Horsham - Whats going on there now?

I have been monitoring the horsham market for the last few months and have noticed there seems to be more and more stock added to the market (but not selling quickly) around the $100K-$150K bracket. With strong rental returns and low vacancy rate anyone know why so many people seem to be trying to sell there horsham properties?

G'Day Normie

I've just looked at realestate.com.au and there doesn't appear to be any particular influx of properties for sale - fewer than 50 houses / units in the $100,000 - $150,000 bracket

Since 2003 I have never not had a Horsham deal open on my desk and in my experience all recent deals are tracking as per usual

When you say you have been 'monitoring' does that mean you actually own property in Horsham, live in Horsham, live in surrounding area, or just looking at internet listings from your desk?

Listings and advertisements do not give an accurate indication of a market. Horsham is alive and well and it is business as usual!

Cheers
Kristine

Business as usual in Horsham, (my observations). My blocks of land I had for approx. 18 months doubled and trebled, my newer build is up in value (had several offers to buy off me already), 35%, the older already builts all going up in their values (comparable sales), with offers coming in to purchase them also... the place is great shopping, new aquatic centre, good library, schools, sports, I haven't heard anything contrary to the place ticking over steadily. I have investor friends in Horsham that are continuing to purchase, mixture of resi, commercial/industrial and businesses..

It's also a farming area, the season has been good, all going well, (keep in mind harvest not here/over yet), the primary producers should have a nice season.

I was there yesterday having a look at the new freight hub being built, next trip will take pictures...it's interesting. (Wont be for a while tho', am going away.....mmmmmmwwwaaaa Stef!).

NEW $9.7M FREIGHT HUB A BOOST FOR WIMMERA GRAINS

A new $9.7 million freight hub will be built at Dooen with the help of a $2.2 million grant announced today by the Minister for State and Regional Development, John Brumby.

The proposed Wimmera Regional Intermodal Freight Hub at Dooen, 11km north-east of Horsham on the Adelaide-Melbourne railway line, will replace an ageing terminal at Horsham station.

During a visit to Dooen, Mr Brumby said the grant to Horsham Rural City Council was through the Bracks Government’s Regional Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF).

He said the Wimmera region was one of Victoria’s key agriculture regions, with extensive dryland cropping, livestock farming and wool production industries.

“This project is the first to be announced as part of the Bracks Government’s $20 million Intermodal Freight Infrastructure Program to promote intermodal freight hubs in provincial Victoria,” Mr Brumby said.

“A competitive transport and distribution industry is vital to ensuring the growth of regional industries and today’s announcement is a strong vote of confidence in the region’s future despite current drought conditions having a significant impact on farmers and the wider community.”

...and it will do this:

“The new 23.5 ha freight hub will provide a central location for grain storage facilities and grain export processors, improve access to freight depots, grain silos and processing plants, and build on the region’s nationally significant and export focussed grains industry,” he said.

“Complimentary activities and businesses, including container park facilities, large volume container packing, bulk loading and warehousing facilities could also be established near the hub creating further jobs for the region.

“The hub will be built on a large greenfields site, and will trigger further development of the grains industry by grain-related businesses.”

Mr Brumby said the new facility at Dooen would be able to handle 18,600 containers within five to six years – more than twice the number of containers handled at the existing Horsham facility.

“Based on current volumes, the new freight hub is expected to generate savings for existing customers of up to $52.80 per container,” he said.

“The new hub will also result in reduced handling costs for the terminal operator and for grain producers, relieve demand for storage at the Port of Melbourne with more empty containers returned from Melbourne to be stored on the new site and cutting 11 kilomteres from the rail trip to Melbourne.”

The new freight hub at the site will comprise two 450 metre sidings - four metres apart - on the same side of 450 x 20 metres of reinforced road with the project also including upgrades to roads around the terminal.

Mr Brumby said the RIDF had been very successful in leveraging funds to deliver much-needed infrastructure projects across Victoria, with the provision of freight hubs a major priority.

From here:

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/d...44d0a586e9ff73d9ca257214000f1c47!OpenDocument

G'Day Normie

When you say you have been 'monitoring' does that mean you actually own property in Horsham, live in Horsham, live in surrounding area, or just looking at internet listings from your desk?

Listings and advertisements do not give an accurate indication of a market. Horsham is alive and well and it is business as usual!

Cheers
Kristine

I dont have a property or live in Horsham, but have been tracking advertisements and driving around the area, it may be just coincidence but just appears to be more bargains there than 6months ago. It just may be people are being more realistic in the asking prices.

..also just on Horsham, this slipped under my radar.

Excerpt only:

Horsham retail development offers million-dollar economy boost

BY CASSANDRA DALGLEISH
07 Oct, 2011

A $12-MILLION retail development in Wilson Street, Horsham, could boost the region's economy by more than $22 million.

It could also draw a further $15.5 million to the region each year following completion.

The figures are part of a Wimmera Development Association regional economic model, which calculates the flow-on benefits of developments in the region.

Association project manager Colin Kemp said the model calculated the $22 million based on the association's estimate that about 70 jobs would be created during the construction stage.

Gateway Property Developments, which announced its plans for the development last week, said the centre would create more than 270 jobs during construction.

Mr Kemp said the two groups used different methods to find their figures.

He said 92 jobs would be created after completion of the centre, with flow-on effects creating up to 120 jobs for the region.

The jobs would boost the region's economy by about $15.5 million a year.

Association executive director Jo Bourke said the figures painted a bright picture for the Wimmera.

"It's a large proposal that will generate a lot of activity during development,'' she said.

"When there are developments of this scale there are always a lot of flow-on effects.

"More employment means more people to spend money in the region.''

Mrs Bourke said she expected more businesses to invest in the Wimmera.

"Horsham, as the regional centre for the Wimmera, is set to grow,'' she said.

Business Horsham's Robin Barber said the Wimmera would benefit strongly from the flow-on effects of the development.

Just trying to figure out if that is the land that was up for sale near the plaza and the Safeway store..behind it the skate park and further back the racing complex..

Taken from Wimmera Mail Times paper:

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/news/lo...fers-milliondollar-economy-boost/2316423.aspx

I'll get some more info and pictures when I get back..(now we have a Horsham thread!).

Love the Wimmera.

Update:

Horsham Golf Club has unveiled plans for their new 4.5 million clubhouse. Construction begins January 31st, hopefully completed by end of 2012. It will includes a 280 function room, alfesco area, kitchen, members lounge, offices, toilets, pro-shop and bistro, all on first floor, cool room and storage on ground floor area.

There original clubhouse was destroyed in Black Saturday fires, along with 15,000 trees. At least 8000 trees and shrubs have been replanted since the fire in 2009, with more going in in March.

Horsham Golf Club incidently ranks in the top 10 public access courses in Victoria...(at number 9). The majority of courses ranked ahead are coastal, so it's more than likely either of the top two inland courses.

Number one ranked Vic course is 'The Dunes' at Rye.

Horsham having an amazing year, extensions to the Plaza block, new town hall, the Dooen freight hub, and revamped Firebrace street.

Yes, there are some nice returns in Horsham, the Jung place may possibly not be LMI postcode/covered though, is a few k's out of Horsham.

Stage Two Works of Horsham Enterprise Estate going ahead, (industrial estate development).

Horsham Rural City Council estimates the stage two project will create more than 100 direct jobs, deliver up to $35 million and 97 indirect jobs..

Yes, there are some nice returns in Horsham, the Jung place may possibly not be LMI postcode/covered though, is a few k's out of Horsham.

Stage Two Works of Horsham Enterprise Estate going ahead, (industrial estate development).

Horsham Rural City Council estimates the stage two project will create more than 100 direct jobs, deliver up to $35 million and 97 indirect jobs..

wow, 2 of those 4 properties have sold since posting, especially a few days before xmas

maybe it is a bit of booming market

I am kind of reluctant to use the term of 'booming'-maybe 'steady as she goes', the drought did give the place a kick in the guts, 10-12 year kinda droughts can do that, but the long term, the Bendigo's the Ballarats, the Horshams, the 'catchment' or 'sponge' regional cities (as Bernard Salt likes to call them) tend to thrive. Not like (what I hear) people say about their city/metro markets, and nothing like the 'near the ocean' places, the more volatile, greater growth, but solid, steady consistency. Meeting the needs of people/families who choose mostly to live in regional areas, yet still have access to relatively good educational, health, entertainment, work, lifestyle etc opportunities.

i have found it, (regional cities) to be useful for acquiring, ongoing building an initial wealth base.

Slightly off topic, butI think than MEDIAN prices in many regional cities are skewed/not really indicative of what's happening, depending on the numbers of these ex houso type houses selling in a given period, driving down the median. I think in many regionals, it is hard to find a "half decent" house for the median price for this reason.

I think that is an important distinction/observations Units, my passion and strength of research, on the ground observations and soaking it all up backs you up on this.

'The Deal'

...and 'Buy Well' has paid off for me.

Update regional city Horsham:

Wimmera Rental Market Booming..

Excerpt only:

THE Wimmera's rental market is enjoying a boom period.
PRD Nationwide Wes Davidson Real Estate principal and managing director Wes Davidson said the rental market in the past six months was as strong as he had ever seen.
"It is the lowest vacancy rate we have seen and some months the rate has been zero, which means there have been no properties available," he said.
"There is more and more pressure being put on the rental market because more people are wanting or choosing to rent.

"Statistics show about 28 per cent of the Australian population rents but at the moment I would think that figure is a bit higher," he said.
Mr Davidson said the group would release a full market report for 2011 next month.

Coller Rathgeber Property Group director Tim Coller said the market was extremely tight.

"There are no immediate trends but we have noticed properties are being released at figures higher than they were previously tenanted for," he said.

"All in all it is very positive for both rentals and sales."

Also, REIV statistics show a median change from $199,500 (Dec 2010), to $249,000, (Dec 2011). Equivalent to an annual increase of 24.8%.

Ararat had no change.

The Horsham longer term growth average is around the 8%, Ararat's 10.8%.

nbn

nbn for horsham

by ted o'connor

29 mar, 2012 12:34 pm

horsham and haven will be hooked up to the national broadband network within the next three years.

Prime minister julia gillard announced this morning that 700,000 premises across victoria would have access to the high speed internet network within the next three years.

Work will start in horsham and haven in december, 2013, and the nbn co have indicated services would become available within 12 months.

No other places in the wimmera have been included in the three-year plan.

Bendigo, shepparton and albury will also gain access to the nbn within the next three years, but warrnambool, hamilton, mildura and swan hill will not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just having a sticky beak at Horsham as well and am interested to hear your thoughts on this:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-horsham-109070811

Returning about 7% but appears to have been on the market for a while so could be a bit overpriced?

Looks interesting, they look a little jaded, maybe room to move with the negotiating? Also near the railway line perhaps, hard to tell just how close, but also seems near the college campus. Interesting, and sometimes units can sit on the market for a while, sometimes because they maybe perceived overpriced, (works out at $107,500 a unit), but also financing, regional area...only guessing here..

A bit further on the NBN for some of the Wimmera:

Horsham and Haven for NBN

Excerpt Only, Wimmera Mail Times:

Horsham and Haven to get high-speed internet

BY TED O'CONNOR

30 Mar, 2012

HORSHAM and Haven will have access to high-speed internet within the next three years.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard announced yesterday that 700,000 premises across Victoria would be hooked up to the National Broadband Network within three years.

Works will start in Horsham and Haven in December 2013, with high-speed internet to be up and running in about a year.

Bendigo, Shepparton and Albury will also gain access to the NBN within the next three years, but Warrnambool, Hamilton, Mildura and Swan Hill are among centres to miss out.

Wimmera Development Association chief executive Jo Bourke said the fibre roll-out was great news for schools, health services and businesses in Horsham.

"Video conferencing opportunities for virtual classes at schools and medical diagnosis will provide huge benefits," she said. "People need to start becoming internet savvy so they can use this technology to its full potential.

"Elderly people particularly need to know their way around the internet, because this network has the potential to save them from having to go to Ballarat and Melbourne for medical appointments."

But the fibre network roll-out plan received mixed reactions across the Wimmera, because Nhill, Dimboola, Warracknabeal, St Arnaud, Donald, Stawell and Ararat and surrounding areas missed out.

They will have to wait until after 2015 for the technology to be delivered.

HORSHAM will be home to a multi-million-dollar national grains collection centre next year.

The Australian Grains Genebank - to be built at the Horsham Department of Primary Industries site - will house seed samples from Australia and around the world.

The State Government, through the DPI, will invest up to $2.85 million to build glasshouses and other facilities and the Grains Research and Development Corporation will match the funding.

The collection will bring together grain legume, oil seed and tropical and temperate climate cereal collections from other centres across the country.

The centre is due for completion within 12 months.

GRDC chairman Keith Perrett said it was imperative Australia's genetic resources were maintained.

"This is huge for the grains industry, to get all genetic resources in the same place," he said.

"This funding allows us to create a world-class facility that will maintain, protect and conserve our resources for a long time....

Excerpt only from:

National grains genebank to be built in Horsham

Hi all. Have started to look at Horsham as a place to diverisfy my port folio with some cash positive properties.

I was wondering if those with experience of the town can give me a quick run down of the different areas in Horsham and where I should be looking if my main goal is a low stress/maintenance place that is cash neutral/positive (obviously any CG is also welcome).

I've noticed a lot of places in Horsham West being adverstised at cheap prices (circa 100k) with decent yields of 8-10%. As such I was wondering what's the catch? The area seems to be reasonably close to the CBD and schools. Are there hoons roaming Horsham West 24/7 or some other factors I should know about?

Back