.

I subscribe to all 3 of the major property mags through their iPad editions. Obviously the data is digital there but I dont think there's a way of extracting the data (unless you can Jailbreak and/or examine the data on the Newsstand apps, get the file(s) that make up an individual magazine and extract the data somehow). The iPad version of the magazines is cheaper which I like and the indexing is useful on the iPad, it's not necessarily easier to GET at the info you need tho!

Thanks all for the responses.

I have an official PDF copy of API Jan edition. However you are unable to select the text on the page. It's locked. I have tried the OCR in Adobe Acrobat Standard but when you copy and paste the data it is all messed up.

There is not real easy way to get at the data. :(

Beachside - I am really after all house and unit data for all suburbs within each state. Not just the top 50 suburbs. Thanks for the suggestion I will investigate further on boomapp.

I know that the data is from RPdata as it says in fine print at the bottom, I might call them and ask.

Do anyone know if I was to subscribe to property finder, rpdata or reside if I would be able to get the same data as I see in the magazine but in an excel file? I don't have an account unfortunately.

Thank everyone.

It is part of the subscription that you can access this data, but not in a table format, so won't assist you in what you want to do.

You should have a play around with Boomtown, top 50 was only an example of what you can choose. There is the option for houses or units when searching suburbs, and if selecting.... say all suburbs with DSR above 20 in NSW it will have column showing unit or house. Unless they have changed where they get the data it is from a few sources, not just one ...as I was advised. Also don't put much confidence in stats for suburbs with a reliability rating below 6.

Hi,

At the back of each property investing magazine there is a state by state property price guide with data for each suburb. It takes up the last 40 pages of the magazine.

Thanks for any help.

The iPad version of the at one of the magazines offers sortable columns so you can switch the data around dynamically. It cannot be exported but.

Have any of you guys ever chosen a suburb to buy property in due to data in a magazine? Books like John Lindemann's advocate an examination of suburbs based on their past short term annual growth versus their long term growth and also the relationship between days on market and stock sold. What do you guys think, is this a good way to create a shortlist of suburbs?

I too would love the data to be in an excel format. But sometimes I wonder how reliable it is when their yield calculations make no sense at all.

Using the formula ((median rent*52)/median price*100) and picking the first 3 suburbs in the latest API data tables, the yields are listed at:

Ainslie 4.3%
Amaroo 5.1%
Aranda 3.8%

And they should be:
Ainslie 3.86%
Amaroo 5.4%
Aranda 3.8%

So just in this example, the yield formula given in the magazine works for only one of the three suburbs.

Back