Somersoft Timepieces

Maybe you should kick it off by telling everyone what type of watch you wear.

I have a Tag Heuer worth about $1500 given to me as a gift but dont wear it because I use my phone to check the time.

:) I have a $2 rolex that I bought in Shanghai :)

Does that count ... Think I'll upgrade to a $3 chanel when i go to HK

seriously though.. I don't wear a watch anymore either. My daughter wears the original seiko that i bought with my first paycheck back in (cough) the very late 70's still goes like a trooper.

I have a JAG that was a gift from ex girlfriend, gave her a hard time then because I already had a watch and didnt see the point in having another.
Now I wear it most days, still get compliments on how nice a watch it is :eek:

Also have a watch that doesnt really get worn, or actually know where it is, gift from parents from a birthday. Was a nice design then, but bit outdated now.

Picked up a good quality fake in Bali for $60 its a fake of a Mont Blanc, the real one costs $5500 looks pretty much same. Few slight difference.

I love watches but wear a fairly modest Citizen Eco-Drive which I bought about 6 years ago. It was on sale for $250, reduced from $750. I'd love to buy a much finer watch, but I just can't justify the purchase. Doesn't stop me from drooling over them, though!

I hate when people say watches are redundant. I find taking a phone out to check the time really irritating. Much easier to just flick my wrist.

I often have strangers asking me for the time when they see the watch, especially at bus stops and whatnot, so I get to feel helpful, too!

Bought a Tag Link a few months back, with the proceeds of a bonus. Wife flipped out when I showed her the receipt. (Mistake no. 1)

Omega Seamaster Professional (James Bond edition) in my daily wearer, which I forget to wear, most days :)

Rene Rivkin said that a man should have just one piece of jewellery and it should be a fine timepiece.

Watches are as much an expression of personality and an art form as a mechanism by which to keep track of time.

I have a Breitling Emergency which was functional for work purposes (Ex Military Door Gunner then Offshore Medic so travelling over sea all the time)

I got it cleaned and serviced and it is now in storage as they are phasing out the 243 mhz civilian distress monitoring service.

My daily watch is the new Rolex Sea Dweller Deep Sea, i was tempted to leave it in the box but thought it was a waste so i wear it every day and it comes back like new every time it is serviced.

No more watches until i buy at least another 3 properties for our Portfolio, the Rolex was a treat to myself before knuckling down and saving every penny for deposits.

It was 12.5k here in Oz but i bought it in the UK for 6.2k GBP with the 20% VAT claimed back as well which was a nice saving.

tissot-visodate-1957_2.jpg

Looking to pick up one of these. Just something a little retro, doesn't cost that much. Will still be looking to knock to the B&M stores in price, as online is substantially cheaper. Will see how I go.

In regards to using the phone instead, I've found it can look somewhat rude if you do this in a meeting, as it may give the impression you're checking for messages than following the conversation. And hey, I like pretty things. :)

I'm a sad fan of a few cheap Chinese watch companies. Parnis is one (ebay has loads).

Use high quality movements (Seagull automatic for one) which are often bought by much larger swiss manufacturers to be taken apart and polished and then claimed as "swiss made" watches.

I have around 7 or so. I think the most I paid for one was $60 including postage and they have been going strong. I mix between automatics and hand winds (I don't like quartz) and they are generally +/- 1 second a day which is pretty good.

I love watches too. I rarely wear any other type of jewellery - which for a chick is unusual I suppose. I've never spent more than $200 on one though.

I'm loving my white Baby G watch at the moment. It makes me feel fit and sporty while wearing it even though those days are long gone... :D

I love watches too. I rarely wear any other type of jewellery - which for a chick is unusual I suppose. I've never spent more than $200 on one though.

I'm loving my white Baby G watch at the moment. It makes me feel fit and sporty while wearing it even though those days are long gone... :D

Agree it's a fashion item - that also happens to be practical.

Often a watch is understated but stylish, and worn with little other jewellery, unlike big gold chains, and multiple diamonds covering the hands. Personally I think that looks yucky/tacky.

If your going to skip other jewellery you might as well pay a bit extra for your watch and get something that feels nice to wear.

A less is more item for sure.

I've still got a Casio 100m water resist digital watch that my parent's bought me back in my early teens that I could wear out surfing. I'm now 44 and it is still going strong, even if I don't surf anymore. I just change the battery every few years and watch jewelers ooh and aah over its longevity.

Back