The day the mighty fell (the Australian cricket team)

For those who follow cricket or sport this is a day for the annals.

Barring a performance greater than that of Bob Willis and Ian Botham combined (1981 Ashes) or some crazy Melbourne weather, with South Africa at 0 for 120 requiring a further 63 runs to win the test and the series, 30 December 2008 will go down in cricket history as the day that arguably the most dominant team in test history was completely knocked off its perch.

Our first home series defeat since the 2-1 defeat the West Indies handed us in 1992-93 (we came within 2 runs of winning that series), and the first time in 20 years (1988-89, Pakistan / West Indies) that we've lost back to back series.

I think it is good for cricket, myself.

I also think it could spell the end of the test careers of Mr Flat Track Bully (Hayden) and The Pretender (Symonds).

For those who follow cricket or sport this is a day for the annals.

Barring a performance greater than that of Bob Willis and Ian Botham combined (1981 Ashes) or some crazy Melbourne weather, with South Africa at 0 for 120 requiring a further 63 runs to win the test and the series, 30 December 2008 will go down in cricket history as the day that arguably the most dominant team in test history was completely knocked off its perch.

Our first home series defeat since the 2-1 defeat the West Indies handed us in 1992-93 (we came within 2 runs of winning that series), and the first time in 20 years (1988-89, Pakistan / West Indies) that we've lost back to back series.

I also think it could spell the end of the test careers of Mr Flat Track Bully (Hayden) and The Pretender (Symonds).

Hi Mark-B

I agree that we have been knocked off our perch and we are in for a period of mixed results, hopefully we can get back there sooner rather than later.

Will probably be the end of Hayden and Symonds however as your tag quotes

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed" ~ Michael Jordan

Cheers

Pete

Regarding my current sig:

Imo the Australian cricket team haven't failed enough in recent years.

Again, imo I think they've been too successful, to the point of making it dull (and I don't think it has been good for world cricket).

I'm not saying I never want them to win another test or series, but they got too arrogant. I think it is nice to see the tables turned on them (and in spectacular and unequivocal fashion too, might I add).

As the saying goes:

The King is dead...

...long live the king.

I agree its good for cricket.. its boring when Australia when every series, even more boring when they when every test. Exception being when they play England, 5-0 in the ashes is highly entertaining :D Here's hoping for another 5-0.

Its a shame about Hayden's form.. I don't doubt his ability, or Symonds.. pretty boy Michael Clarke on the otherhand :rolleyes:

Regarding my current sig:

Imo the Australian cricket team haven't failed enough in recent years.

Again, imo I think they've been too successful, to the point of making it dull (and I don't think it has been good for world cricket).

I'm not saying I never want them to win another test or series, but they got too arrogant. I think it is nice to see the tables turned on them (and in spectacular and unequivocal fashion too, might I add).

As the saying goes:

The King is dead...

...long live the king.

Hi Mark-B

Re. your sig.

I was alluding more to Hayden and Symonds and a tall poppy syndrome
rather than the team as a whole.

Cheers

Pete

I'll be glad to see Ponting and co taken down a peg or two. The arrogance has been rather horrific the last few years.

I'm old enough to remember the Aussies losing everything and a win being something to celebrate - not just an expected outcome.

I would assume that many of you (those under 30?) would not remember much more than the Aussies winning everything, but I remember them being pretty cr@p and their being much more competition between the cricketing countries.

Although I hate to see the Aussies beaten so emphatically it'll be great for the game to have more competition. Wonderful also for the younger players and those achieving great results in state cricket - they will now be able to see a chance to make their mark on the team as the re-building program begins.

Minx

I remember being beaten by New Zealand in 1985/86.

AB (Legend!) and some of the players borne out of that era (Tugga, Merv, Boonie) - more fortitude in their little toes than I suspect some of this current lot have in their entire body.

Turk, if you pick anyone long enough they'll produce the goods.

Good one Mark, have a look at their averages, happy if they pick me
long enough unfortunately will probably average about 1.

You obviously believe in quanity over quality, glad you're not a selector.

Cheers

Pete

Look at how the selectors persisted with Mark Taylor during his slump (19 innings without a 50 as I recall) - before he scored a ton (and later 334*)

Or the many almost career ending slumps that Mark Waugh had, such that only when he as at deaths door did he produce a superlative innings so we could all remember how brilliant he was, but at the same time forget that a guy who averged just over 40 in tests had the talent (but not the brain) to average over 60.

Sad joke in regards to the Australian cricket team - it is harder to get out of it, than it is to get into it (you may have heard that phrase).

It's a reference to selection based on reputation not form.

It's form that counts, ultimately.

Minx

I remember being beaten by New Zealand in 1985/86.

AB (Legend!) and some of the players borne out of that era (Tugga, Merv, Boonie) - more fortitude in their little toes than I suspect some of this current lot have in their entire body.

I actually don't remember being beaten by NZ - I must have wiped that from my memory as too painful. I remember going to a ODI at the WACCA sometime in the 80's and watching the Windies flog the Aussies - all out for 96 from memory. The group in front of us had made a sign that said something like "the West Indies play calypso and the Aussies play collapso" - it was very appropriate that day!

Maybe it's just my advanced age ;), but the team today seem childish and immature compared to the players from that era.

Hi Mark B

"Look at how the selectors persisted with Mark Taylor during his slump (19 innings without a 50 as I recall) - before he scored a ton (and later 334*)

Or the many almost career ending slumps that Mark Waugh had, such that only when he as at deaths door did he produce a superlative innings so we could all remember how brilliant he was, but at the same time forget that a guy who averged just over 40 in tests had the talent (but not the brain) to average over 60."

As I say Mark quality over quanity rather than your quote,

"Turk, if you pick anyone long enough they'll produce the goods."

Cheers

Pete

As I say Mark quality over quanity rather than your quote,

Turk, mugs don't get to play for Australia (though I think they made an exception with Scott Muller), so it is always quality.

But even the best lose form.

I fully subscribe to the view that class is permanent and form is temporary, but I also believe that a spot in the Australian cricket team is a priveledge and not a right and no-one is, or should be, above the axe when the time comes.

Everyone likes to think that great sportspeople can have cinderella send-off's (like Chappell, Lillee and Marsh in '84, Ray Price & Mick Cronin in 86 [league], and Warne, McGrath and Langer in 2007), but the truth is it doesn't often happen.

Ponting is an amazing batsman, but I dont think he seems to understand the strategy of fielding - hence his unusual decisions with the use of his bowlers and field placings (hubby is a former state Cricketer and Captain btw). We often commented that Waugh used to pull out the good score just at a time when he might have been dropped.

One thing which has changed has been the ages of cricketers when making their debut - often into the very late twenties or even thirties. Not good for long term performance. And the injuries, persistent, to key players. Watson - can't believe he is injured again.

I guess the question is, has Australia dropped its standards to be more like the opposition, or has the opposition improved to the extent that it can match Australia. Unfortunately, I think it is the former.

hubby is a former state Cricketer and Captain btw

Do tell.

:D

(If you'd prefer it not be public, a PM perhaps?)

We often commented that Waugh used to pull out the good score just at a time when he might have been dropped.

Yep, he seldom played as brilliant as when the Sword of Damocles was dangling perilously over his head by a single thread of frayed cotton.

One thing which has changed has been the ages of cricketers when making their debut - often into the very late twenties or even thirties.

Yeah, for whatever reason (the $$$$$$ they earn these days perhaps?) modern cricketers seem happy to play well into their late 30's. Aside from a few notable former players (Sobers, Bradman, etc) it is a fairly recent phenomenon.

I guess the question is, has Australia dropped its standards to be more like the opposition, or has the opposition improved to the extent that it can match Australia. Unfortunately, I think it is the former.

I think it could be the latter.

We were spoiled for years with once in a generation type players like McGrath and Warne (I single those two out for special mention since to win a test you need to take 20 wickets).

This is the post golden-era slump and I fear it has only just begun.

Hi Mark B

I agree when you write the following,

"Turk, mugs don't get to play for Australia (though I think they made an exception with Scott Muller), so it is always quality.

But even the best lose form.

I fully subscribe to the view that class is permanent and form is temporary, but I also believe that a spot in the Australian cricket team is a priveledge and not a right and no-one is, or should be, above the axe when the time comes."

However where we seem to disagree is that once the form has gone that we start bagging these players as "flat track bullies" or "pretenders", this is nothing than trying to
cut down tall poppies.

Cheers

Pete

However where we seem to disagree is that once the form has gone that we start bagging these players as "flat track bullies" or "pretenders", this is nothing than trying to cut down tall poppies.

To be fair, I've been calling Hayden a FTB and Symonds a Pretender for years (so even during the good times too).

The former is the master at scoring runs off 3rd rate attacks on docile pitches, and the latter is the test all-rounder you get when you really don't have a test all-rounder.

I won't be sad to see either of them gone.

Does'nt matter how long you're been bagging these players, it's still the tall poppy syndrome.

TPS is bagging someone because they're succesful.

I just don't like them and never have.

Incidently - capitulation now complete - we lost by 9 wickets. In the office here (NZ) it has been all anyone has been talking about for the last hour - I'm sure that conversation will be repeated millions of times around the world. All these tall poppy syndrome sufferers!

Whats not to like about Symonds? He has always been one of the best fielders, outstanding batters in one-dayers/20-20, can get a few wickets bowling.. then when he gets the s--ts he goes fishing :D

Back