Wagga Wagga council

Anybody with property in wagga had any experience dealing with council?

Im trying to find out there attitudes on development and minimum lot size's for certain developments (e.g. subdivisions/granny flats) but having a little trouble...

Going to visit this weekend- will take a drive around the suburbs, view a few places and talk to a few agents, will report back with my observations if anybody wants

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. I have no property there but know people who do.

Purely food for thought: Mt Austin, Tolland and Ashmont have a large proportion of government housing while Ziegler Avenue in Kooringal is notorious for all the wrong reasons.

Enjoy your visit. The people are very friendly.

Ziegler Avenue in Kooringal is notorious for all the wrong reasons.

I looked at a place on Ziegler a few years back.

There was a sea of bongs out in the front yard of the property.

When the owner finally woke up to let us in - we were greeted with the most disgusting property I've ever seen. Holes in walls everywhere - flooring was in a state. It looked like they had bonfires in the living room. Kitchen was falling apart and bathroom was....well, you get the picture. There was a fair bit of grafiti on the fences as well.

I'm all for a cosmetic reno but this was out of my league.

The vibe on that street just wasn't right either.

Cheers

Jamie

Anybody with property in wagga had any experience dealing with council?

Im trying to find out there attitudes on development and minimum lot size's for certain developments (e.g. subdivisions/granny flats) but having a little trouble...

Going to visit this weekend- will take a drive around the suburbs, view a few places and talk to a few agents, will report back with my observations if anybody wants

Love to get some feed back after your visit as I may be looking there in the near future. Thanks!!

I looked at a place on Ziegler a few years back.

There was a sea of bongs out in the front yard of the property.

When the owner finally woke up to let us in - we were greeted with the most disgusting property I've ever seen. Holes in walls everywhere - flooring was in a state. It looked like they had bonfires in the living room. Kitchen was falling apart and bathroom was....well, you get the picture. There was a fair bit of grafiti on the fences as well.

I'm all for a cosmetic reno but this was out of my league.

The vibe on that street just wasn't right either.

Cheers

Jamie

I’ve heard a few people say negative things about Ziegler av. Isn’t it just the middle part of the street which is rough?

Has anybody who has invested in the area see an improvement in the rough areas/suburbs? I’m hoping to find a good deal in a not-so-good area (or a good area if possible!). Just wondering what the chances are of these rough suburbs cleaning up and getting gentrified over time....

Im hoping to find these good and bad pockets buy actually driving and walking some of the areas. Sounds like im in for a bit of fun!!

hopefully anyone with I.P in the area can share there insights..

Yep it's just the middle of Ziegler that the problem.
It really depends on the neighbours as to how bad the streets are. We have a place in ashmont with the same tenant for over 3 years. Was some vandalism to the front of house a month or so back but before then it's been a while since there were any issues.
Be careful when looking. Particularly near ashmont shops and around toy place in Tolland . Go in those areas in the morning while the majority of the natives are still in bed

wagga property

Funny - hubby lived in Zeigler Ave as a kid - he turned out OK:)

Have a house in Estella - doing Ok except for tenants burning the kitchen (boys with hot oil....) - not as bad as it could of been and fully insured and no-one hurt thankfully.

Just wondering about views on Wagga..Council seems fairly useless, not sure where Wagga prop is going??

I don't see the growth being spectacular - from memory, the historical growth for most of Wagga has been around the 7% mark for the last decade. I wouldn't be surpised if it continues to coast along at this rate.

I think it's a good market for proactive investors willing to hunt out decent deals and perhaps take a punt with some of the dodgy dept. of housing stock that is flogged off at auctions all the time. Some of these properties can be spruced up cheaply for a quick equity gain.

Cheers

Jamie

With the exception of far north coast council's, regional councils are generally ok to deal with.

What kind of specific work?

I have a unit at number 80s, is that in the middle of Ziegler Av?
Bought $128k, renting for $180+, I don't live around that area though, so far as owning the place, this is the first time I heard about Ziegler Ave

mysrh, the 80s places it about opposite a Kooringal High School which mean it's it's heavily trafficked, out in the open, visible and not the best place to be getting up to no good (at least, not during daylight hours).

I use to live in Ziegler Ave (currently live in Canberra) and I can confirm it has gotten worse, I would avoid the whole street and the surrounding streets as well (Edney St mainly).

The local council is pretty good from my understanding as there is a fair bit of residential development in Wagga Wagga.

I currently have two IP's in Wagga - but this is mainly due to the fact I can be my own property manager as I know both tenants. As mentioned before there are good areas and bad areas of wagga.

If you need any general info about wagga send me a PM.

Cheers

Josh

Hey guys.
Want to bump this thread. I have a place in mt Austin which I was visiting over the weekend. Checked out another place in Ziegler ave. I am well aware of the streets reputation. I have to say all the units in the 80s (opposite the school) looked good, and that whole end of the street seemed surprisingly nice. In saying that - I wasn't there for long, and it was daylight hours. I'd love some others current opinions on the street/area.

Hey guys.
Want to bump this thread. I have a place in mt Austin which I was visiting over the weekend. Checked out another place in Ziegler ave. I am well aware of the streets reputation. I have to say all the units in the 80s (opposite the school) looked good, and that whole end of the street seemed surprisingly nice. In saying that - I wasn't there for long, and it was daylight hours. I'd love some others current opinions on the street/area.

Go back at 9pm on a friday. That's when you want to sniff it out..

Go back at 9pm on a friday. That's when you want to sniff it out..

Lol no way! Seriously you could get yourself in trouble if you go to the wrong parts at that time of night. Take a drive around 9 or 10am. Kooringal High is a good school so there isn't much trouble around there at all but drive a bit further up the road and you will notice a difference. Check out yards with a large number if cars or parts of cars, garages with sheets on the windows and life of green hessian covering. No idea what the deal is there (must be cheap) but it seems prolific in doh homes. The road bends around a bit. The furthest point away from the school was the worst part when I was looking

haha!
We looked at a place in tichbourne street a few weeks ago which is just off Zeigler. There was a removal trailer out the front and when I went through the house there were boxes everywhere and the place had been severely trashed. I thought "Thank god they got rid of those tenants," but then I realised these guys were moving IN - this place had holes in every wall and not a single tile left in the kitchen? and they're moving IN???

Looked in the 3rd bedroom and saw 2 people lying on the bed (no dramas) until I realised the girl was topless - she didn't seem to concerned about the agent, myself and my 5 year old looking through the cupboards, trying to pretend she wasn't there!

We decided not to make an offer on that one!

Hi there,

Ive lived in Wagga Wagga all my life, bought/sold/built, have one IP and just had offer accpeted on #2.

Im follwing this thread closely as we will need to subdivide IP#1 and it falls a couple short in landsize. The Duty Officer down there (Peter I think his name is), is very helpful with talking things through with you but is also very quick to point out that he can't approve anything etc, all has to go through correct process

DA for the build with our current home - no worries at all the council.

DAAS

In relation to areas..... Zielger and Tichbourne are getting better but would I own a property there? No. In another 10 years or so if it keeps heading in its current direction then yes possibly.

DAAS how is Wagga feeling on ground...

Whats the vibe like is there confidence in the area?

I purchased a IP there <1YR ago my tenant lost his job but has now picked up work elsewhere.

I saw long term growth in Wagga so just wanting to know how its kicking along at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Back