Basix

If anyone in the Sydney area has had someone do their basix certificate for a granny flat, I would appreciate a personal message of their details. I have given it a go and found it completely confusing. I am in the Hornsby Shire. I want to avoid someone who just puts in things like double glazing to get a quick fix- want someone who considers cross ventilation etc. Thanks

Wow, that is very generous of you. I am just waiting for some feedback from our private certifier and I will be good to go- not sure how long that will take . We just found out we needed to have a separate laundry tub which has thrown us because we had everything down to a tee.

Thanks so much.

Rockstar by name rockstar at BASIX. You are a legend! What a kind offer...BASIX reports can do your head in for a novice....well done and culfran2 wish you well. Be interested to see how this goes on the forum....

If you start up a dummy BASIX account and let us all know the log in & password we can show everyone the details of how to go DIY. No need to put in the correct address of your property so you can keep that confidential. Would be handy to attach a floor plan for everyone if you know how.

It's quite simple after you have done one.

Thanks again. I am just adjusting the plans in light of the need for the laundry tub- looking at double vanity options, undersink mounts of basins/sinks. When I have done that I will try and set up the dummy account. AGain - thanks for your generosity. Did I already say this is a granny flat?

Thanks again. I am just adjusting the plans in light of the need for the laundry tub- looking at double vanity options, undersink mounts of basins/sinks. When I have done that I will try and set up the dummy account. AGain - thanks for your generosity. Did I already say this is a granny flat?

No worries. Happy to help.

I see you can register as an educational account which they wipe out after some time. Terms and conditions say that registered users can only use so we can leave this up to others to follow this. ;) I am registered so no prob's there.

Is the Granny Flat a separate dwelling or attached to an existing house?

Hi

It is a separate dwelling. When I first looked at basix that was one of the things that threw me too- I couldn't even understand how to divide up obligations. All ground is shared.

We have changed the design now to incorporate a tub. My husband (a Landscape Architect - not gardener) is drawing up the amended plan by hand. This takes time when you fit it in around work. I do however have a draft plan which has the same footprint.

Before starting the lesson /trial in basix, I have to know the window measurements (done), the gas instantaneous heater (done), gas heating, the placement of the windows (done), the insulation (done) etc???

Is the draft plan with the same footprint, my hand drawn scale drawing enough to start the process? I have to work out how to scan an A2 drawing. I am guessing I have to go to Officeworks. I do have a site survey too but that has our address on it. I could black that out and maybe scan that at Officeworks too.

Or...do we wait until my husband has drawn it up again.
Thanks again.

It is a separate dwelling.

Is the draft plan with the same footprint, my hand drawn scale drawing enough to start the process? I have to work out how to scan an A2 drawing.

A small hand drawn sketch is fine to illustrate what to do. No need to be very accurate or spend any money scanning A2.

Before starting the lesson /trial in basix, I have to know the window measurements (done), the gas instantaneous heater (done), gas heating, the placement of the windows (done), the insulation (done) etc???

Yep, window orientation and area in sqm per window or per direction.
Eave and verandah overhang above the windows.
Window type eg: aluminium.
Roof insulation
Roof type eg:gable, skillion, etc
Hot water system,oven and stove
roof and cladding materials
site area
Sqm of dwelling
Unconditioned floor area in relation to the dwelling - the total floor area of all bathrooms (not including ensuites) and laundries, with a ventilation opening.
Roof area
rain water tank size
Floor type

That will get us started. Don't worry about tap and toilet ratings yet. We can tweak a few things to get us over the pass mark if necessary.

Thanks again. Roof area: does that mean volume of roof space or sq meterage of each part of roof ie: roof tiles? I was hoping to get away without a rainwater tank but I would say it would be the minimum if we can't fiddle. I will need to select the oven and stove- I know the stove top will be a two burner gas cooking top and the oven will also be gas. Is that enough or do we need models and star ratings?

Flooring still hasn't been decided but we are thinking tiles in bathroom/ldry and maybe bamboo or vinyl elsewhere- not carpet.

It is a gable roof with terracotta tiles. 30 degree pitch.

I will come back to you. I am working until late tonight so don't have a chance to do anything today and maybe not until Friday when I am off.

How do I load a sketch? Thanks

Thanks again. Roof area: does that mean volume of roof space or sq meterage of each part of roof ie: roof tiles?

It is just the sqm area of space the roof occupies in plan view. Your hubby will know this. Normally floor area + eaves but could be more if you have a verandah or carport.

I was hoping to get away without a rainwater tank but I would say it would be the minimum if we can't fiddle.

It will be tough passing without a tank but we can have a fiddle.

I will need to select the oven and stove- I know the stove top will be a two burner gas cooking top and the oven will also be gas. Is that enough or do we need models and star ratings?

No models or star rating required. Gas oven and cooktop give good points.

Flooring still hasn't been decided but we are thinking tiles in bathroom/ldry and maybe bamboo or vinyl elsewhere- not carpet.

Don't need to indicate floor coverings

It is a gable roof with terracotta tiles. 30 degree pitch.

ok - pitch not required for data entry

How do I load a sketch? Thanks

Can your hubby create a simple pdf file? Then you can easily upload it from your computer by using "Manage Attachments" when you make a post. It is below this "reply to thread" box

Thanks for such good guidance.

Roof: 74m inc eaves of 450mm depth

No dishwasher.

Site is 752.5 m sq

Windows: All but one of these are reclaimed oregon leadlight windows so the frames are very heavy (basically act as lintels). I have included the square meterage of each one including these heavy frames and also just the glazed area per window.

North facing window 1 (kitchen): This is yet to be made but estimate confidently 1.12 m sq including timber frame and 0.6 glazing.

North facing window 2 (lounge/dining): 1.05 with timber frame, .66m sq of glazing.

East facing window 3 (lounge;/dining): 1.67 m sq with timber frame, 1 m sq of glazing

East facing window 4 (bedroom): 1.64 m sq with timber frame, 0.97m sq of glazing

West facing window 5 (bath): .38 m sq inc frame, 0.27 glazing

West facing window 6 (highlight window only storage) 0.28m sq including timber frame and 0.2 of glazing.

South facing window 7 (highlight window bedroom) 0.28 m sq inc frame , 0.2 glazing.

Unconditioned floor area in relation to the dwelling - the total floor area of all bathrooms (not including ensuites) and laundries, with a ventilation opening: I think this is the combined bathroom/laundry and it has ventilation because it has a window: 6.52m sq

Shall I set up the educational account? I might get another account too so it is all entered when I am ready to roll.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Granny flat basix plan.jpg
    Granny flat basix plan.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 104
Yep you can set it up. The site area is only that occupied by the GF. No need to include the area of main dwelling.

Is the GF converting an existing building?

If you start up a dummy BASIX account ... No need to put in the correct address of your property so you can keep that confidential.
I work with this database for about month time once a year as an analyst. These dummy entries and addresses give me huge headache... but I get paid for it so it is ok :p

No, it is a completely new area.

With regard to the granny flat site area, there really is no land allocated to just it. We are storing bins and putting a clothesline outside it. I guess we could allocate one side of the granny flat as its own land.

I work with this database for about month time once a year as an analyst. These dummy entries and addresses give me huge headache... but I get paid for it so it is ok :p

:eek: All in the spirit of education my friend so please forgive this little entry. Hopefully it helps some people go DIY BASIX.

https://www.basix.nsw.gov.au/information/tutorials_single.jsp

I have just been doing the tutorial on a single dwelling house.

I forgot to say we are doing one eastern facing skylight as well.

?s:

Do we do "deemed to comply?"

Is it the single dwelling house we do?

I note from the link below it says "NOTE: In the case of applications for 1 bedroom dwellings (e.g. granny flats) on sites with an existing dwelling, you may specify "0" as the area of garden and lawn.."

https://www.basix.nsw.gov.au/help_detached/water/landscape/private_landscape.htm

Another question: The link below says: "Window allowance:
BASIX allows you to omit 1 skylight (< 0.7m2) and up to 2 windows (< 0.7m2) from the DIY assessment. You cannot combine the allowance together to omit a larger window."

I am guessing you understand this anyway.

I am staying on basix to get more ideas and to generate the educational account. Stay tuned.

I am having a go on the educational site.

It says I cannot enter 0 for 'total area of garden and lawn' however, this link tells me that I can:

https://www.basix.nsw.gov.au/help_de..._landscape.htm

Maybe I should ring the info line about this.

I also wonder about the site size- two of the pieces of land adjoining the granny flat are access paths to the main house- one from the carpark and one from the rear lane fence. This means I can only count the two remaining sides of the granny flat and a 4m sq paved area. Total: 78m sq. The rest is shared- we will share a grassed/landscaped area of about 63m sq. What do you reckon I should enter as the site size?

Sorry about the multiple posts. I have just done one in the learning environment and passed (water 41%, energy 45%) BUT I am not sure about a couple of things:

1) The link I posted earlier said I could nominate 0 for grass and garden but it would not let me do that. I entered something else which was half of the garden that is shared with the house.

2) The site size got me- so again I added what was solely for the flat with half of what is shared with the house.

3) Heating- it doesn't allow for gas with no flue. We will be putting a bayonet fitting for a heater but that doesn't seem to have counted.

4) I thought the scores for energy and water were 25 and 40 but it shows 40 for both.

5) Insulation- It says ext wall- R 0.54 1.36 (or 1.9 including construction)
and

Flat ceiling and pitched roof- 2.5 roof: foil sarking.

I understand the insulation bit- I have to have 2.5 or higher rated insulation. But what does the 1.36 or 1.9 including construction mean?
With the R0.54, doesn't it mean I have to have something with this rating or above.

6) Rockstar if you can see a way to get rid of the water tank- unlikely I think, then I would appreciate your ideas. I think you were right when you said earlier there was no chance.

7) When talking about msq of indigenous/low water planting, is it referring to just dedicated land for the granny flat, or can it be anywhere on the whole site ie: related to existing house.

8) Are the timber windows I described the category of 'timber clear glass" as I described.

9) When nominating the 450mm eaves that go over the windows, is there a vertical distance imposition?

I am attaching the report and look forward to your thoughts.

Attachments

• granny flat 1 basix try.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Back