Financial independence from property - always a minority pursuit

A previous thread indicated that to be financially independent from rents you needed the equivalent of owning outright about 5 properties.

4 x rents to pay living expenses and 1 x rent for holding costs.

This would give a comfortable but not lavish income if the properties were about average.

I was thinking about the proportion of people who would be able to do this.

Of 100% of dwellings maybe 65% are owner occupied and 10% institutional or housing commission. That leaves 25% for private rental, which is where your five properties per investor must come from.

Or if you prefer crude numbers, say there's 8 million dwelling units in Australia, that's about 2 million private rental dwellings (I can't be bothered going to the ABS but these figures should not be too far out).

Assuming every IP investor had 5 properties then that reduces the number of different owners of IPs to 400 000. Ie 2% of the population or around 5% of households.

In practice the distribution of who owns what is nowhere near this. The majority of IP investors have 1 property, and most of the rest have only one more. So by the time we get to the number required for financial independence it's tailed off.

I believe this relationship is immutable due to relatively fixed demand for housing (based on population and household formation). Houses are only useful for investments if they produce rental income so there's more would-be investors than houses and tenants. Which, combined with available finance, may explain why yields are low and don't cover costs for new purchasers that borrow most.

Now there's other styles of property investing where people might only a few places at a time but still become financially independent. Eg buy, renovate and sell, investing profits elsewhere. Or once they've amassed their nest egg with houses they might sell up and put it into fixed interest or shares. So some will have become financially independent through property but may not currently have IPs. Another group will have a mixture of a couple of IPs, a business and super or shares so houses will contribute but not on their own replace their job income.

At the individual level people can do well out of property. If one does it, another person might be able to as well. But due to the housing numbers involved, one or two people can do stuff that doesn't work for the majority. For this reason it is mathematically impossible for more than a minority to become financially indepdendent solely through residential property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definately, which is why my thoughts are heading towards commercial for my next step. I have a low LVR and low cashflow. I'm thinking of doing some reno's or sub-division and selling for increased cashflow on resi also.

A point I've tried to make a number of times. Too much competition, too low yield.

There is a lot of competition for good shares too which is why they are also low yielding. To get better returns from investment generally you need special skills which is why Nathan does well - He is good at what he does.

I don't like owning property which is why I study "the markets" and try to get an edge, but there are millions of others out there studying the SAME markets. It ain't easy.

17,500 investors in australia own more then 6 properties.

Out of which would be high rollers also.

This leaves a select few with 6+ properties.

To have them unencumbered, this is the next hurdle...

It is very achievable to have a portfolio of 5 unencumbered properties.

Purchase 12, they double, sell off half and have the other half owned outright. Buffer of 2 extra to pay taxes etc.

Just like business, not all are a successful but if the foundations are solid one can create a good lifestyle for family. Some will go to crazy heights, some are well off and some are doomed from the start. Apply the same foundations from business to property and the results will reflect.

Just my 2 cents :)

Definately, which is why my thoughts are heading towards commercial for my next step. I have a low LVR and low cashflow. I'm thinking of doing some reno's or sub-division and selling for increased cashflow on resi also.

Hey, INVSTOR, don't think that owning commercial property is the silver bullet

Our bank has now been empty since January. First time ever in 14 years of ownership, never experienced this before, but we are certainly experiencing this now.

If the bank was a house it would have been rented long ago, but taking on a retail premises means starting up a retail business, and that is just not happening

Tried and true, slow and steady, is the way to financial independence. Four Green Houses equals One Red Hotel. We are glad to have the bank and have no intention of selling it, and have just restructured the finances to lessen the pain of the holding costs, but we are still paying >9% plus all outgoings while we wait for the next cashed up potential tenant - start up costs, outfitting costs, stock, living expenses for six months etc - paying the rent is the least of the expenses for a new business, but if the punters cannot see that they can start up, develop and continue to grow a profitable business than all the enquiry and inspections will not lead to a lease.

The grass is not always greener in the other paddock. Unless you have a high threshold of emotional and financial tolerance stick with residential investment if you want to be able to sleep at night.

Cheers
Kristine

Our bank has now been empty since January. First time ever in 14 years of ownership, never experienced this before, but we are certainly experiencing this now.

If the bank was a house it would have been rented long ago, but taking on a retail premises means starting up a retail business, and that is just not happening

Tried and true, slow and steady, is the way to financial independence. Four Green Houses equals One Red Hotel. We are glad to have the bank and have no intention of selling it, and have just restructured the finances to lessen the pain of the holding costs, but we are still paying >9% plus all outgoings while we wait for the next cashed up potential tenant - start up costs, outfitting costs, stock, living expenses for six months etc - paying the rent is the least of the expenses for a new business, but if the punters cannot see that they can start up, develop and continue to grow a profitable business than all the enquiry and inspections will not lead to a lease.

The grass is not always greener in the other paddock. Unless you have a high threshold of emotional and financial tolerance stick with residential investment if you want to be able to sleep at night.

Cheers
Kristine

I disagree. Even if it takes you another year to lease it out - over the last 15 years it would still look much better from a stress and cashflow perspective than resi (and that would be doubly true going forwards the next 15 years given where resi yields are at today for anything but the scrappy end of town).

The only caveat is that you need more "buffers" in the CIP game.

Just a thought, Kristine.....and you may have already had the same one, so apologies if you've already been down this path.

Banks quite commonly have big fire proof safes. Consider who needs such:
Solicitors - wills etc
IT companies - data back ups
neither of these are 'retail' pe se, although a Jeweller may?

If you haven't already, perhaps try marketing to this type of tenant?

Just a thought, Kristine.....and you may have already had the same one, so apologies if you've already been down this path.

Banks quite commonly have big fire proof safes. Consider who needs such:
Solicitors - wills etc
IT companies - data back ups
neither of these are 'retail' pe se, although a Jeweller may?

If you haven't already, perhaps try marketing to this type of tenant?

Good thinking!! I wonder who owns the safe and associated hardware though - landlord or bank fitout? Imagine banks would want it to their spec and in line with their security policies and protocols? Could be wrong, Im guessing.

it is mathematically impossible for more than a minority to become financially indepdendent solely through residential property.

Agreed....but then that can be said about just about everything.

Not everyone can have a passive 10m share portfolio and sit back in coffee shops all day long and collect the dividends / go on overseas cruises all year.

The vast majority of the beehive have to trudge off to work every day and actually work.

Why does everyone always want their financially technique to be universally applied so that everyone can do it ??

You've just proved Spiderman that in Australia, despite what is popular to say, and despite what parents all tell their kids....we are not all equal, and it isn't always fair.

You've just proved Spiderman that in Australia, despite what is popular to say, and despite what parents all tell their kids....we are not all equal, and it isn't always fair.

ahhh run and hide..... the truth......

...Banks quite commonly have big fire proof safes. ...

Hi Propertunity

Alak and alas!

Challenge Bank took the Chubb with them when we bought the premises!

This vacancy is about the overall economic conditions.

It takes true grit to start up a new business - that, and plenty of working capital.

Very few people do this and as someone who has had three shopfront businesses (four) if you are relying on earning a living from a business it rarely happens in the first few years. So right now, in main streets all over Australia, there are prime retail shopfronts going begging.

Ours is just one of them.

And with regards to Spiderman's theme and to Dazz comments: Yes, of course, statistically very few people become financially independent yet everyone has the same opportunities (yes! yes! all the usual politically correct disclaimers apply!!).

If we all worked for 45 years and all earned the same amount of PAYG dollars, some people would be rich at 25 years old and some people would have bankrupted 3 times by their 50th birthday.

Fewer than 5 people in 100 will be truly financially independent to the point of being 'wealthy' but we can but try

However I ascribe to the principal of 1 house to live in and 5 properties to rent out. It's simple, and effective, and I really do believe that anyone who wants to do it can achieve this over their working life

Commercial property is no more a sure fire winner than residential property. It is still all in the deal and there will be times when buying, or keeping, the property does not seem like a sensible thing to do.

But you don't need $10 million of property. Your home plus $1million in equity / paid off property / share / superannuation yielding 5% income would do it.

Financial independence is a lot more mundane than the seminars would have you believe

Cheers
Kristine

If we all worked for 45 years and all earned the same amount of PAYG dollars, some people would be rich at 25 years old and some people would have bankrupted 3 times by their 50th birthday.

PAYG workers don't go broke unless they are really stupid.

As for businessmen, well they say that a rich person is only rich one more time than he is bankrupt.

to further this, some people think that one property development will see them as a mega star draped in bling.

i think its obvious to most this isnt the case.

i think many people try properrty investing (wasting?) because they think its sexy or has some kind of prestige attached to it.

sorry, it just doesnt. its stress, hard work, no glory, taxes, fighting, alienation from most of your friends......and at the end of it some people still end up owing money.

its just not in some peoples make up to see and understand value when its presented, ans less so to be able to act and capitalise upon it.

its the quiet ones you have to watch. those that dont advertise what they do in any kind of great detail. theyre the folk you need to ask whats what.

One of the issues here is that property investing is usually a 'business on the side', rather than being what people do all day. Sure, there are some people who manage this, but for many of us it's not our main occupation.

I think it's correct to suggest that only a minority will ever be able to make this work for them, and there are a number of reasons for that.

Cheers
Kristine

Good points. When i was growing up my mums family had about 5 commercial properties which provided my mums income so I know all about vacancies and no income coming in. I really haven't found any solution yet that really appears ideal and the numbers stack up. I have a few plans to make my current investments more appealing/less effort, so I guess that's a good start.

17,500 investors in australia own more then 6 properties.

Out of which would be high rollers also.

This leaves a select few with 6+ properties.

To have them unencumbered, this is the next hurdle...

It is very achievable to have a portfolio of 5 unencumbered properties.

Purchase 12, they double, sell off half and have the other half owned outright. Buffer of 2 extra to pay taxes etc.

Just like business, not all are a successful but if the foundations are solid one can create a good lifestyle for family. Some will go to crazy heights, some are well off and some are doomed from the start. Apply the same foundations from business to property and the results will reflect.

Just my 2 cents :)

Nathan where is the 17500 stat from?
That is not many from our total population.
I wonder how many with 6+ on this forum?
I would hazard a guess with slippage over time a few hundred?

If thats the case the of those with 6+ between 0.5% and 1% of them are on this forum?

I rekon there is room for a few more yet.

Haha, it's not so much IQ intelligence, more like 'lack of financial education stupid'. Unfortunately it does happen when people start getting credit cards they cant afford.

And I thought you were a comrade! ;)

Tell you what maybe everyone in secondary school should read Animal Farm.

It start with all animals are equal......and it ends with some are more equal than others!

I

Back