TV & Movies - What are SS Members Watching

On the back of the Game of Thrones Thread

I was wondering what TV Series Somersoft Members are watching or anticipating the return of?

Or What Movies you've recently watched and enjoyed, or anticipating in the coming months?

TV Series recently watched (and mainly when away from home) have been:

• Game Of Thrones
  • Missing
  • Strike Back
  • Homeland

• Flip Men - Has been interesting to watch
  • How To Grow a Planet - Another interesting show

And re: Movies

• "What to Expect when you're Expecting" was a great movie to watch with the wife as was "Crazy, Stupid Love".
  • "Tinkerbell and the Secret of the Wings" was recently watched with the girls (5 & 7) who are on school holidays on the weekend.
  • "The Bourne Legacy" with my 14 yr old son (had a couple of free movie tickets that were expiring and we used them one weekend).

There was a game of thrones thread???

I love that show so much I have named my new car Khaleesi after the princess. I thought Valar Morghulis wouldn't have been quite as catchy :D

My current must watch TV shows are:

- Dexter Season 7 (Worthy #1 on IMDB top TV shows)
- Homeland Season 2
- Downton Abbey Season 3
- Once upon a time season 2

A bit of a mix bag but all amazing in their own ways. Obviously recommend starting from the beginning of each if you havn't seen any.

Films of the year so far:

- The Dark Knight Rises (Truly immense film on so many levels, not a comic book/film fan one bit usually but this has got to be up there in my top 5 ever. I had a lump in my throat at the end of a frickin Batman film for gods sake)

- Crazy Stupid Love (I very much 2nd this "I'm better than the Gap")

- Surprisingly I also found Looper a really decent watch too.

Looking forward to the Les Miserable movie later in the year too.

Great thread btw Redwing, I'm always looking for inspiration on the goggle box.

Last edited:
- Dexter Season 7 (Worthy #1 on IMDB top TV shows)

Really? I watch it every week, but let's face it, it has gone downhill fast since Season 4 (and Season 4 was only saved by John Lithgow). Anyway, watching:

- Dexter
- Homeland
- Bob's Burgers
- Parks and Recreation
- Sons of Anarchy
- The Walking Dead
- Archer
- Boss
- Breaking Bad
- Mad Men
- Modern Family
- Rake
- Futurama
- American Horror Story

I don't really watch movies at the theatre anymore, although I went and saw the new Batman, which was terrible (no surprise, since the second one was *almost* as bad). But a few movies I have seen lately (by lately I mean in the last 12 months, give or take) that I would recommend are:

- Moneyball
- Red State
- Dark Shadows (the best movie Tim Burton has made in a while)
- Unthinkable
- The Ides of March
- Dead Snow (you can't go wrong with Nazi zombies)
- The Crazies (surprisingly decent)

Planning to watch the El Mariachi trilogy this weekend.

Last edited:
Wife-Boss just bought me the entire Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle,24 dvd set from the ABC shop.... that will keep me off the street for a few days..

Last edited:
Shows I watch:
Mad Men
The Walking Dead
Doomsday Preppers
Falling Skies
Homeland

Shows my fiance and I watch together:
How I met your mother
Big Bang theory
Castle
30 Rock
Suits
Revolution
Modern Family
New Girl

Those are the main ones, I'm probably missing some.

On an unrelated note, Utorrent has put my downloads at a tad over 500gb since January...;)

When I get time.....

M*A*S*H

Kingswood Country (it's a wonder, but, yes it's back and still chock full of the great "racist" and politically incorrect stuff we get a belly laugh out of)

Big Bang

NCIS

Any doco with great photography in it about this wondrous world we live in/on.

I watch the sky business channel some evenings to keep up to date on stuff . I also like some of the ww2 documentaries on the history channel .

Saw the movie 'arbitrage' last Saturday . I thought it was good .

At the moment I'm reading think and grow rich for the second time . It's quite a heavy read but a good one .

They've got Breaking Bad at JB Hifi in a buy one, get one deal. It's had good reviews (I love having IMDB when looking at DVDs) so I've bought it- but I won't have a chance to watch just yet.

There's not a lot on TV that I like to watch- so I tend to buy DVD sets.

On TV, I'm watching the AFP doco- there's an episode on tonight I am especially interested in seeing. I was in IT working for them when it happened, apparently some of the ideas I put in helped to facilitate the investigation. This was at a time when a programmer could actually still contribute ideas, but I think that time was coming to an end.

I'm enjoying Anh Does Vietnam. He's a funny guy, and very genuinely likeable. He was a keynote speaker at a conference I was at earlier this year, and was great.

On DVD- most anything from HBO. Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Big Love, Treme, The Wire. Plus Boston Legal.

But for something quite different I've been listening to, and sometimes watching, material from The Great Courses. These are lectures- typically 12 to 24 hours for each course- on a big range of subjects. I've been listening to stuff mostly on music and language, with a touch of science and philosophy. The audio courses make great listening while in the car. They're a little expensive, but I enjoy the learning, The cheapest way to buy is buy audio download, although some courses are suitable only for watching.

Sometimes I'll borrow audiobooks from the library for car listening.

Oh yes. I recently bought the Dick Van Dyke Show on ebay. It was for my dad- but thought I'd watch it first. It's dated surprisingly well, and despite some very dated attitudes, still comes across very well. I remember it from when it used to be on in the early 60s, and some episodes I could still remember the plot line. It was based on a real comedy writing team- one of that team later became famous in his own right- Mel Brookes, who went on th do Get Smart, then movies like Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles and The Producers. It was interesting to see the actors many years later, commenting on the shows.

The Project
Andrew Bolt
Modern Family
Family Guy (with 11 year old son - bonding session :))
Tosh.O (with 11 year old again....we're sicko's)
Golf Channel
Fox Footy
Forensic Files (morbid fascination)
UFC (Fuel TV) (morbid fascination)
Sunrise (obsessed with Will and Kate :rolleyes:)
A Touch of Frost (and similar dramas)
Wiggles, Tikkabilla, Hi-5 (with 3 yr old)
Grand Designs

Last edited:
seeing a lot of series I really enjoy.

Breaking Bad.
Modern Family
Parks and Rec,.
Big Bang
How I Met Your Mother

Couple of others I like.

Sons of Anarchy.
Enjoyed Underbelly - but the original was the best.
Community
Workaholics.

Ditched the TV 7 years ago, never heard of most of the programs mentioned.
Haven't seen any episode of any US serial in the last 15 years, except the Simpsons & South Park.
Watch Daily Show & Colbert Report on the internet however.

Peppa pig is top of our playlist at home.
Im one that watches the idiot box - my regulars are home and away, winners and losers, puberty blues, x factor, farmer wants a wife

Back