* When did you last move house ? *

Hi Forum Friends,

Mrs Dubs and I have been in Mackay for the last 2 years and the work we moved up for is coming to a close.

We are now mid stream with packing up before we go on holiday to the States, and will move back to Brisbane on our return.

This will be our fourth move in the 9 years together, and we seem to cull more stuff each time.

When did you last move house and how much stuff do you have ?

We last moved house in 1988. For the past five years or so Mr Angel has suggested getting our timber floors redone, which is long overdue. However the thought of removing everything and replacing it a week later has me in a worse state of anxiety than the thought of paying for house insurance in North Qld. I have been culling for the entire five years but the progeny keep bringing more and more stuff home with them every time they go to Westfields. We will not be moving again any time soon.

We moved last August, 14 months ago. We moved from a fairly standard size house to our newly built house which was over double in size. Needless to say, we still culled all the crap, and anything we did want to keep, but not in the house, is in storage in one of my sheds.

Currently in the process of building my shed at home, but I dont want to hoard or accumulate any stuff. Im just hoping to have a few tools and park any cars (or a boat;)) one day!

I remember moving fairly vivdly. You know how you are so careful and conscious about not bruising or denting the paintowrk putting furnature in, drilling holes for TV brackets carefully, making sure you dont scratch tiles etc? Man I was stressing out bigtime.

Then I got my reward on the Friday after spending 4 days moving and cleaning etc. Not a well earned rest on the weekend - I nursed my vasectomy:eek:!

pinkboy:p

last move was about 4 weeks ago ... we've moved 9 times (or is it 10?) in the last 15 years ... some for work (3) ... some for reno (2) ... some for upsizing/reno and then back down again (3) ... some for financial (cheaper to buy then rent 1) ... 1 more move to go and then I'm stopping for a while (maybe)

Needless to say, the items I have are culled to the basics of things that I really like/need ... no stuff just for the sake of stuff.

I last moved on Thursday.

My possessions fitted into a long wheelbase Mercedes van, and are currently stored in a 50 square foot (4.5 m2) store room.

The previous move was almost exactly a year ago. I'd moved into that place in January 2011.

Before that I was in temporary accommodation in both London and the Netherlands for a period of about four or five months, having moved out of my place in Manchester in August. I think that I was there for eight months.

3.5 years ago when we decided we liked spending time in our little beachhouse (~85m2) more than our house in a nice suburb in town.

Squeezing two houses full of stuff into one (small house) did require a cleanout of quite epic proportions.

Last edited:
December last year. 16 months before that. 12 months before that. 2 years before that.

We're up for another move in December. Just around town this time rather than interstate.

We got everything down to a 3x3m storage shed (including queen bed). Since last move have added another queen bed (guest room), and a couple of desks (home enough now with our business to use desks rather than dining room table). Oh and added the dining room table (got rid of another one in the last December move - finally after years of trying)

Last moved in May, and I've moved 5 times in 5 years!

Don't have a great deal of things, but last move we filled a skip

Hoping next move to get rid of everything, and buying new furniture. Just got to convince hubby to get me my dream house, then but everything brand new :D

Moved four months ago to latest PPOR.

Culled a HEAP of things - I'm the opposite to a hoarder....which doesn't go down well with everyone else in the family :)

Cheers

Jamie

I'm up to 14 moves in 20 years...... about to move again in a few months to make 15.

BTW, no those moves aren't just around the corner.... nearly all are interstate or international. Hence may lack of empathy for those that whine about distance from family etc.... Some of us just deal with it! ;)

How much "stuff"?....... way too much!!! LOL.... we have a cull every move & I must say that as much as I enjoy seeing Australia and the world, moving never gets any less inconvenient.

Ahhh stability is great.

Between '95 and '04 we moved 12 times. 3 of those were international. Busy times indeed with a young family.

We've been in same spot since '04, we like it and have no intention of upgrading or moving again. They'll probably have to carry us both out in boxes.

Moving....we're over that nonsense.

We last moved in December. Wasn't the greatest as we were living in a hotel for 2 weeks due to our builder going bust 4 days before moving out of our rental. Since 2004 I've moved 9 times. Will be moving again in 12ish months when our next house is built but that will only be a few houses down the street.
For our last move we realised the same unopened boxes had moved with us 3 times. We threw them out on the basis that if we haven't needed them in the past few years they mustn't be important to us.

We moved in June after selling our PPOR, went overseas and will be moving to Perth from the Gold Coast in 2 weeks time! Driving across with our small amount of possessions. I'm currently sitting here plotting our journey on Google earth and being from England I still struggle with the shear size of this country. I hope we don't get lost out there!!!

I hope we stay and settle in Perth for a good few years - I want a puppy :)

Ems

We moved at the start of last year and are looking to move in Feb-March next year. We don't have too much stuff as we live in a 1 bedroom apartment which makes it a bit difficult.

Last move was 2004 and moved 7 times between 1989 and 2002 .

I might sell my farm in a few years and buy a bigger one . That will be more than 5 years away as my youngest son has a few more years of secondary school .

Back