Votes: 12 8.4%
  • 3 - 5million

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • > 5 million

Votes: 7 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hiya

In these very interesting times, i thought it would be a good idea to see how interest rate sensitive you are...it would seem logical that the bigger debt you have, the more sensitive you are...:p

So, how much are your debt levels : debt would include your own residence, your IPs (investment properties), your share margin loans, car loans etc etc etc
(and for simplicity, we would ignore LVRs!)

If I had $10m in debt but $200k cash buffer, I would be less rate sensitve than if I had $500k debt and $10 in the bank.
I don't believe there is a relationship between the size of the debt and the sensitivity to rates.
With risk mitigation strategies in place, the sensitivity shouldn't change too much as the debt grows, should it?

Sensitivity

If I had $10m in debt but $200k cash buffer, I would be less rate sensitve than if I had $500k debt and $10 in the bank.
I don't believe there is a relationship between the size of the debt and the sensitivity to rates.
With risk mitigation strategies in place, the sensitivity shouldn't change too much as the debt grows, should it?

Hiya

Not trying to compare the two; but either way, you would still be sensitive, no?

i would:p

Agreed.

We have $5M+ in loans and about a $100K buffer.

Debt levels

Geez...judging from the response so far, am i the only one who feels i should pump up my debt levels?

Those debts look huge:eek:

Geez...judging from the response so far, am i the only one who feels i should pump up my debt levels?

Those debts look huge:eek:

Just remember one thing about debt....It will work 99% of the time....1% of the time it won't work...you need to decide the 1% when it won't work will you be able to survive or be wiped out?

Cheers,
Oracle.

Last edited:
I think LVR has a higher correlation to interest rate sensitivity than debt level per se.

Bingo. :)

Portfolio LVR and stress testing one's own servicibility combined with some buffers enhances chances of survival and flying under the bank's radar in times where offsets are needed to service unexpected sudden rate rises.

The higher the LVR, the less time the buffer(s) will last and, the greater the chance of fire sales being needed to remedy the preserve as much of the portfolio as possible.

My borrowings are lean these days and in a falling interest rate environment edging on the deflationary, excessive debt isn't my friend. Horses for courses really depending on each persons age, life situation, portfolio status, etc.

Hiya

In these very interesting times, i thought it would be a good idea to see how interest rate sensitive you are...it would seem logical that the bigger debt you have, the more sensitive you are...:p

I'd say it'd make more sense to know LVR against liquidity ratio.

Back