Kiva - helping others via micro-credit

One of our forumites made my day today by following the link in my signature, and signing up to Kiva. So I thought I'd tell some more of you about this amazing way to help the world's poor, just in case anybody else may be interested but not have heard of it.

Kiva facilitates regular people like you and me being able to provide micro-credit. You may have heard of micro-credit, which became well-known when Muhammad Yunus, founder of the Grameen Bank in Bangladesh, won the Nobel Prize in 2006.

Micro-credit is providing very small loans - a few hundred dollars, for example - to help people lift themselves out of poverty. Instead of "giving" charity, you lend money to people to enable them to look after themselves, through small business.

So you may be lending money for:
* a farmer to buy seed and fertiliser, or breeding stock
* a small business owner to buy new stock, or expand their product range
* tools and equipment for manufacturing
etc

You lend in bundles of US$25, which are combined with the US$25 contributions of other Kiva members, and lent out. The loans usually total US$500-2000, and the loan terms are usually between 6 and 18 months. You receive no interest. The borrower makes regular repayments, which include interest, and that interest goes to the administrator (micro-financier, "bank") for administering the loan. This is no profit-making venture for them; the "banks" are generally charitable organisations, and the interest rarely covers the full cost of administering the loans. The banks are rated by Kiva according to their administration (and thus likelihood of the loans they approve being repaid); many of them have a zero default rate. In any case, you spread your funds around in US$25 bundles, so you're unlikely to lose much in any case. When the money's been repaid in total, you can either have it back, or (as I plan to do) re-lend it to somebody else.

You do know exactly who it is that's getting your money, what they're planning to do with it, and how they're going with repayments. If the borrower has access to the internet, you may even get updates from them as to how their business is doing and how your funds have helped. Sometimes the bank will post an update on their behalf.

What I really love about micro-credit is that it provides really tangible help to people in need, whilst preserving their dignity. They're not recipients of charity; like most of us they're using borrowed funds to make a better future for their families. :)

Thanks for sharing Tracey.

I too followed the link on your signature after hearing about Kiva elswhere and making the connection. It is a fantstic concept, helping people to help themselves. I have told quite a few people about this and now even my Dad is keen to get involved. We will be doing this with our children too.

I had a bit of a laugh when I saw a guy on there asking for a loan to finish putting an extension on his house in Mexico, standing amid piles of concrete blocks. Feeling the pinch with our finances lately, I imagined I might end up with my picture on there looking for a loan to finish building our townhouses soon.:D

Louise

Update: I've made 24 loans in the past 14 months, and I'm ahead of my target of making a loan a month. (Loans are $25 each.) I plan to make my 2009 target two loans a month; one from repaid funds, and adding another $25 from my money. The year after I should be able to make 3 loans a month, and so on... :cool:

I've had 3 loans fully repaid, and not a single payment late or missed on any of the loans. You can see our family's portfolio here.

What an amazing way to be able to provide a helping hand rather than a hand-out. :)

Tracey

I too followed your link and read the stories, I think its great.

I will also be getting invovled in 2009.

Thanks for the update

Chris

Kiva

Hi Tracey,

Marcia and I are also very keen to get involved and will do so in the next couple of days. There is no doubt in my mind that this is soooooo much better than donating to charity. It resonateds the old addage of teaching a man to fish and feed him for a day ...........etc.

What do people think about starting a SS team??

Cheers.

Chrisv

Hi Tracey,

LOVE my Kiva ! Thanks for the original link...
I am also at least 1 loan a month

I also just "gave" Kiva to my mortgage broker :D
they have a foundation that donates 10% of their profits to charities
http://www.acquiregroup.com.au/index.php?page=9&ssid=9&mid=8

So to everyone else
SUPPORT KIVA!!!!!

One of my loans is "Eldaniz" who wanted to buy some cattle (we would NOT think these were worthy beasts!!)
110095.jpg

Well he went to the markets.....check this out
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=LcyIv...app.php?page=businesses&action=about&id=30369

Different world hey!!
And we complain about .25% difference in our mortgages :(

Marcia and I are also very keen to get involved and will do so in the next couple of days. There is no doubt in my mind that this is soooooo much better than donating to charity. It resonateds the old addage of teaching a man to fish and feed him for a day
Absolutely. I hope you've joined and find it rewarding; I just love Kiva. :)
NOTOOL8 said:
What do people think about starting a SS team??
I love the idea, but just wonder if there'd be enough of us to make it worthwhile. What do others think?
Good on you, moyjos! Did you join after seeing me talk about it? I'd love to hear about anybody who joins as a result of my "spreading the word"... then I know I'm achieving something. :)
moyjos said:
One of my loans is "Eldaniz" who wanted to buy some cattle
Cool; I just watched this video. How great to see the man who got your loan, at the market. Are you the Sue from QLD referred to at the end? You're practically famous! LOL
Saw the link in your sig and have had a look, am definitely keen to get involved and spread the word when I can.
Good on you, THEHEATH, that's the spirit. :D If we can each make a few loans, and encourage others to make a few loans... Kiva will continue growing at an enormous rate. This truly is a very simple, practical, direct way for us to help people, in a way that preserves their dignity. An awesome concept.

Reactions: Muz
Originally Posted by moyjos

Good on you, moyjos! Did you join after seeing me talk about it? I'd love to hear about anybody who joins as a result of my "spreading the word"... then I know I'm achieving something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyjos
One of my loans is "Eldaniz" who wanted to buy some cattle

Cool; I just watched this video. How great to see the man who got your loan, at the market. Are you the Sue from QLD referred to at the end? You're practically famous! LOL

I joined Kiva on the back of a friend emailing me the link..but YES you are certainly achieving something.
The cattle market is definately different to any livestock market we have here.
Yes I am the "Sue from Qld" at the end :D

Kiva

Hello Ozperp and others,

The Muz's have joined Kiva as well. I saw Ozperp's signature a few days ago (on a different thread) and decided to do some research. Looks like a great organisation. We have already made 2 x $25US loans.

Thanks Ozperp for bringing this to my attention :)

The Muz's have joined Kiva as well. I saw Ozperp's signature a few days ago (on a different thread) and decided to do some research.
Thank YOU! It's so exciting to hear news like this; that's great, Muz. You've made my day. :)

Very inspirational stuff Tracey. I will also be checking it out futher to check if I want to get involved. I haven't had time to read any of it yet, but it does sound good.

Great Idea

Hey Tracey, I had a look the other day too and was impressed. Already forwarded it to friends and family.

Andrew

Hi Tracey

I too followed your thread and liked what I saw, I had to 'give back' our world vision boy due to hard times recently but as soon as things get better I hope to jump on board this one aswell.

Thank you skater, Andrew and sparky, for your support.

We now have a Somersoft lending team. :) I hope to see some of you join soon. I'm very excited about this!

Bearing in mind that whatever info you have on your Kiva profile then becomes available to all SS members, may I suggest that all team members provide a link in your signatures, at least for a few weeks? Perhaps we can raise visibility even further, and get more Somersofters to join us. :)

"You are awaiting approval to join this closed team."

I have joined ....now to just sort out my paypal account, which seems to have been blocked :( I think I forgot my password and put it in wrong 3 times :(

Thanks
Tracey

Good work Tracey, I may not be there for a while as sadly even $25 is a small fortune for us at the moment but as soon as I can get involved I will!

Hi Tracey,

Done the deed, joined the team and made some loans. Marcia will be making some in the next couple of days when she can make a decision who to choose.

I reckon this is a great way to spread the love and give back a little of the good fortune we have enjoyed.

C'mon SSers lets make the biggest ever snowball.

Cheers.

Chrisv.

Done the deed, joined the team and made some loans. Marcia will be making some in the next couple of days when she can make a decision who to choose.
Good on you, Chris! I understand Marcia's dilemma... I used to agonise; now I just try and pick a country or industry or combination that I haven't funded before. :)

At least there are plenty to choose from now; Kiva had a short period late last year where they were victims of their own success. They couldn't put the loans on the website quick enough. There would frequently be nobody that one could lend to; posted loans were funded within seconds. Thank goodness - through more staff or better software or something - they've resolved that, and it's gone back to how it has been for the vast majority of the time that I've been a member, ie heaps of loans to choose from.

Back