Property Manager St Kilda / Elwood

I have posted this thread title so that it can be found in future by anyone searching for a PM in the Elwood / St Kilda area. Apparently they also operate from Port Douglas (guess they have a holiday house there).

If you are a landlord or tenant PLEASE beware of Friedlaenders - aka fre.com.au. They have been so INCREDIBLY bad to deal with and after changing to another agency I am now not just being lied to but abused!! :eek:

What the?? I am happy to receive PMs any time if anyone on SS requires details.

Lol i hear nothing about bad things re this company... there are even facebook groups set up to complain about them... a few friends of mine have also leased through this company.... how these fools are still in business i have no idea.. they give the rest of us a bad name!

I have just taken over the management of two properties that were managed by this company and cannot believe this company is still in business.

They are not co-operative or nice to deal with when you are taking business away from them that is for sure.

^Regarding the issues on that blog, the tenant did not know that the landlord was not complicit in the whole thing. This is what turns decent tenants into landlord haters! PMs are representing us. As it turned out apparently, the tenants independently found the landlord & told them what was going on & that money was owed to them. :eek:

How does this agency get landlords in the first place? They have no sales dep't and have no arrangement set up with a sales agency AFAIK. They have bought rent rolls in the past, but I wouldn't have thought, seeing RE sales aren't so hot now, that sales agents would want to sell rent rolls. That's usually the cash cow in bad times. No idea where new suckers - i.e. landlords - would be coming from..

I run the http://friedlaenders.com site and it has been unbelievable the stories that I have heard about these guys. From the stories I have heard (assuming they're true), its almost like they are acting like the insurance Company in the Movie "Rainmaker". They seem like they reject all requests for board and just fight it when people arc up.

Do you guys have any thoughts on possible body/s to report them too? My incident was over 3 years ago but others ask and I would love to send them some where.

Molly
PS. Someone mentioned Facebook groups. Anyone have a link?

I just looked for the facebook group and couldnt find it.... i was helping a friend of mine who used to be a tenant of FRE deal with some issues they were havign and when we searched back then there was a group about them (approx 12-18 months ago i guess)

As for who you can go to to complain about them..... Consumer Affairs is the best place to start, the REIV (even if they arent members) and the BLA. Lol if you are really keen and have a large enough bank of evidence try shooting it through to today tonight or ACA.. you never know your luck!

I can't begin to explain the trouble i've been having with Friedlaenders. Im a tenant in a rental property and I have been bullied, harassed and intimidated by Charles Friedlaender for several months now. Im kind of at my wits end. :(

I wonder why hasn't he been reprimanded yet?

Do NOT rent with Friedlaenders!

Hi Folks,

I was so relieved to see these posts. I actually thought I was starting to loose the plot from my dealings with Charles Friedlaender. 14 months of systematic, relentless bullying and harassment. I gave written notice, followed the letter of the law, and left the place spotless (and had done quite a bit of work to improve it from its original state). I knew I had to do everything perfectly because Charles would be the kind of bully to try to retain the bond. In fact, when I gave notice he sent an email stating, "I can't gaurentee that the owners won't get nasty about the bond." Despite asking on what grounds they would object, I received no direct answer, only further intimidation tactics. I had never had an inspection (in 14 months), no grounds to believe there was any damage to the property. In fact, I advised Charles on a couple of occasions of items I had fixed (at my expense) as there was never a reply to repair requests. Indeed - the bond did become a major issue. Charles advised that he had filed charges against me with the police - charges of grafitti damage to the property and charges of "threats" to him and his receptionist. Yes - there was grafitti damage to the property - and there were photos of it in the pre-inspection report by Friedlaenders! Charles failed to respond to my advise that HIS photos showed the grafitti and I was accused of lying??? After several abusive messages from him, I advised that I wouldn't respond and would take the issue to VCAT. His lengthy reply was that he had had a private investigator look in to me (what the heck!), that I had a "very colourful history with the police", and that he was sure the last thing I needed was more trouble with the law. Despite my emails to him, he ignored my questions as to why I was investigated, on what grounds, and for any evidence of "threats" by me... Fact of the matter is, I do have a long history with the Police: I was a Police Officer!!.... Any further intimidation tactics from Charles and I responded with "there is no need for further correspondence. We can resolve this with the appropriate legal entity - VCAT.".... I have just signed the Bond Claim form. It remains to be seen whether or not Charles actually signs and submits the form, but that is not my reason for submitting this post... I have read on this site and others stories of harassment and bullying. It is WRONG that Charles continues to get away with this. To ensure that this doesn't continue to happen to tenants, I want to make a submission to the Estate Agents Resolution Service (EARS) in Victoria. I have a file worth of harassing, threatening, and highly unprofessional correspondence. Nothing will change unless people like us actually present to the appropriate agency. PLEASE contact me if you'll join me in making a submission.

Last edited:
Back