Problems with our designer

We are currently trying to get working drawings complete for 6 townhouses in Melbourne's south east. We went to this firm (not sure if I can name them) with plans and permits and asked them to detail the plans in order to get our building permit. It is a very basic job. We talked to four different firms before we settled on engaging them. We looked at their previous work and it looked good and the designer who was to lead our little project seemed competent when we asked questions about our development and other similar developments. We went in, held a kick off meeting and they very confident that the work would get done within four weeks.

Then the problems started. The lead on our project unexpectedly left after four weeks with only half the plans done. The firm then handed it to someone else and then delivered to us an incomplete set of plans (when we reviewed them we had 8 pages of drafting errors and missing details) and gave us the bill. We were shocked at the what they gave us. There clearly had not been any independent verification of the work before the gave it to us. I would be ashamed to issue something of that quality to a client.

So we handed the plans back and two weeks later they provided us with a new revision. We again looked over them and they were an improvement but still had lots of very basic drafting errors on them. Bear in mind this is a basic townhouse development.

We asked them about how they verify their work before they issued it to clients but they got very defensive and took this to mean we were questioning their integrity! We feel they don't have any quality control and think the best thing to do is cut ties with them.

I would advise others to stay away on the basis that they have still not even come close to fulfilling their contract scope after 14 weeks and they have incredibly poor communication and verification.

Our problem is now how do we get the CAD files from them to give to another drafter to finish? The original designs were all done by us this firm were just meant to detail the drawings for construction.

We are currently trying to get working drawings complete for 6 townhouses in Melbourne's south east. We went to this firm (not sure if I can name them) with plans and permits and asked them to detail the plans in order to get our building permit. It is a very basic job. We talked to four different firms before we settled on engaging them. We looked at their previous work and it looked good and the designer who was to lead our little project seemed competent when we asked questions about our development and other similar developments. We went in, held a kick off meeting and they very confident that the work would get done within four weeks.

Then the problems started. The lead on our project unexpectedly left after four weeks with only half the plans done. The firm then handed it to someone else and then delivered to us an incomplete set of plans (when we reviewed them we had 8 pages of drafting errors and missing details) and gave us the bill. We were shocked at the what they gave us. There clearly had not been any independent verification of the work before the gave it to us. I would be ashamed to issue something of that quality to a client.

So we handed the plans back and two weeks later they provided us with a new revision. We again looked over them and they were an improvement but still had lots of very basic drafting errors on them. Bear in mind this is a basic townhouse development.

We asked them about how they verify their work before they issued it to clients but they got very defensive and took this to mean we were questioning their integrity! We feel they don't have any quality control and think the best thing to do is cut ties with them.

I would advise others to stay away on the basis that they have still not even come close to fulfilling their contract scope after 14 weeks and they have incredibly poor communication and verification.

Our problem is now how do we get the CAD files from them to give to another drafter to finish? The original designs were all done by us this firm were just meant to detail the drawings for construction.

surely you kept the origional cad files and merely gave them a copy ?

Pay promptly, ask nicely, don't hold your breath.

If you have a friendly engineer, 3D renderer etc, they would need the CAD version to work from. Get them to send them through to the other professional and request it from them once it has been transferred.

Many design firms will be reluctant to give CAD files in their raw form. I know this from experience when asking for architectural drawings in order to be able to get info for surveys.

As with anything if you go about it in a calm way, explain the situation and be friendly- this will be your best bet. Worst case scenario is to start from scratch again with another designer. In the whole scheme of the development this probably isn't a huge loss! Terrible to see that there is customer service like this floating about out there. 14 weeks for that amount of progress is disgusting.

If you like I'm more than happy to send you onto some designers and planners who provide excellent service.

All the best with it!

Haven't had a problem with my architect giving raw CAD files to my surveyor (Ashley Stacey) but it would require full payment of fees before they entertain the idea. It's similar to the solicitor's lien.

Our agreement just says soft copy, no indication whether that is CAD or pdf. There is nothing that stipulates they will or will not give CAD drawings. We paid them after the second revision without looking carefully through the drawings (amateur mistake) now we are really just being fobbed off. They won't however hand over the CAD.

We are hoping our engineer will do us a favour and send the files through. At the end of the day its not a big deal, I just don't like being ripped off.

PM if you want to avoid them.

todd there is a program (free download but cant thinkof the name - ill check tomorrow at work) that can convert pdf files to .dwg files. It's not perfect as the file will basically come in as a drawing that has had all the linework exploded. If it is pretty basic it shouldn't be a problem, may only take an hour or two to reproduce the whole set

Well, the good news is we got our floor plans, sections and elevations through our engineer. With that and the pdf's there shouldn't be too much cost to finish them off elswhere and get our building permit. Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

Hi toddkurnski,

Just be aware that because you have managed to get your hands on the CAD files doesn't necessarily mean you own the right to use them.

Copyright and moral rights law is complex and you need to be very careful that you wont contravene anything in your original contract with the company you engaged by using their drawings.

Cheers,

Sam

Back