Duplex build with daughter

Rockstar, Giddo and I are all building at the same time so I may as well start a thread.

Our build has been a long time in actually starting...This is the 3rd property we have built with the same builder.

Built IP in 2007 with the builder it was going to be a duplex but realised I should have brought block of land with daughter so I changed that build to 4x2x2.

Currrent duplex build...
Looked at block of land in July 2007, (with builder)
Finalised purchase in October 2007
Building was suppose to start February / March 2008 (don't ask)

We are building a 3x1x2 duplex so that our daughter can have a PPOR without maintenance issues as opposed to buying an older house for 250K.

Land 145K
Section 94 & 62 (or whatever the council contribution numbers are) 18220K
Contract to build 336,290K

We have a block of land that slopes towards the road - so basically not suitable for a project home builder.

Footings were poured last Friday.

In between purchasing of land and applying for finance to build our Credit Union merged with another Credit Union (and lost their identity and had to take on the larger Union's processes and paperwork) + our Senior Loans Officer went on extended sick leave (fell off horse and broke hip).

Today

I signed 'Authority for Variation to Contract' for bricks daughter picked, and additonal remote control unit, upgrade for security screens to most windows, upgraded toilet system, and half mirror sliding doors in main bedrooms $3268K.

Will also need to sign variation for kitchen upgrade for daughter for her unit.

When building, I do not expect the build to run smoothly!!!

I hired an interior design consultant to help me with the colours (out of the phone book) for $240 we picked tiles and shape of tiles, kitchen colours, carpet, paint colours & she threw in the names of shrubs for the garden.

It was the first time Interior Designer had picked paint colours out of the boot of her car.

Bottom line..we have started and we have everything selected, but nothing runs smoothly.

Style of front door daughter and I had selected is not available so I picked something else. (May go over to Bunnings and see if they have something nicer for the price allowance).

Only reservation is waiting for my husband to see what interior designer picked for bathroom as definitely different.

Regards
Sheryn

Last edited:
or a 2 car garage ;)

what is the build time? has land value increased over time? where is it located please?

Cheers and good luck!

Rockstar, Giddo and I are all building at the same time so I may as well start a thread.

There's nothing like peer group pressure hey Sheryn! :D

Good to see that you are a realist with your expectations regarding the little hurdles that will inevitably arise. Are you taking photos?

or a 2 car garage ;)

what is the build time? has land value increased over time? where is it located please?

Cheers and good luck!

Land is in Goonellabah NSW.

I don' think the land has increased (last 5 blocks haven't sold - so maybe decreased a bit)

Build time - well daughter should have moved in by now and be doing her yard, instead we are only just starting.

We have paid approximately $800 a month since October last year in interest payments. (My interest payments are tax deductible but daughter's are not).

I do not think the duplex will be completed by Christmas most likely late February or March.

Build will be 20 - 26 weeks IMHO.

Footings are poured and the brickwork is going up. Has rained last 2 days.

The house across the road with the orange roof is IP No 1

The house beside us is dug in the ground at the back and a small section of their retaining wall blocks are on our land.

Regards
Sheryn

Thanks for the pics Sheryn. Are the remaining blocks duplex compliant? If so how much do they have on them?
Your soil looks volcanic.
Hope the rain doesn't hang around too long for us.

Hi Sheryn

We've been investing through 3 property cycles now and started developing 10 years ago. No matter how much we plan for each project we still have the odd surprise, it's all part of developing. Some things are just out of your control especially the weather. We expect hiccups to happen with each project we take on but each time we face a hurdle we just focus on the end goal.

All the best with your project and we look forward to more pics.

Are the remaining blocks duplex compliant? If so how much do they have on them? Your soil looks volcanic. Hope the rain doesn't hang around too long for us.

I believe there are still some blocks for sale. The block next to us has sold and the owner wishes to build a duplex after he sells his PPOR.

Soil is red is that volcanic?

Rained again last night. I will post more pictures.

Emailed our builder as daughter wants to change the colour of the roof from grey to black now she has seen the bricks & mortar.

Daughter will visit site frequently and I will only go once a week (only 5 minutes away from home).

Cheers
Sheryn

Slow progress

Brickies have finished the base. Garage is being prepared for concreting. Oranganised two customer service numbers so electicity can be connected to duplexes.

Daughter also changed her mind on appliances in kitchen now stainless steel (she is having a white kitchen - I think white appliances would have looked good especially since she will have a white fridge).

Regards
Sheryn

Attachments

• P9160958.jpg
    P9160958.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 196
  • P9070957.jpg
    P9070957.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 196
  • P9160960.jpg
    P9160960.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 229
Just a note: when others ask what type of soil is it, they are refering to the classification,if my memory serves me? "A" class is rock,and some silt.
"M" class is silt anclay base.
"S" is soft and sand base.
"F" is reclaimed land and filled sites.
I am not being specific to this post, but just stating, i've seen people ask "what soil is it " with a reply of, volcanic, ???

Moving slowly along....

End of September update....

We were onsite this morning for a look and had a conversation with the subbie.

Slabs have been poured and ag pipe being laid behind slab today.

Apparently the brickies have been the hold up, they now need to come back and finish dividing brickwall between the two sides and piers.

Received Stage 1 tax invoice for duplex for $56999.00 which has to be paid within 7 days.

Have contacted Lender as we will contribute $50231 and Lender $6768 (Lender is not going to send out Valuer to check building progress as such a small initial amount drawdown from loan)

Also received 'Variation to Contract' for daughters kitchen she wants diamond gloss top and large D handles on drawers. So will sign and fax back to Builder.

Received from council 2 x water bills for both units $25 each.

Regards
Sheryn

Just a note: when others ask what type of soil is it, they are refering to the classification,if my memory serves me? "A" class is rock,and some silt.
"M" class is silt anclay base.
"S" is soft and sand base.
"F" is reclaimed land and filled sites.
I am not being specific to this post, but just stating, i've seen people ask "what soil is it " with a reply of, volcanic, ???

Craig, being a landscaper I am always interested in the quality of the soil as well as the class. Volcanic soil around Goonelabah would be part of The Big Scrub which was the largest area of rainforest in Australia before the timbercutters and farmers cleared the land. The basalt derived soil is great for growing things in but it stains everything red! I have heard that some areas in the Northern Rivers have over 50ft of volcanic topsoil although it would be mostly clay loam.

Busy busy ....

Yesterday I was organising to pay Stage 1 so I checked the building contract schedule of progress payments and noted that piers were to be complete and they aren't so I contacted Builder this morning to tell him that piers aren't complete on basework.

Brickies arrived on site this morning so I guess piers will be completed shortly and then I will pay Stage 1.

Just as well I am on holidays...

• Chasing up fencing contractors (No 1 IP)
  • Typed up a letter and sent by Registered Post requesting half share cost of fence (read the Fencing Act) in order to write letter.
  • Car broke down last week we got the car back today 5K was the bill ($4953.25 to be exact).
  • Typed up initial application for employment and response to selection criteria for daughter and she altered and added to document and emailed off today!
  • Daughter transfered her money into wrong account (our loan account instead of duplex account) needed Lender Loans Department to rectify.

And lets not forget that I typed up Hubby's assignment and submitted for him.

On Tuesday night we attended a 2 hour seminar put on by our local council on Active Climate Change. I learnt about different types of roof water heaters, roof energy grids, energy efficent lighting, water tanks, water efficent washing machines and roof insulation.

Best thing was I know the approximatle cost of each and what Commonwealth, State, Council and special rebates apply to all. Well worth the 2 hours

Regards
Sheryn :p

Base brickwork complete

Stage 1 payment has been paid and we now move onto the next stage.

Bearers joists and flooring have been delivered and the carpenters should be at the site shortly.

I had to reselect the floor tiles for the laundry and bathroom floor.

The laundry was to be 400 x 400 the same size as the kitchen but I would have had to sign a disclaimer as there could be trouble with the water run off into the laundry drain eg. not enough fall.

Same problem with the bathroom tile so easier to change size of tile. (we have flooded our bathroom twice in the last 10 years)

Variances to be signed (for below) additions as builder wished to order tiles.
  1. Soap holder for bathtub
  2. Tile back patio
All up about $380

While I was out looking at tiles I thought I would checkout security/safety screens for front doors starting cost about $650 for a fancy door. Measure and fit included.

I will stick with the plain security door the window company makes as security screens to windows and doors come in at about $1K extra

On the good side the IR rates will go down before daughter has to make large repayments.

Cheers
Sheryn ;)

Happy to see it's moving along for you Sheryn. Do you have to go down to 200's in tiles or are 300's ok? I need to get onto tile selection shortly so will need to make this decision as well. In our last duplex we went 200's but I think 300's would look better.

Regards, Ian

Rockstar

Hubby picked out 200 x 200 (incidentially there was an additonal cost to bed 300 x 300) as it was the best colour match to the larger tile.

I hadn't thought about bigger tiles looking nicer - will have to check out some display homes and think about this aspect for next project.

Cheers
Sheryn

Back