Could we have a case to get out of deal

Go to your solicitor ASAP. We live and learn. Next time, never sign anything until you understand what you are signing and always use a service of an independent solicitor, independent lender, and independent inspectors. Agents are there for the vendor to make money for themselves, so never think for once that that care about you as a buyer. If you want an agent that works for you, use the service of a buyer agent.
Good luck

After dealing with a " one stop shop " (they sell you property and they can do your finance for you) to buy our first investment property, we now in bad situation.

Im just wondering if anyone has had the same experience and can give us advise or if we have a leg to stand on to claim our deposit back.

After attending a property information seminar, we met with the sales rep of the company. He signed us up on the night we met him for an off the plan property in melbourne.

Basically we paid a large deposit and now we cant settle.

1. We did not get a chance to read a copy of the contact before signing, the sales rep just told us that we can afford to buy this property
2. this company also arranges finance however they failed to put a subject to finance clause on the contact even though they know we needed finance
3. there is no settlement date on the contact
4. we in breech of the contact as settlement has come and gone 3 times already and this broker is still trying to get finance for us
5 also when siging up on the night nothing about the contract was discussed,we were just told where to sign

anyone know what we can do or we in total hot water here? seems like we've been taken for a ride

you may have a good case against the agent - are they licensed agents? it may cost you alot to sue them though.

so see a lawyer, see what happens. these things are never good

If you didn't like the deal, your best chance to pull out was probably in the first week after you signed the contracts.

It sounds to me, that now you have come to the point of settlement (3 times already), and long after you signed up, you are looking for an escape clause due to not being able to source finance or the val has come in low (or both). *edit* sorry - just re-read your post - that's exactly what happened.

I'd suggest you see a lawyer, if you haven't already, to look for loop holes as a way of escape. Otherwise you're going to lose that deposit and get sued by the developer for any shortfall on a resale to another sucker (....sorry, I mean "investor").

As already stated by Ausprop, these things never end up well.

Next time, once this is over, hire your own independent advisors for each of:
The property
The finance
The strategy
etc. - so you don't get stitched up.

....its not until now that i know how bad they really are!

Look, to be fair, if the property was worth more than you agreed to pay for it, now that construction has taken place, we would not even be having this conversation. You'd be singing their praises!

The fact is, that no-one, not you, not the developer, not the finance guy, not anyone, knew what the market would be like in Melbourne in 2012 come time to settle.

This is just too big a risk for many investors to take and so we all avoid OTP for those (and other) reasons. You were just inexperienced as your nickmae suggests. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just learn from it and take more care next time.

even though the evaluation came in low we can get finance but the agent is organsing vendor finance for the shortfall. around ($30k)

id rather get out of this deal. So its not about the property coming in under value.

after you have seen a lawyer and established your position have a rethink about all this. $30k vendoir finance may be a way better idea than losing your deposit and getting sued. these things are grenades and you never know which way it will fall until it does

can i just say thou that the agent knew we were new to investing and we had no idea on the questions to ask , should he not advised us to get legal advise about whats in the contract?? the upsell they do about OTP properties is what sucked us in as it seemed " all good ".

by the way, even though the evaluation came in low we can get finance but the agent is organsing vendor finance for the shortfall. around ($30k)

id rather get out of this deal. So its not about the property coming in under value.

im just hoping someone else out there has had the same experience and can provide me with a positive outcome.

with all due respect, and i do genuinely have empathy for your situation, you do not seem to be taking any rresponsibility whatsoever for your part in this.

in terms of what you can do in this particular situation no one can really say without knowing the terms of your contract and what assurances you were given etc but you have indicated you have appointed a lawyer.

it is important to look at this objectively and work out all the mistakes you have made to learn from them. continuing to blame the seller or his agent is not going to do you any good, from an ethical POV yes he should have advised you to seek independent advice but it doesnt change the fact you signed for a property worth hundreds of thousands of $$, knowing you were inexperienced, without reading the contract or doing any research whatsoever.

the fault lies with you and not the seller. not the end of the world, we have all made mistakes (i have made massive ones in the past) but unless youre completely honest with yourself and willing to accept where you have stuffed up you're doing yourself a major disservice imo.

anyway i dont mean to be too harsh, i hope you come out of it ok.

.... should he not advised us to get legal advise about whats in the contract??
"He" is being paid for by the vendor (developer). It is not his job to do your work for you. But there are certain responsibilities he must comply with to ensure he is acting within the law only.

the upsell they do about OTP properties is what sucked us in as it seemed " all good ".
You and a lot of others. You were just naive, that's all. Chalk it up to experience.

by the way, even though the evaluation came in low we can get finance but the agent is organsing vendor finance for the shortfall. around ($30k)
Well it seems like you're out of big trouble. That would be a relief.

id rather get out of this deal.
It is probably not going to happen. They would have probably got a tight contract done.....AND engaged lawyers to do it (unlike some others :))

So its not about the property coming in under value.
OK - then you don't have a major issue at all.

im just hoping someone else out there has had the same experience and can provide me with a positive outcome.
The best outcome you could expect in this deal is to have the funds to settle it. It seems these are being arranged for you. The better outcome, would have been to never entered it in the first place - but its too late for that now. At least you had a go. ;)

We all live and learn. Most of us have been stung by some scam or another at one point or another. As a prinicple, these days, I almost never buy something or do business with people I have never heard of or barely know. IF the deal is too good to be true, then most likely its false.

The unfortunate thing about mistakes, the ones we learn the most from also are the ones that cause angst and pain.

If this had have gone smoothly, no lesson would have been learnt.

so what will happen if i found out that the saleman/broker manipulated our information in order for us to get this loan???

recent experience seems to be the mortgage is cancelled and you keep the property (assumign you went ahead, however you are now aware of the situation so couldn't really go ahead and then make the accusation). The loan application is to an extent irrelevant tho as you made a cash offer to purchase.

What makes you think your loan application was manipulated?

Looks like the OP didn't like the answers and has disappeared.

Pity, there was lots of good, and experienced, advice being given.

Is it possible for a mod to restore the deleted comments. I agree that there was some genuinely good replies coming out of this thread which would be useful to anyone else in a similar situation.

we are in similar situation

We want to get out of this deal and get our deposit back!

the sales person told us that we did not need to see the conveyance r at the time of signing the contract and we did not need subject to finance clause according to the sales person caz it would expire by the settlement .
The property is in western suburb of Melbourne and it was our first home land purchase which was ruined by the sales people and the vendor . then close to settlement teh bank and other agents told us that we signed for overly priced land even when we signed the contract .the Vendor did not give us the option to negotiate the price and they did not give us the option to pay lesser than 10 % deposit. now they are telling us that even the valuation came shor tof 22 000 they will keep the deposit .

One imp thing they took 17 months and few days to get ready the land for settlements I came to know about sunset clause far later when I went to conve....
This is really bad when land sales office people dont tell buyers everything .

You always have the option to negotiate on price, as well as seek advice on the contract from a lawyer. You also always have the opportunity to do further due diligence in terms of comparables etc.

House and land are harder to find comparables on, and nobody has a crystal ball to say, come settlement time the market will have moved in this direction.

the sales person told us that we did not need to see the conveyance r at the time of signing the contract and we did not need subject to finance clause according to the sales person caz it would expire by the settlement .

And you trusted this salesperson, who is paid by the vendor.

the Vendor did not give us the option to negotiate the price and they did not give us the option to pay lesser than 10 % deposit.

You had the option of not signing and walking away.

now they are telling us that even the valuation came shor tof 22 000 they will keep the deposit .

What they're hoping is that you'll come up with the rest of the money somehow.

Dont go to a property investment seminar if you dont know how to say no?

i remember an old saying, something about a "free lunch", just cant quite remember how it goes?

This is really bad when land sales office people dont tell buyers everything .

They are not supposed to. This is your responsibility.

Its like when you go and buy a coke - the shop owner is not going to tell you it is bad for your health! Coca Cola ain't going to tel you either.

Back