Granny Flat Conversions - Up to Zero Setbacks now Allowed

Well guys,

As of today, I have written permission from my Private Certifier (and NSW Planning) to go ahead and do shed/garage conversions as COMPLYING DEVELOPMENT via the 'Affordable Rental Housing SEPP' even when:
A. The setbacks are less than 900mm for the sides and
B. The setbacks are less than 3 metres for the rear.

Previously, an existing shed or garage situated at, say, 500mm from the side or less than 3 mtrs from the rear couldn't be approved. Well, to my surprise, they can now.

This means you can get 10 Day Approval as follows:
1. The usual approval process prevails with the usual Survey, plans, specs and forms etc being submitted to the Certifier for Approval.

2. We shouldn't need BASIX (Energy Efficiency) approval because it's not a new building. This saves $$ on the renovation work because you wont need energy-efficient hot water, glazing, taps etc. My certifier is getting this info to confirm from BASIX NSW today/tomorrow, and I'll confirm this.

3. If the structure is less than 900mm from boundaries, a Fire-Rated-Wall will be needed and no openings on those sides are allowed, but this is quite achievable. It can be bricked-up OR James-Hardi (or similar) product can be used to meet this rule. This is only relevant if the structure is less than 900mm from the rear or side boundaries.

4. The existing slab must be inspected and certified by an Engineer that it meets the relevant Australian Standards and BCA for residential buildings. Extra Cost? About $900 to $1200

5. All of the other SEPP rules must still be met, such as:
(a) Drainage
(b) Minimum landscaping
(c) Maximum Floor Space (60 sq m)

Heights, though, shouldn't pose the same issues as before, where any height above 3.8m must be tripled and added to the prescribed 3m rear setback. How can it? lol

Im honestly shocked...but it's true.
The coup here is that previously, the prescriptive setbacks (especially 3m from the rear) meant that you could not get granny flat approval for conversions, due to the setback failings of almost all existing garages and sheds.

Actually, the opportunities here are quite interesting. What if you built a Complying Development shed first, then had it converted into a granny flat? Sheds are allowed at 4.8m height with a 900m setback to rear/sides. I don't want to say too much on this, but think about it and you'll see my meaning.

I wont provide the actual written evidence here either, but needless to say I can now do granny flat conversions where the setbacks are as little as zero to rear and side boundaries.

I have to give credit to one of the members on this forum because it was he who initially got Planning to see things his way.

I reckon i get 3-4 requests to do granny flat conversions every week and Ive pretty much always said no, primarily because they dont (or didnt) meet the Setback requirements...so I hope this helps people looking to convert their existing outbuilding (shed/garage) into a granny flat! Discuss!

Serge.

Last edited:
Serge, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't most slabs that were laid for garages, not comply with BCA standards for resi buildings?

Serge, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't most slabs that were laid for garages, not comply with BCA standards for resi buildings?

Yes and I have always had the same reservations.
As you know, you need an agreeable Engineer to sign off on it. My Engineer is about as anal/paranoid as they come but he's told me that Class-10 Slabs vs Class-1a Slabs both satisfy (him) that the structure can be adequately supported. The difference is more beams for residential slabs. As long as the load-bearing forces dont change he has no issues with it. He core-drills the slab to check for adequate reinforcement as well.

My issue is that you have to cut the slab to allow floor-drains and sewer pipe(s). This is not a fun part of conversion at all.

Very good question though, Propertunity.

RE: BASIX

The Certifier just got back to me after he spoke to BASIX NSW and they have confirmed we MUST do BASIX for granny flat conversions :(

Sweet!

Hypothetical here re the slab;

If the engineer says that the slab needs work to be brought up to standard, any idea what that involves? How much does the engineer charge for this service?

Well this is interesting news.

I think Brazen, I am the forum member you are referring to getting the planning dept to read the legislation their way. However to be honest after that I hit a bit of a hurdle in that I then couldn't find a certifier who wanted to stick their neck out in a grey area. I was still in the process of looking for an agreeable one.

I may give you a call about all this actually. And I know you have a company, so you do now do garage conversions or just approvals??

Excellent Serge.

I am now revisiting the idea of converting the garage in our PPOR to a granny flat and using it as a serviced apartment (as per Depreciator's post some time ago).

I'll contact you privately shortly.

I believe Serge (Brazen) is out of action at the moment - so if he takes a little while to respond don't think he isn't interested :)

Regards,

Jason

Hoping to write about this - have been in contact with Serge and just waiting on getting some finer details. If anyone's had success, I'm keen to hear about it. A couple of different GF certifiers have told me they wouldn't even attempt it. But it only takes one...

Hey great news Serge- I look forward to receiving the written changes when you're able to share them. This will be very interesting given the large amount (read overwhelming majority) of freestanding garages that may now be possibly suitable for conversions.

Hi Guys,

Sorry, Ive ben in hospital getting my gallblader removed for a few days- had it removed yesterday so Im staring at a ceiling right now.

We've already done 3 conversions, so the legislation is sound. We do have to do BASIX, which is ok for new conversions but existing conversions will usually need an 'Electric Heat Pump' hot water system if no gas is available.

If there's no eaves over some windows, you might also need a new 'miniature awning' over large glazed areas.

You'll also need an Engineer's ticket for the slab and frame (my guy charges $1000 incl gst). The Engineer will visit the site to do this.

A 'waterproofing certificate' will also be needed for the bathroom/wet areas and Ive found a guy who will do this for approx $250 depending on travel.

Otherwise we are good to get them done :)

Serge

Hi Guys,

Sorry, Ive ben in hospital getting my gallblader removed for a few days- had it removed yesterday so Im staring at a ceiling right now.

We've already done 3 conversions, so the legislation is sound. We do have to do BASIX, which is ok for new conversions but existing conversions will usually need an 'Electric Heat Pump' hot water system if no gas is available.

If there's no eaves over some windows, you might also need a new 'miniature awning' over large glazed areas.

You'll also need an Engineer's ticket for the slab and frame (my guy charges $1000 incl gst). The Engineer will visit the site to do this.

A 'waterproofing certificate' will also be needed for the bathroom/wet areas and Ive found a guy who will do this for approx $250 depending on travel.

Otherwise we are good to get them done :)

Serge

Rest up Serge and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Will be in touch when you're back in action, I'm sure....

Serge will be doing mine next week. I'll let you all know how it all goes. I can see houses with detached double brick garages now becoming high demand :)

Thanks Jacque, thanks Guys!
I'm back at home but still quite sore in the tummy area. I should be good for crazy action on Monday morning :)

Hey Serge what about the ceiling height of old garages, given that most of them are just over 2m? Isn't there a minimum requirement of 2.4m?

Hey Serge what about the ceiling height of old garages, given that most of them are just over 2m? Isn't there a minimum requirement of 2.4m?

Hey Jacque,
Good question.
It's a BCA (Building code of Australia) rule that all habitable rooms (doesn't include kitchens, bathrooms and laundries) must have an average height of 2.4m measured from floor to ceiling.

If the existing garage (or shed) doesn't meet this, the only available options, listed from least to most expensive are:
1. Line the roof above the ceiling and leave the rafters/trusses exposed. This will meet the BCA but the exposed timber is not too pretty usually. You could encase the timber and beautify it but this needs work of course.
2. Lift the roof up and install top-plates on the external walls to increase the wall-height.
3. Create a new roof which is skillioned (slanted), by raising just one side of the garage wall and creating a flat-roof.

These are really the only options I think.

Back