1000 registered users

Sim

Administrator
Well done everyone - we now have over 1000 registered users on the new forum, with many many more who just browse as guests. Given the traffic increases we have seen over the last couple of months, it seems this forum is becoming increasingly popular.

Sim,

At the peak of the tech shares boom of the nineties the Hotcopper forum had similar membership base and was one of the two most popular forums amongst equity traders. It was sold for a few hundred thousand dollars to an online investment company. Can't recall the details. Is Somersoft's forum going down a similar path? What is the forum's ownership structure?

Cheers,

Lotana

Originally posted by Lotana
Is Somersoft's forum going down a similar path? What is the forum's ownership structure?

I cannot speak for the Somers and their long term plans - nor can I foresee the future.

I can however, express my own interpretation of Ian and Jan's sentiments as I understand them. Of course, my interpretation may be faulty - in which case I am prepared to be corrected.

According to Ian (http://www.somersoft.com.au/forum.htm)
"[This forum is] ... a natural extension of what Jan and I have been trying to achieve through our books and software tools"

Ian and Jan are independently wealthy from their property investment and other ventures and choose to run this freely available site as a tool for educating people about the possibilities of achieving wealth for themselves.

They have (I believe) refused several offers to purchase the forum by third parties (I am not personally aware of the details or the parties involved), because they want to continue the good work without compromising their own standards.

As such, they have been willing to bear the cost of hosting the forum out of their own pockets - and have not and will not look for external sponsorship or advertising to pay for it. This allows them to be truely independent and to not be swayed by commercial interests.

Jan and Ian own the forum (I'm not sure of the exact legal structure - but for all intents and purposes they own it). I myself have no equity in the forum other than personal effort - which is its own reward. None of the moderators or administrators get paid for their efforts - it is all done on a voluntary basis.

As I've said, my understanding is that the forum is not, nor is it intended to ever be, for sale. They don't need the money !

Ahh, the power of building wealth through investment property !

Hiya Lotana

I doubt that this great asset would be sold off. Its true value is in its non commercial nature and dont we love it that way !

Ta

rolf

Back