Range hoods

Which is the best range hood in everyone's opinion? In terms of value and durability...

Westinghouse Fixed Rangehood WRJ600UW - $88 - seems to be the cheapest but will it do the job?

Also - is it easy to DIY install a range hood or are there accessories required as well?

Thanks,
James

Which is the best range hood in everyone's opinion? In terms of value and durability... Westinghouse Fixed Rangehood WRJ600UW - $88 - seems to be the cheapest but will it do the job?
Usually you get the range hood, cooktop & underbench oven as a "set" for under $1K. But if you're just doing a rangehood, then what you've found should be fine.

Many PIs I know, will toss the rangehood after a couple of years in between tenants rather than try to clean them - and at $88K a pop who can blame them? ;)

Also - is it easy to DIY install a range hood or are there accessories required as well?
It should be an easy DIY - just make sure you have a power point installed for it.

Last edited:
Grays online usually has some decent deals on rangehoods. We picked up a delonghi with a small dent in the side for a reasonable price last year.

Cheers

Jamie

yeah ok thanks for that.

Oven and stove is in good condition already so no need for that.

What is a poer point?

I just have the wall to stick it on so I am not exactly sure how to do it as yet...

yeah ok thanks for that.

Oven and stove is in good condition already so no need for that.

What is a poer point?

I just have the wall to stick it on so I am not exactly sure how to do it as yet...

I think Prop missed the 'w' in Power. You'll need a power point on the wall to plug the rangehood into otherwise you'll need an electrician to install the power.

As an after thought... are you after white or stainless steel? I have a brand new white one left over from a reno that we didn't end up using.

There is a power point.

Here's a pic - how will I screw it into the wall?

Attachments

• Kitchen.JPG
    Kitchen.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 126
It's going to look a bit like a shag on a rock with no cupboards above the bench there.

I'd almost be inclinded to do an exhaust fan in the ceiling above ($15 job), with a bit of ducting attached so it vents outside of the ceiling space - if there is any ceiling cavity (which there may not be looking at the roof line).

The power point should be located near where the range hood will be mounted.
There will be stud work behind the wood panels, so that's what you would want to be screwing the range hood to. Unless you want to get overhead cupboards, in which case, your next question will be "What do I screw my overhead cupboards into?".

I'd almost be inclinded to do an exhaust fan in the ceiling above ($15 job), with a bit of ducting attached so it vents outside of the ceiling space - if there is any ceiling cavity (which there may not be looking at the roof line).

That's a good option. I'd inclined to do the same. Still need a sparky to install a power point for the fan, though.

Yes haha that was the 2nd next question.

The next one was going to be where to get the cupboards cheap?

Thanks for all the help btw

I wasn't aware the flat packs could only be bought in parts (i.e. only cupboards.)

Will look into it and do similar I think.

If you had the fan would you still need the range hood?

Back