Growing up poor

From ABC's 4 Corners Program

Online Link to the show if you missed it

Growing up poor in modern Australia: this week Four Corners asks children what it's like being poor in the midst of plenty.

We hear from the adult world all the time about what poverty is and how to fix it, but rarely from the children who experience it. Nobody likes to admit they're poor but children from five families allowed Four Corners into their lives to show us the world from their point of view:

"My parents get paid on Friday right, so during the week they probably have money. Wednesday, Thursday or sometimes Tuesday, you know, what are we supposed to eat?"

At 12, Jessica has a bleak view of her future:

"A good job, like where you get like heaps of money. I'd be like a decent mum, like a husband with no violence and everything, so it could be a happy family, you know, but like that would never happen..."

These are children living in areas of concentrated disadvantage where the adult world can be a scary place:

Hayden: "...my dad, he got bashed, he got sliced with a knife."

Some remain optimistic despite the chaos around them:

Dale: "Anything is possible when you put all your heart into it. Just try your best. I've been saying that a lot haven't I?"

The question arises, why isn't more being done to break the cycle of disadvantage? Will this generation of Australia's children be given more to hope for than their parents?

I'm having flashbacks..... I truly empathise with these kids. I really do. :( I just hope they can survive their childhood intact enough to break the cycle as soon as they are able. It is hard to turn your back on childhood "friends" and family but that is truly what it takes. Growing up on welfare enduring beatings from adults, having to watch women get abused, grievous bodily harm, knife attacks, being shot at, cowling in terror for years as a child, tormented, parental suicide attempts (one successful), self harm, prison visits, household drug & alcohol abuse......it goes on.... experienced far too many things and I cry for these kids. I really do. :mad: I have zero tolerance for domestic abuse and violence. Zero.... and the stupidity of some people to allow their kids to be exposed to this environment for year after year is infuriating.

Break the cycle. Never look back. Never regret. Keep moving forward.

Having grown up in a place with quite a lot of poverty, the thing that always struck me was how many of the 'poor people' were also quite antisocial (fighting, substance abuse, crime, etc).

It seems to me that the problem is not that poverty makes people behave this way, but rather that behaving this way leads to poverty.

The problem for the children is that they don't get to see much else, so they don't know how else to live.

I grew up in a poor area.

Those with a chip on their shoulder who kept on repeating how hardly done by they were remained poor.

Those who went, yeah, so what? and actually made the effort are no longer poor.

The problem for the children is that they don't get to see much else, so they don't know how else to live.

And thus the viscious cycle continues. Its pretty hard to break when you dont actually know whats out there!

Im betting half of those kids live 50k from the ocean and never seen it in real life!

pinkboy

What amazes me about these really really poor folk is they have a duty to do the best for their kids (I would have thought).

Now; even though they may be dog-poor, most adults have a decent amount of intelligence; enough to know what a decent life is like even though they haven't lived it themselves.

Why then don't these parents try to instill the right mindset into their kids?

You know; try to give them the mindset to study at school, to put in a good effort and reap a good result etc, and to not end up still living in the projects at 20 years old with 3 kids under 4 years of age and a welfare cheque each fortnight etc..

It's not hard, and it's free, and it's what a good parent should do.

What amazes me about these really really poor folk is they have a duty to do the best for their kids (I would have thought).

Now; even though they may be dog-poor, most adults have a decent amount of intelligence; enough to know what a decent life is like even though they haven't lived it themselves.

Why then don't these parents try to instill the right mindset into their kids?

You know; try to give them the mindset to study at school, to put in a good effort and reap a good result etc, and to not end up still living in the projects at 20 years old with 3 kids under 4 years of age and a welfare cheque each fortnight etc..

It's not hard, and it's free, and it's what a good parent should do.

In all fairness there are a lot of poor parents (in a monetary sense) who are good parents.

It tends to be the welfare class rather than the working poor where you have the issues.

In all fairness there are a lot of poor parents (in a monetary sense) who are good parents.
I know; mine were two of them.

They instilled good values in us, but not so good at the financial stuff.

It tends to be the welfare class rather than the working poor where you have the issues.
This was the group I was referring to mostly.

I know; mine were two of them.

They instilled good values in us, but not so good at the financial stuff.

This was the group I was referring to mostly.

Yeah, it's sad isn't it?

A lot of the people I went to school with have the me me me mentality :rolleyes:

I grew up in a poor area.

Those with a chip on their shoulder who kept on repeating how hardly done by they were remained poor.

Those who went, yeah, so what? and actually made the effort are no longer poor.

ohmigosh?!?!

you mean, hard work and mental effort got you somewhere?

but this is australia...we cut down our tall poppies. dont you dare try to be better than me - who do you think you are anyway? my opinion counts more than yours, and we all agree - have a toke.

ohmigosh?!?!

you mean, hard work and mental effort got you somewhere?

but this is australia...we cut down our tall poppies. dont you dare try to be better than me - who do you think you are anyway? my opinion counts more than yours, and we all agree - have a toke.

Almost seems like it came right out of Atlas Shrugged

The importance of good role model to a child is critical to the ease to which they can slide into a relatively "normal" life.
Those poor kids on four corners are really up against it, when for instance the Dad couldn't help the 8 yr old with homework as he couldn't spell. Those parents, though not entirely their own fault, have no idea that how they are behaving will set the scene for the next generation and I'm sure they were themselves subject to a very tough childhood. To break that chain of failure, would taking some of those children from their own families be a solution as tragic as that would be for those involved?

Relying on "payday" (which was a centrlink payment) linked their sense of entitlement to money that would appear in their account with absolutely no effort on their behalf. Those 5 families reminded me of some alienated Aboriginal community in NT.

when for instance the Dad couldn't help the 8 yr old with homework as he couldn't spell.
Where's the pride?

If I was an adult who couldn't spell I'd be ashamed of myself.

yeah; you can wang on about how there are spell checkers and all that these days...

So friggin' what?

Doesn't mean that just because you can; you should (be lazy and only use spell-checkers).

It's a terrible indictment on our lazy Aus culture.

See if you can find any Asian kids at school who can't spell.

Last edited:
Where's the pride?

yeah; you can wang on about how there are spell checkers and all that these days...

So friggin' what?

Doesn't mean that just because you can; you should (be lazy and only use spell-checkers).

See if you can fins any Asian kids at school who can't spell.

I really don't think the lowest socio-economic adults which can't spell are using spell-check, or any word processing programs to start with...

My parents are horrendous at spelling... Both dropped out of school by 13.

Where's the pride?

So friggin' what?

See if you can fins any Asian kids at school who can't spell.

I don't believe how judgemental and narrow minded you are with those statements.

I'm sure he was ashamed but that doesn't mean he needs people like you telling him he's no good and lazy. Some people just CAN'T learn to spell/read/write. I'm a teacher and some kids, no matter how hard you try, don't get it. Some because of low IQ, others because of learning difficulties.

Back