Another Value Add.

Princess Rd, Balga.

Was a triplex, now approved for nine (9) 1bed units. As attached.

Client was speechless when I delivered the news today that it was approved.

Attachments

• GR.jpg
    GR.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 366
  • UP.jpg
    UP.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 348
  • S.JPG
    S.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 278
and for those that like to see how things look.....:D

*edit* the image turned out a bit low-res, attached another.

Attachments

• E.jpg
    E.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 284
  • E1.jpg
    E1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 233
When I grow up I want to own a block of flats :D
That looks great Aaron. Very good use of land. It will be one of the first modern multi dwellings in the area. I will follow it with great interest. Is the owner on here?

When I grow up I want to own a block of flats :D
That looks great Aaron. Very good use of land. It will be one of the first modern multi dwellings in the area. I will follow it with great interest. Is the owner on here?

No, I don't think they are on here. They didn't mention if they were, anyway.

It was pretty much "this way or the highway" because to use the other boundary (easier levels) it would have overshadowed the neighbour completely.

I think there's some MDs going on down Camberwell Rd IIRC, but it's a long time between drinks when I'm out that way.

Aaron,
What is your client's plan for parking? I'm assuming the block is within 250m of a high frequency bus which is why there is 0.75 per dwelling - total 7 dedicated spots and 3 visitors.
Putting myself in their position I would struggle to decide which units to sell with a parking spot and which get none. Or just sell with no designated parking on title and parking is a 'free for all'

Great work Aaron,

What did the official council zoning allow for density and what were the keys to getting higher density through?

Cheers,
Matt

Great work Aaron,

What did the official council zoning allow for density and what were the keys to getting higher density through?

Cheers,
Matt

I'll stick my 2 cents in :)

The zoning is R40 which allows grouped dwellings and multi dwellings. The plot ratio for multi dwellings is 0.6 in R40 so it's pretty darn hard to get a project of decent size on a triplex block.

Aaron design has managed to make good use of the block and his client should get a higher return than 3 villas.

My back of the envelope calculations today

Block $400k
Build $1m (quite possible VERY wrong - there are 9 kitchens and bathrooms to account for)

A few have sold for other developments off plans and they are listed as $250k for 1 bedroom to $299 for 2 bedroom.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-balga-112121059

Let's say 9 x $250k = $2.25m
Gross Profit = 850k - holding costs, agents fees etc

I like that math! I've been thinking about it all weekend. I wanted to do a multi dwelling for my next project but didn't think a standard R40 800sqm block would work but Aaron has proved it can be. My brain is whirring with possibilities.

Aaron,
What is your client's plan for parking? I'm assuming the block is within 250m of a high frequency bus which is why there is 0.75 per dwelling - total 7 dedicated spots and 3 visitors.
Putting myself in their position I would struggle to decide which units to sell with a parking spot and which get none. Or just sell with no designated parking on title and parking is a 'free for all'

i was trying to tell Stilring that Princess Rd was a HFBR, but no, no.....they only have two listed in the whole shire.

Showed them the bus timetable - one bus every 13 mins on avg - they were forced to back down. Honestly, if you're going to sit there bare-faced and tell me it's not a high frequency bus route, at LEAST check the time table before putting your thoughts into a formal letter.:confused:

theres plenty of room for scooter parking etc, may even split one bay either side of the pedestrian path into four scooters. people in perth are just going to have to start getting used to having an apt with no dedicated carbay around public transport nodes.

matt, plot ratio is calcualted for class 2 dwellings (apts), min lot area (survey strata) is for class 1 dwellings (villas).

myf, cost was $1.4m turnkey incl earthworks and landscaping - still to pay headworks and run-ins on top of that. i can get six 2x1s on a standard triplex.

Aaron

What is the cost to put in that DA and what are the council costs (approximate in WA) in NSW we call it construction certificate costs.

Thanks
Sheryn

DA fees are about a third of one percent of projected construction costs, minus gst and finishing.

Hi Aaron,

I am super impressed with your designs, good use of land and your ability to produce design working around complex situation.

Do you only design for WA councils?

I am in NSW, and like many others on this forum, may want to use your skills for development projects.

Hey Aaron,

Do you have any idea rough estimate of construction costs for these 9 units? Is it close to Westminster's estimate of $1mill?

Princess Rd, Balga.

Was a triplex, now approved for nine (9) 1bed units. As attached.

Client was speechless when I delivered the news today that it was approved.

Hi Aaron
What is the actual size of the block??

This is certainly very interesting, as I have an 840sqm2 very close to Princess Rd.

I am keen to see how well they sell on completion. I know someone who is looking at doing this, she believes these projects are more suited to being built on main roads, transport etc.?? Any thoughts on this:)

Hi Aaron
What is the actual size of the block??

This is certainly very interesting, as I have an 840sqm2 very close to Princess Rd.

I am keen to see how well they sell on completion. I know someone who is looking at doing this, she believes these projects are more suited to being built on main roads, transport etc.?? Any thoughts on this:)

It's beneficial to have it close to a main bus route (or Train but there isn't one in Balga :p) as it reduces the number of car parking bays you have to provide. That in terms makes it easier to develop into a multi dwelling

If you keep the size of each apartment under 75sqm (you can do 2bed in 70) then you only need to supply 0.75 parking bays per dwelling if you are within 250m of a high frequency bus route. If you are more than 250m away then it's 1 bay for every dwelling less than 75sqm. Visitors bays are 0.25 for every dwelling (rounded up)

I'm pretty sure the block is probably around 730sqm and your 840 could provide 10-12 two bedroom apartments :)

It's beneficial to have it close to a main bus route (or Train but there isn't one in Balga :p) as it reduces the number of car parking bays you have to provide. That in terms makes it easier to develop into a multi dwelling

If you keep the size of each apartment under 75sqm (you can do 2bed in 70) then you only need to supply 0.75 parking bays per dwelling if you are within 250m of a high frequency bus route. If you are more than 250m away then it's 1 bay for every dwelling less than 75sqm. Visitors bays are 0.25 for every dwelling (rounded up)

I'm pretty sure the block is probably around 730sqm and your 840 could provide 10-12 two bedroom apartments :)

Hi WM
Thanks for posting, it certainly will be interesting to see if the multi units do take off, will open more options and perhaps greater margins.

Cheers, MTR

Back