Mildura?

I've been reading API for a while now and have noticed their interest in Mildura as of late, I looked around and can see good rental yields,

Can anyone add any input on what they think Mildura will see growth wise within the next few years and why?

Where the hell is Mildura

Hi W2BW,

Despite having had probably one of the biggest RE booms in the history of this country from 1999+, Mildura (as a whole - or maybe is a hole :)) could not even manage to double its median price which went from $110K in 1999 to $210K in 2007 before peetering out with a 5% drop last year in 2008.

Will it do better in future - I dunno. I know past performance is not a good indicator of future trends, but I'm not impressed so far :p

Last edited:
I went there. Once.
Not sure I'd put my money there. I know people who have and they have done OK, but only OK. My feeling is that if you can afford to buy better quality in a bigger city, then that might be a better bet.
Then again, what would I know ...

LMAO Rob, you are gooood value mate :)

Got to keep you from thinking about the fags.
Go have a look at the girlie pics on Francine's Motor Show thread. Let your fiance catch you checking out the grid girls. That ought to keep you in enough trouble that you won't want to smoke for a while. Give you something else to think about.

Sheesh! I take a few hours away from the forum and you're all trashing my birthplace! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, Mildura is my hometown and I still have loads of connections there, and visit several times a year. I think I have a reasonably objective view of the town, because I'm familiar with it, but haven't lived there for nearly 30 years. ;)

I think Mildura has a lot of things going for it, and I think its real estate has under-performed long-term. Will it change? I wouldn't say "definitely", but what was a dying town in the 80s, has become a thriving rural city in the noughties. The feel of the city has definitely changed the last 5 years or so; it feels a lot more urbanised and dynamic than it used to. I think its real estate represents good value, even by country town standards.

Centro built a large shopping centre in 2003, and it's absolutely thriving. Officeworks and Big W are coming to town. The "mall" in the centre of town (Centro is the other major shopping area, on the southern edge of town) is about to undergo an extensive (and badly needed) refurbishment. Target, Harvey Norman, Bunnings, Maccas x 2, KFC, etc are all there, some of them for decades, some more recently. More big chains have moved into town than have left town.

Big developments happening/coming: solar tower, transport hub (Thurla freight gate) linking the Sydney-Adelaide-Perth road route with the Melbourne-Mildura railway, Australia's first inland marina, increased mining around Ouyen (many workers sourced from Mildura).

Risks/downsides: big problems with access to water, particularly for agriculture, and both the citrus and grapegrowers are doing it very tough. There's a huge supply of land available for residential development, and that's likely to increase as more horticulturalists go bust. So there's not a scarcity of land, but the Council has thus far handled the balance between "not releasing too much" and "allowing growers to profit from close-in land" quite well, keeping prices quite stable.

Lifestyle: great weather, most of the year. Summer very hot and dry, winter has very cold mornings but sunny crisp days. Autumn and spring just lovely. Lots of people from Melbourne (500km) and Adelaide (400km) retire to Mildura because they can live much better in Mildura than they could in the big smoke, enjoy the weather, and fly to the kids in the city in an hour. (Or drive in 4/5.) Heaps of activities and support for retirees, in particular - lots of bowls clubs, Probus, great retirement villages and hospitals etc. Younger people tend to occupy themselves with playing sports (Aussie rules is huge, and cricket), fishing, dirt-biking, camping, and water-skiing; lots of activities focus around the Murray River.

It's a very safe place and doesn't have anywhere near as much conflict between the indigenous and non-indigenous populations that are commonplace in many other country towns. I swore I'd never live there again, but to be honest, if hubby could get a good job there, I'm sure we could be quite happy there.

ozperp;523111 There's a huge supply of land available for residential development........ So there's not a scarcity of land..............[/QUOTE said:
That is always my major concern with Country Town/City investing. I would much rather put my money into a Capital City where there is pressure on land prices.

Gools

Thanks for all your info guys I really appreciate it, plus, you might've saved me a *****load of money somewhere along the line, phew... that was close..

I didn't know about the excess supply of land, thats one thing I'd never willingly buy into.

This is not a black/white issue, and the issue of land availability, whilst it has to be considered, is now being over-emphasised IMHO. Yes, there is a lot of land around the area, but likewise, most Australian cities - certainly including Darwin! - could theoretically go on expanding outwards forever. But there is still only a certain amount of land that's close in to all amenities, and that land does attract a premium over land in new releases on the fringe.

The local Council is acutely aware of the potential negative effect of allowing residential development of too much agricultural land, and very carefully limits release. Thus far, I think they've done a pretty reasonable job. All land available for residential development is being developed, so there's not currently an excess at all. I'm just saying that one of the risk factors is that they may not manage this as well in future.

So if you need immediate growth, you should probably go for more premium land in the centre of town (where there are also pockets of character housing, which are - I believe - presently under-valued and not sufficiently appreciated by the locals). If you develop on the outskirts, you may have to have a longer time-frame to achieve capital growth, but the yield on a lower cost base, provided with strong depreciation benefits, might make homes in new developments cashflow neutral to positive from day one.

People try and over-simplify to "good" or "bad" areas for investing. Firstly, each area has a huge number of potential deals, which vary enormously. And one person's pro is another person's con. You simply need to know the characteristics of a particular investment, and see if it's appropriate to your particular circumstances (cashflow, equity, risk profile, etc). :)

Some Victorian Valuer General *statistics for Mildura:

Median House Prices 1994-2005

1994: $95,000..............2004: $184,000-----change of 94%

1997 MHP: $95,000

1998: $100,000

1999: $110,500

2000: $120,000

2001: $135,000

2002: $155,750

2003: $170,000

2004: $185,000

2005: $190,000

2006: $200,000

2007: $215,000

PRELIM. FIGURE 2008: $201,000

2006 TO 2007 CHANGE WAS: 8%

Change for 1997 to 2007: 126%

Growth Per Annum 1997 to 2007: 8.5%

Reiterate what Ozperp said, except she puts it far more elonquent than I can.

Extended family in Mildura, one has been investing there a couple of decades, house came up next to hers for sale, she bought it, rented out. Year later the house on other side of her PPOR came up for sale, she thought she would like to buy it.

From there she has bought many more, units, houses, built houses, built units, their growth in value has been consistent and steady, she doesn't have much of a problem renting them.. Mildura has served her well on her bit of wealth creation.

Another relative bought a commercial property, saw a unit for sale on the way home from inspecting that shed and thought she might like to buy it too, so that was only a couple of years ago, she is pleased with her buys.

The City that supposedly has more sunshine hours? than Queensland, did have? may still be? one of Australia's fatest growing inland centres..well worth a visit, wineries, river cruising/camping, fun in general, too many to mention, diversified in enough industries for my liking, (no, don't have any IP's there, but only because I can have similar IP's in similar regional cities a little closer to me), some interesting reading:

http://www.milduravictoria.com.au/?gclid=CKTR8trxm5kCFRlcagodLXMvDw

http://www.visitmildura.com.au/

http://www.mildura.vic.gov.au/

http://www.mildura.vic.gov.au/Page/page.asp?Page_Id=63&h=0

http://www.mildura.vic.gov.au/Page/page.asp?Page_Id=64&h=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildura,_Victoria

http://au.travel.yahoo.com/great-outdoors/australia/victoria/murray/mildura-victoria.html

http://www.mildura.vic.gov.au/page/page.asp?page_Id=1813

ah, here it is, from above link:

Planning, Infrastructure and Facilities Help Regional Growth - 28/2/2007

The Mildura region is Australia’s fastest growing inland area, according to recently released Australian Bureau of Statistics figures.

An annual population growth of 2.2% was recorded in the urban section of the district over the 2005-06 financial year, putting the region’s growth above Bendigo, Ballarat, Shepparton and Toowoomba.

Mildura Rural City’s population growth was 2% overall.

The figures have come in spite of the horticultural downturn, which shows the growing diversity of the Mildura region’s economy and the opportunities available for new residents.

“Our wonderful river lifestyle, opportunities for work, excellent health and education facilities, advanced transport links including national highways and the Mildura Airport all combine to make an excellent package and people from outside the region are realising this.”

“Mildura is simply growing at this rate because it is a wonderful, welcoming and interesting place to live, with many business opportunities,” Mildura Rural City Council Mayor John Arnold said.

Councillor Arnold said the statistics vindicated Council’s emphasis on longer term strategic planning as well as town planning land releases and Council’s long term financial planning including appropriate capital works expenditure.

Successive budgets have increased funding to capital works projects, with a $1.6 million increase in the 2006-07 budget, while a number of major projects based around the Mildura Riverfront are helping build a community precinct suitable for the arts, cultural and entertainment needs of a growing population.

“As a region, we are able to cater for more people because of Council’s work in dealing with town planning, infrastructure and service provision challenges,” Councillor Arnold said.

Sunraysia Mallee Economic Development Board Chief Executive Officer Andrew Millen said Mildura’s more diversified economy was helping regional growth.

“Mildura’s manufacturing and service sectors continue to support the region. The region provides a range of services for a large and diverse catchment area, which means more opportunities for employment,” Mr Millen said.

“Housing prices remain competitive and new initiatives aimed at opening up new opportunities for our primary producers overseas will only help continue this growth and, more importantly, make sure we can continue to preserve the industries that have sustained our region while growing new ones.”

What people write about this little oasis of an inland city is correct for many. People love it.

Can't wait to see the new Marina.

My partner took these pics hot air ballooning there, few years old (pre marina) now.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/data/517/medium/Mildura.JPG

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/data/500/medium/mildura1aerial1.JPG

* subject to interpretation

Last edited:
Ozperp:
So if you need immediate growth, you should probably go for more premium land in the centre of town (where there are also pockets of character housing, which are - I believe - presently under-valued and not sufficiently appreciated by the locals). If you develop on the outskirts, you may have to have a longer time-frame to achieve capital growth, but the yield on a lower cost base, provided with strong depreciation benefits, might make homes in new developments cashflow neutral to positive from day one.

People try and over-simplify to "good" or "bad" areas for investing. Firstly, each area has a huge number of potential deals, which vary enormously. And one person's pro is another person's con. You simply need to know the characteristics of a particular investment, and see if it's appropriate to your particular circumstances (cashflow, equity, risk profile, etc).

Beautifully put/explained. Can we stuff and mount that last paragraph please.

Hi, I did a quick trawl & found 200+ properties for sale & 150 for rent.

Does anyone have any idea of population stats eg number of households, % home owners vs renters?

KY

Kum yin lau :

Hi, I did a quick trawl & found 200+ properties for sale & 150 for rent.

Does anyone have any idea of population stats eg number of households, % home owners vs renters?

Some sites for *stats:

RPData

http://reareports.realestate.com.au...eet_temp=&streetExt=&streetDir=&postcode=3500

Australian Bureau of Statistics

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]&prodno=LGA24780&issue=2002-2006&num=&view=

Home Price Guide
http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/snapshot/price/index.cfm?action=view&source=apm

* Subject to interpretation

Thanks, obssession.

I've developed an obssession for stats. Completely fascinating.

My ex tenant [very young single mother, bit of no hoper] left Adelaide with a baby to live in Mildura.

We're going to serve summonses on her and her ex [works in mines] for 6 weeks rent and repairs [hole in the door]

Scary thought - don't tell me there're thousands of carbon copies of her in Mildura?

KY

Few more stats KY..

Towns close by Mildura.

Irymple

1997 median house price $97,000.........2007 MHP $245,000

06/07 change: 14%

1997 to 2007 change: 153%

Growth P/A: 9.7%

Redcliffs

1997 MHP $75,750

2007: $149,500

2006 /2007 change: 0%

1997-2007 change: 80%

GPA: 6%

Merbein

1997: $67,000..............2007: $162,000

06/07 change: 8%

1997-2007 change: 142%

GPA 9.2%

Thanks for the stats. That's why I was piqued.

$150000 - $170000 for what I can see from the photos is a nice looking house has to be good value, specially if 50000 people live in the town.

It'll cost more to build.

KY

Welcome Paul.

I have had these links floating around, just couldn't get my mitts on them the other night.

Grow Mildura Region

http://www.growmilduraregion.com.au/mildura_region.php

ECONOMY
"The Mildura Region (also known as Sunraysia and part of the wider Murray Valley) has a diverse thriving economy. Mildura is immediately surrounded by an irrigation-based horticultural area, with dryland cropping on its fringe. Agriculture, coupled with a population in excess of 57,000 enables the region to sustain a significant commercial and industrial base. The two major regional locations are Mildura in Victoria and Wentworth in New South Wales."

It is an interesting read, regardless of investing there or not, for people interested in different parts of our (State) country.

GETTING THERE

BY ROAD

Calder Highway
550kms North-West of Melbourne
Sturt Highway
1080kms West of Sydney
Sturt Highway
400kms North-East of Adelaide
Sunraysia Highway
450kms North of Ballarat
Silver City Highway
300kms South of Broken Hill

BY AIR
FLYING TIMES
Melbourne 1 hour 10 minutes
Adelaide 50 minutes
Sydney 2 hours 40 minutes

Mildura Airport is the busiest Regional Airport for passenger movements in Victoria. The airport has three commercial airlines..I use it, nice, newish airport/facilities, and does good latte, on par with Hudson's at the International Terminal, Tullamarine, (where all us lefty, optimist's hang out :)).

...and

Another good read/resource:

Sunraysia Mallee Economic Development Board

http://www.smedb.com.au/

Fact Sheets
Fact sheets on the Mildura region are available to download from the links below.

http://www.smedb.com.au/regionaldata/factsheets.asp

Mildura Region Overview (PDF 385Kb)
Mildura Region Major Projects (PDF 329Kb)
Mildura Region Websites (PDF 187Kb)

Mildura Region Snapshot (PDF 4.1Mb)

Wine (PDF 3.98Mb)

Produce (PDF 6.62Mb)

Education (PDF 1.94Mb)

Skills Shortages (PDF 201Kb)

Investment (PDF 1.22Mb)

Again, the links, in pdf's are an interesting read, especially if you don't know much about the area, it is quite a thriving little mediterranean type regional city, that continues to grow and prosper, as well as a great lifestyle...(another having been foaled there and lived, on and off over some time).

Many thanks for your advice Henry.

You have certainly given me some very good information to go on!

I think I'll take a look around the next time I'm up there.

Back