Rockhampton

I am looking at rockhampton as a place to invest as my next destination based on its still affordable entry point, just wanted get opinion from locals and other investors what are good suburbs to invest that will easily be rented to family oriented and professional tenants.

Any help / thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I am looking at rockhampton as a place to invest as my next destination based on its still affordable entry point, just wanted get opinion from locals and other investors what are good suburbs to invest that will easily be rented to family oriented and professional tenants.

May I suggest potentially expanding your search area to Gracemere as well? It's a growing town just south of Rocky where a lot people live (they live there, shop in Rocky, and work in either Rocky or Gladstone).

One thing worth considering as well are there are some suburbs very prone to flooding including Depot Hill and West Rockhampton. A point worth keeping in mind since these suburbs were flooded back in 2010/11.

Thanks, what is your opinion about Norman Gardens & Frenchville? I did some research seems to be good area

Thanks, what is your opinion about Norman Gardens & Frenchville? I did some research seems to be good area

Both are the nicer 'suburban leafy areas' of Rocky. My best mate bought his PPOR in Norman Gardens about 12mths ago. Good little area. I dont believe it floods much either without looking at the flood maps.

As above, dont be tempted by Depot Hill or Berserker. Also look out for the many Qlders that have been made into 'dual occ' however dont comply with Council.

pinkboy

The Rockhampton Regional Council Web site have some realy good flood maps though they are a little over done for the flood areas. Some good return and plenty of potential. Be careful of Gracemere solid area and handy for the Gladstone and transit to the mines but a bit over hyped

Check the flood maps carefully. You will find there was a MAJOR media hype as with most flood reporting and only a small % of Rocky actually floods.

Unlike say Emerald, any newer areas in Rocky won't flood.

Rocky never seems to fire like the rest of CQ but is steady and has low vacancy rates at the moment from what I gather.

Thanks guys will check the flood map as well as insurer before buying as I don't want to get caught out with the insurer as well.
Neil , Unlike say Emerald, any newer areas in Rocky won't flood. - What is the reason behind this statement? Just wondering

Thanks guys will check the flood map as well as insurer before buying as I don't want to get caught out with the insurer as well.
Neil , Unlike say Emerald, any newer areas in Rocky won't flood. - What is the reason behind this statement? Just wondering

The newest areas being developed in Rockhampton are in the north, well away and elevated above the Fitzroy River.

Rocky has been flooding since first settlement. Biggest was 1918. Plenty of knowledge.

Emerald has boomed for 30-40 years and no major floods in that time or recently prior to that so it appeared in allhonesty, nobody knew what might happen. Plus yes Emerald is so flat.

One project worth watching in the area is the Balaclava Island Coal Export Terminal (BICET), which is a proposed expansion of the port at Port Alma just south of Rockhampton. It is currently in feasibility stage, and is proposed to be even bigger than the currently under construction Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal (WICET) just north of Gladstone which is doing wonders for the Gladstone region along with the LNG hubs that dominate talk of Gladstone outside the area.

OK, that is an interesting development. Anyone have any recommendation of good property managers around rockhampton?

Maybe do a search within this site on Rocky,several bought into just before it went up in value in a big way,maybe about 5 years ago..

norman gardens is good because it is close to CQU uni.. or what ever they have renamed the uni to now-a-days.. ..

Be awaare with some of the older qld'ers in frenchvlle because of white ants.. so make sure u do a b&p.

Other then that.. up in the hills of frenchville towards mt archer you also get the yearly fire it seems... so there can be fire issues if you are at the base of the mountain next to the bushland.

Otherthen that... make sure property has fans and air con... Rockys summer days are normally 36-39 degrees, but low humidty... so ppl tend to love their air con for summer!.

Back