Cost to add a room on. Pics.

We are looking to add a new room. Sort of a parents retreat. It would go into the spot where the carport is now. Ive outlined in red the new walls below.
2 things maight affect the cost, the carport is already "under main roof" not sure if thats going to save money or make it harder for the builder to errect frameing etc under it. Also the carport has its own concrete slab, Id guess thats 100mm or so, so I think so it would need to be removed to pour a slab??
Room would be about 21 M square, 1 door from the master bedroom couple of windows.
What do you think it would cost? We are in Adelaide.

alteration.jpg

Last edited:
66 views no-one has any idea?

Whats the typical cost per square meter for house additions in SA at least?

Thanks if anyone can help.

sorry! asleep!
the usual price would be beetween 1,500 < 1,800 mer meter squared but as the roofline is their it may reduce the price , or due to the difficulty of thatching the new structure to the old it may reduce the amount of people willing to do the project, and hence add to the price?
I can build as owner builder for $600 per square meter, the new slab needs to be waterproofed and layed, etc etc...
but saying this i am based in canberra, and those would be canberra prices.
so expect 21 sq meters to be aroung 30k ish.

I'm no expert, so i may be completely off here, but since there's already an existing roof, i don't think you need to get any council approval, to just put up some walls and an isulated ceiling if there isn't one already.

If you don't want to diy all that, then i don't imagine it costing much more than a few grand to get all that done.

Add the costs of an electrician for power points & lights, a plumber for any gas connections to heaters, or maybe just a duct to the existing heating/cooling, etc...

All up, i reckon you could pay for it all to be done under $10k, and if you diy the bricks, frame, ducting & painting, just pay for elec, then around $3k-4k might do it.

You've already got the roof, and a slab!

Thanks for the replies.
Dont brickwalls need to have footings though? So even if we have a slab they need to dig a trench and put rebar and concrete into that, it ends up being a lot thinker than the slab? Not sure, I think thats what Ive seen on a few building sites?

I was thinking to use your driveway/existing slab as the footings for the walls. If the driveway can handle a couple of cars on it, which is alot of weight on eight relatively small areas, then a brick wall which is evenly spread out weight over a larger area, shouldn't be too much? but again, i'm no expert on the subject, i may be missing things :D

I also forgot to add the cost of flooring, so another couple of grand or so can be spent there, depending on what you use.

Do cladded exterior walls require footings? I have no idea :eek: but if not, it could be a cheap alternative and look fine if done properly and painted the right colour

Jo

I do believe that a council permit would be required, in saying that check with your council for confirmtion.

The carport is not a habitable area, regatdless of there being a roof on it. A garage is also deemed not habitable therefore to convert a garage to a room a pemit is required.

You may also be looking at getting permission from neighbours depending on how far from boundry and if there is any obstructions.

I do believe that a council permit would be required, in saying that check with your council for confirmtion.

The carport is not a habitable area, regatdless of there being a roof on it. A garage is also deemed not habitable therefore to convert a garage to a room a pemit is required.

You may also be looking at getting permission from neighbours depending on how far from boundry and if there is any obstructions.

correct ! and to turn the garage into a room starts way back with the slab/water proofing, concil ok's etc hence i said 30 k ish.

Chargin,
I can see from the photo that the carport slab would be part of the same "raft slab" as the rest of the house - reason being, any differential settlement between the house "raft slab" and a possible "isolated carport slab" and the roof would be buggered.

A raft slab is basically a 120-160mm flat slab stiffened by beams that make up a grid. The depth of slab, size and spacing of beams, & reinforcement depends on the soil conditions, and type of construction.

Ideally, the perimeter walls (in your case double cavity brick?) should lie directly over the thickening beams in the raft slab, although its not essential. I'd go out on a limb and say that the new walls you plan to build will be supported ok by the existing slab... but don't just listen to me ;) you should try to get your hands on the structural drawings - you found the architectural drawing ok. And make sure you comply with council by getting a building approval.

Sorry I can't give you an estimate on costs, but guessing it shouldn't be too expensive considering you already have the slab & roof :D

Back