Go Back   Somersoft Property Investment Forums > Community > Coffee Lounge

View Poll Results: Which is correct?
Site unseen 10 15.87%
Sight unseen 39 61.90%
Mate, get over it, there are more important things to worry about 14 22.22%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Carpe domus

wobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant future
"Site unseen" or "sight unseen" - which is it?

OK, so I'm a whinger and a pedant (great combination!!)

But I've noticed that both "site unseen" and "sight unseen" are used to describe buying something (particularly property, obviously) without viewing it.

My preference is "site unseen" - as in, "I haven't seen the site".

But I can also understand "sight unseen", particularly for a non-property purchase, like a vehicle. As in, "I haven't had a sight of [thing]".

So which is it?
Rob - When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you, but because, in that brief moment when the coin is in the air, you suddenly know what you are hoping for. Home Remedies
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Addicted to SS

tess85 is a glorious beacon of lighttess85 is a glorious beacon of lighttess85 is a glorious beacon of lighttess85 is a glorious beacon of lighttess85 is a glorious beacon of light
I voted for sight unseen. seems to be the more accepted version, just like "vice versa" vs "vica versa" (this drives me nuts!)

And lately too many RE ads have been saying "3 bedda", "4 bedda". Aargh!

*breathes in and out slowly*
Old 02-09-2010, 12:08 PM
No Limits

Ace in the Hole is a splendid one to beholdAce in the Hole is a splendid one to beholdAce in the Hole is a splendid one to beholdAce in the Hole is a splendid one to beholdAce in the Hole is a splendid one to beholdAce in the Hole is a splendid one to beholdAce in the Hole is a splendid one to behold
There is no option for "site sight unseen"...
Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Carpe domus

wobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant futurewobbycarly has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace In The Hole View Post
there Is No Option For "site Sight Unseen"...

Rob - When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you, but because, in that brief moment when the coin is in the air, you suddenly know what you are hoping for. Home Remedies
Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Live Every Day

Player has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond repute
It depends if it is highly "sort" after?
“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, always ineffectiveness, the chance to draw back. The moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it now. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.”
Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Space Goat.

Aaron Sice has a reputation beyond reputeAaron Sice has a reputation beyond reputeAaron Sice has a reputation beyond reputeAaron Sice has a reputation beyond reputeAaron Sice has a reputation beyond reputeAaron Sice has a reputation beyond reputeAaron Sice has a reputation beyond reputeAaron Sice has a reputation beyond reputeAaron Sice has a reputation beyond reputeAaron Sice has a reputation beyond reputeAaron Sice has a reputation beyond repute
if it's a building "site", and yu haven't seen it, then it's "site unseen".

but generally buying something, and you haven't "seen" it before you buy, then it's obviously "sight" unseen - which is really an oxymoron or whatever.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:39 PM

Rockstar has much to be proud ofRockstar has much to be proud ofRockstar has much to be proud ofRockstar has much to be proud ofRockstar has much to be proud ofRockstar has much to be proud ofRockstar has much to be proud ofRockstar has much to be proud of
I took the 3rd option which means I don't know.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:45 PM

Tuppence will become famous soon enoughTuppence will become famous soon enough
It has nothing to do with property, as such. It's about whether you've inspected something. So, you can buy a car ''sight unseen'', a dog ''sight unseen'' or a block of land ''sight unseen''. It simply means you didn't go and inspect whatever it is.
[pedant retreating now]
Old 02-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Capitalist

skater has a reputation beyond reputeskater has a reputation beyond reputeskater has a reputation beyond reputeskater has a reputation beyond reputeskater has a reputation beyond reputeskater has a reputation beyond reputeskater has a reputation beyond reputeskater has a reputation beyond reputeskater has a reputation beyond reputeskater has a reputation beyond reputeskater has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuppence View Post
It has nothing to do with property, as such. It's about whether you've inspected something. So, you can buy a car ''sight unseen'', a dog ''sight unseen'' or a block of land ''sight unseen''. It simply means you didn't go and inspect whatever it is.
[pedant retreating now]
I agree with this version, however if it is a "site" as in a building site, then it could be a "sight unseen site." Or as Ace in the Hole said you could say "I'm buying a site, sight unseen"." For clarity you would need to use the comma.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Lil Skater has much to be proud ofLil Skater has much to be proud ofLil Skater has much to be proud ofLil Skater has much to be proud ofLil Skater has much to be proud ofLil Skater has much to be proud ofLil Skater has much to be proud ofLil Skater has much to be proud ofLil Skater has much to be proud ofLil Skater has much to be proud of
It's site. I you're looking at purchasing a property and you haven't viewed the site, then it is "site unseen"
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 PM

mary&mat is a name known to allmary&mat is a name known to allmary&mat is a name known to allmary&mat is a name known to allmary&mat is a name known to allmary&mat is a name known to all
Isn't "sight unseen" a bit of an oxymoron?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Carpe domus

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary&mat View Post
Isn't "sight unseen" a bit of an oxymoron?

Exactly!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:21 PM

Perp has a reputation beyond reputePerp has a reputation beyond reputePerp has a reputation beyond reputePerp has a reputation beyond reputePerp has a reputation beyond reputePerp has a reputation beyond reputePerp has a reputation beyond reputePerp has a reputation beyond reputePerp has a reputation beyond reputePerp has a reputation beyond reputePerp has a reputation beyond repute
Google it, mate... it's definitely "sight unseen".
Old 02-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Carpe domus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perp View Post
Hmmm, as the majority are suggesting.

Anyway, a bit of fun.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:36 PM

rugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud of
Either is right...or wrong...depending on how you want to look at it. However, i think this is the least of the gramatical errors that REA's and Marketers need to look at. You would swear that many of them never had a high school education.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Live Every Day

Player has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond repute
I'm with "sight unseen"

It implies that one has not sighted the asset, which may be a site, house, shed, horse or whatever.

To do so would require one to utilise their eye-site
“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, always ineffectiveness, the chance to draw back. The moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it now. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.”
Old 02-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Addicted to SS

tess85 is a glorious beacon of lighttess85 is a glorious beacon of lighttess85 is a glorious beacon of lighttess85 is a glorious beacon of lighttess85 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perp View Post
Even more fun is googlefighting it
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...ight+unseen%22
Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 PM

rugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud ofrugrat has much to be proud of
I don't trust google, it keeps on telling me I have cancer
Old 02-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Richard Werner fan

WinstonWolfe has a reputation beyond reputeWinstonWolfe has a reputation beyond reputeWinstonWolfe has a reputation beyond reputeWinstonWolfe has a reputation beyond reputeWinstonWolfe has a reputation beyond reputeWinstonWolfe has a reputation beyond reputeWinstonWolfe has a reputation beyond reputeWinstonWolfe has a reputation beyond reputeWinstonWolfe has a reputation beyond reputeWinstonWolfe has a reputation beyond reputeWinstonWolfe has a reputation beyond repute
The confusion comes when you wrongly think of sight as a (transitive) verb, such as:
- After 40 days at sea, we sighted land.
- We caught sight of the burglar.

Site is also a noun which is the context in "sight unseen"
Other uses as a noun:
- Let's go sight seeing around Sydney. (later conjoined to sightseeing)
- Let's go see the sights of Sydney.

Unseen is the adjective.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Trust me, Im a top bloke!

boods99 is a glorious beacon of lightboods99 is a glorious beacon of lightboods99 is a glorious beacon of lightboods99 is a glorious beacon of lightboods99 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrat View Post
Either is right...or wrong...depending on how you want to look at it. However, i think this is the least of the gramatical errors that REA's and Marketers need to look at. You would swear that many of them never had a high school education.
Care to have a quick read of your sig??

Boods