suburb data

I found the data section at the back of some of the property investment magazine (e.g. SPI) quite useful. These are usually pages of tables containing the median price, 1,3,5 years growth percentage as well as rental yield.

What is the best way to obain the same type of data but in soft format ? i.e. Excel spreadsheet or even databases ?

You've identified one of the problems with the data available for property investing.

Complete tables of information are held by the three corporate data houses: RP Data, Residex & APM.

The problem is that they fiercely protect this data as that's where their income comes from. You will find that periodically these companies will release overall tables that compare many suburbs but these reports are only available for purchase.

There are free sources like investsmart as aforementioned. The problem with this source is that the statistics are not always as accurate as the paid sources.

There is SQM Research that provides some data at no cost.

The ABS has a plethora of other useful information such as population growth and income growth.

Real Estate Bodies such as the REIV can make data available upon request but they only keep track of sale prices and medians so once again the data isn't that accurate.

It's my personal belief that the property market should have the same level of data availability as the share market.

There should be platforms available to people that show hedonic, stratified, geospatial statistics in a manner where searches can compile information from the entire nation and enable investors to narrow down the exact street they want to buy in given their goals.

Alas we seem to be a long way off.

You've identified one of the problems with the data available for property investing.

Complete tables of information are held by the three corporate data houses: RP Data, Residex & APM.

The problem is that they fiercely protect this data as that's where their income comes from. You will find that periodically these companies will release overall tables that compare many suburbs but these reports are only available for purchase.

Hi Jake, so to obtain a soft copy of the tables published on the magazines I'll need to purchase them via RP Data, Residex, APM or pricefinder ? If that's the case, I don't mind paying for data, after all, there's a cost involved in collecting those data in the first place. What I'm unsure of is whether these company sell the complete tables as they seem to be only marketing reports on individual suburbs or properties.

This came accross my inbox the other day, simply enter your email and you can get the report in excel and pdf. It gives a comparison of the median price vs rent, plus the difference in monthly mortgage repayments and rental income.

Fairly limited but a good starting point if nothing else

http://www.myrp.com.au/buyorrent

You can use the iPad app of SPI to play with the data a bit more and search through it all. I know the design team went to quite a bit of work to make it searchable.

Otherwise, the research houses sell it directly but it can be pretty costly!

We also have a Pricefinder subscription here that is invaluable when keeping an eye on different areas.

may be a bit of a long shot - some scanners (we have one at work) can scan documents to xls format. The better the document quality the better it works so i'd say a magazine page would work great

Back