Are corner blocks less desirable?

I'm looking to buy a block of land in a new estate and can't decide whether to choose a corner block or a standard one. We intend to build with the intention of selling a year or two later. If the standard blocks sell out before our appointment I'm not sure whether taking a corner block for the same price is a fair price in terms of end product desirability for potential purchasers.
Are people put off buying houses on corner blocks for their family home or is there no difference? For the buyers agents and prolific buyers out there, is there a general trend in prices differing tween a standard block vs corner block for comparable houses?
Would be interested in hearing comments whether you would buy a house on a corner block if ticked all the right boxes or would a corner block turn you off?

Too much mowing for an Aussie and if it is a new estate there will be no redevelopment options.

If you are going to live there, 'tis personal taste.

Better to develop on.

Potentially more traffic.

If its an H&L maybe not worth buying in the first place though!

I lived in a small corner block before. No privacy at all. You can't even put the fence up because drivers need to see the other vehicles. Even other two sides generally have houses close by. Light & noise coming from turning vehicles give a bit of trouble too.

It is a different story as an IP with a larger lot size though.

I would never consider purchasing a corner block due to additional maintenance and decreased privacy. Dual street frontage would provide me no utility.

I'm looking to buy a block of land in a new estate and can't decide whether to choose a corner block or a standard one. We intend to build with the intention of selling a year or two later. If the standard blocks sell out before our appointment I'm not sure whether taking a corner block for the same price is a fair price in terms of end product desirability for potential purchasers.
Are people put off buying houses on corner blocks for their family home or is there no difference? For the buyers agents and prolific buyers out there, is there a general trend in prices differing tween a standard block vs corner block for comparable houses?
Would be interested in hearing comments whether you would buy a house on a corner block if ticked all the right boxes or would a corner block turn you off?

If you are going to by in a new estate, get your plan correct, a north facing side along the side can add great light into all your living areas.

Substantial decrease in privacy.

Only worth it if you have a boat, multiple cars or other reason for wanting two street access.

Putting aside redevelopment.

I bought a 1000 sq corner block ip with granny flat. It was far enough forward to cut off a 400 sqm block to the back. Front has good privacy due to a 4 foot brick fence and 6 foot hedge behind. All depends on each layout I guess.

I'm looking to buy a block of land in a new estate and can't decide whether to choose a corner block or a standard one.

Hey beachgurl

If you do a good job of choosing and positioning the house plan to maximise best use of the site, then it doesn't matter whether you have a standard block or a corner block

Each property is unique.

Good blocks can be ruined by bad planning and sub-standard blocks can be made very valuable with good planning

I built an exec investment property on a standard block with eg drive through double garage, extra wide tarmac in front of the garage, and spaced the house off the other boundary and my tenant (according to google and nearmap) generally has about six cars plus trailers and a boat parked at the property

Equally, I have corner blocks and the aspect from inside the houses looking out is more than worth the slight extra noise.

Until you stand inside a well designed corner house, it is hard to realise the extra light, views, and general amenity, but it has to be properly designed and not just a standard house stuck on a corner block

My child care centre was on a corner block, and the five years working in that business gave me a greater appreciation of what can make a corner block special.

So if you have imagination, and if the configuration of the backyards on the two adjoining boundaries are favourable, then I would have no hesitation in buying a corner block for owner occupation or for investment

Hope this helps
Kristine

Much easier to subdivide than standard residential blocks. Additional traffic might be an issue for the family home; but on the flipside they're fantastic for IP's or development.

Do yourself a favor and dont buy in H+L in any form, unless of course you don't care about capital gain and see yourself in the house for 20+ years.
As others have said, the benefit of a cnr block is the development potential. I have a great one in Highett that I intend to build something in the backyard and do a reno to the existing house.
Highett and a new estate however, are light years apart. One has infrastructure, the other has roads, cars, single mothers and poor quality builds.
Stay away.

For the buyers agents and prolific buyers out there, is there a general trend in prices differing tween a standard block vs corner block for comparable houses?

Hi Beachgurl

In my experience, it makes little difference, especially if there's limited choice on the market for particular suburbs. The property itself becomes far more important. Development advantages aside (which only applies to some properties) I've found no difference in price, preference or trend. I did a small dvpt (land subdivision) last year and the only corner block was one of the first to be sold (the buyers liked the fact they had one less neighbour and a N and E aspect for their house plan). For a PPOR I'd consider superior aspect as a dominant feature over whether or not it's a corner block. Probably the largest downside would be those who don't like mowing :D
Best of luck with your build :)

For houses, I see no big benefit if you wish to actually live in it....other than if you had a big boat or some reason to access some big shed without compromising the width of the house. More downsides than upsides I would have thought.

For the types of properties we buy, we luuuurve corner blocks. Two street access is better than one. Three street access is even better, and sometimes you come across a jackpot of an island site with full four street access. These are worth gold for access.

Anyway, you were asking about houses for living in, so I'd say pay no more than a normal one a few doors down.

Can't believe nobody picked up on the fact that you want to sell it in 1 or 2 years time!
In estates you pay more for the build and land than what it's market value will be when finished. So you chance of making a capital gain is pretty much zero

As for corner blocks I reckon they are great.
The people that don't like them probably live on main roads

It's good to have the feeling of not being surrounded by tall fences and if people look into your house when they walk past then who gives a dam.

They are also easy to subdivide if need be but being in an estate there is probably zero chance of that as the block will probably only be 400sqm

Pieman

I here what your saying about the types in estates but I reckon you've pumped Highetts tyres up a little far. Maybe in another 10 - 15 years it will be where you want it to be.

Back