Anyone had Lasik or Laser Eye Surgery? Please share your experience

Hello,

Looking at having Lasik laser eye surgery. Went to a Lasik seminar around 2 years ago, but didn't have the money back then, but now thinking more seriously about it. Saw that, that Dr Andrew Rochford off TV's What's good for you" had it done; but one thing that surprised me was that the Eye Doctor said that at around 43 (Andrew was around 28 at the time) he'll have to start wearing glasses for reading again as your eyes diminish from around mid 40's onwards. Still at age 31 myself I think 12 or more years of great vision is worth spending around $7,000 on for both eyes.

I'd appreciate others sharing their experiences (hopefully all positive); particularly those who had it done maybe 5-10 years ago & what their eyes are like now; also like to know your age then or now (if you don't mind) & if the above scenario about wearing glasses is true or not?

I've spent the last 16 years or so with glasses & really missed out on being able to do a lot of outdoor activities; particularly swimming & going to the beach. Much appreciated in advance. :)

I have had Lasik laser eye surgery more than 10 years ago.

It has been great for me, as I played a lot of sport the glasses were not practical. My vision has been perfect since. No problems at all.

I am now 40. No signs of my vision deteriorating.

Cheers,

A friend at work had it done about 7 years ago and he said the one thing that you don't get told about is the smell when lasing eye tissue. He said he'll never forget it.

My wife had both eyes done with lasik in 1994, however the technology has advanced significantly since then. As she was short sighted her eyes were ideal for the operation.
I am quite long sighted with significant astigmatism thrown in so was not a suitable candidate then. Every few years the technology/software jumps so I expect I will be able to have it eventually.
Around 40, the eye muscles start to weaken and thus glasses start to become a requirement for most people.
My wife is just now needing glasses
Your eye prescription needs to be stable for a few years. If you have contact lenses, you should not wear them for a month prior to the operation.
I suggest you contact your optometrist to get a recommended opthomologist to perform lasik.
Some are better than others and your optomitrist should have a good idea who has a good reputation.
Another option is lens replacement.

My Mum, who is around 75 had it done a few years ago. She used to wear thick bi-focal glasses, but now only needs cheap reading glasses from the chemist.

I'm the biggest eye-laser surgery fan!

I wore glasses from aged 4 years. Had -6.5 and -7.5...so very short sighted, plus astigmatism. Had mine done in Brisbane in 1996 (then aged 45 years), by Dr Kevin Vandeleur (2nd generation Ophthalmologist). What a brilliant thing to have done...wish I hadn't waited for so long. He was superb! Can't thank him enough. Within 8 hours of the 7 min surgery, I was watching television with perfect vision. They make you hang around for an hour after surgery before letting you go home. Just how good is that!

It has made such an enormous difference to my life. I can now:
  • Read number plates on cars.
  • Read the yellow pages without glasses.
  • Shave my legs in the shower (without cutting myself).
  • Cut my toe nails without damaging my toes.
  • Scuba dive...yep...that IS awesome!
  • Paint my toe nails without getting it all over my toes.
  • Read a book without specs.
  • Get out of bed in the morning without having to find my glasses first.
  • Walk in and out of air conditioned buildings without fogging up.
  • Wear wrap around sunnies....so cool.
Gosh...the list is endless.:D

I've had it done too and it's great.

Make sure to be aware of what Monovision can do for you before you decide on what level of correction you want. Google will explain it much better than I can, but the basic idea is having your dominant eye corrected to 0 and your non-dominant eye corrected to -1. This will delay the requirement for reading glasses for a few years. Many clinics don't even make patients aware of this option.

Right now I'm 0 in my dominant eye and my non-dominant eye is untreated at -2.0. I'm still deciding on full correction, -1.0 correction or just leaving it. It shouldn't cost anything like $7k, www.eyelaser.com.au is $2k per eye and the service I received was amazing (it's the pre counseling and post care that these places differ - I had 2 week, 1 month and 3 month checkups and have spoken to my doctor many times about the various options for my second eye in length many times).

Hint - just like accountants, lawyers and mortgage brokers, it's the ones who don't have to advertise on the papers, radio and TV that are the ones you want. Educate yourself on the latest lasers and go for the clinic with the latest technology. Also check which ones have pending lawsuits...

i had it done in 1999 - fantastic.

no more trying to make out the blurs when swimming at the beach. no more glasses slipping off the nose when doing a workout. no more fogging up when opening the oven door. no more painful ears when trying to lie on your side and read in bed.

apparently most people start to need glasses again in the 40's because of the muscles around the eyes getting lazy and not focusing properly ... whereas the lasik is because the shape of the acutal cornea is not correct and causing vision problems.

i would thoroughly recommended having it done ... although was only around $3000 when i did so.

however, i believe if you spend more than a certain amount on medical expenses (and this used to be considered a medical expense) you can claim the excess back on your tax. used to be if you spent over $1000 - but this base amount has probably gone up over the last 9 years. wouldn't hurt to check.

Yes, my older sister had the eye laser surgery (Mellllbuuuurrrne), as a gift to herself for her 40th birthday.

Her eyesight problem was shortsighted and she thinks the results are fantastic, had one eye done (her reasoning was if they botch it she would survive ok with other :) )

Has since gone and had the other eye done, so she is glassless, I think she was that happy she actually got legless over being glassless.

I hear her reccommending others to check it out for themselves...she is very happy with her regained eyesight.

My uncle was a jeweller. Had laser surgery. Results so bad he had to sell his business. Suffers constant pain.

Fix-ups did not help the situation.
Almost enough people to pursue a civil suit.

Do your DD. Eyes are so precious.

Our obsession, for various reasons I am not a candidate for laser surgery but if I were I'd do exactly as your sister did and get each eye done separately.

Too chicken to try it, myself, though friends have done it and had good results.

Sure wearing glasses / contacts is a bother sometimes, but do I really want to take even a small chance with something as important as my eyesight?
Alex

Too chicken to try it, myself, though friends have done it and had good results.

Sure wearing glasses / contacts is a bother sometimes, but do I really want to take even a small chance with something as important as my eyesight?
Alex

I'm a bit like this too. Plus I have heard that you have to be awake when it is done. I don't think I could sit still while they were doing that to my eyes.

I'm with skater and alex on this one! Waaaay too chicken!!! Am supposed to wear my glasses all the time, but only wear them when driving or when I absolutely need them - my 'theory' (FWIW) is to give my eyes a bit of a 'workout' and encourage them not to be lazy. Whatever the reason, my sight has improved gradually over the past 10 years or so. So keep those lasers well away from this little black duck!

Cheers
LynnH

It's worth pointing out though that people also have problems with contact lenses.

When I was investigating monthly disposable 24hr lenses (ie. you wear them even while sleeping), my optometrist mentioned that there were a few cases in Australia of people using them and getting infections that left them with permanently affected eye sight. According to him, daily disposables have the lowest rate of problems, and that's what I use now (also the most expensive option).

And some people simply can't wear contacts very well. I'm lucky in that my eye shape is almost perfect for them, but apparently for many people theirs is not.

He also mentioned a few cases with Lasik of people's corneal flaps getting pulled right off and lost during the procedure, but again the incidence is very low.

Pretty much everything carries some risk I guess. Every time I've had some minor medical procedure done that's involved any sort of anaesthetic I've had to sign a form acknowledging that it could potentially kill me, despite the fact that the procedure is classified as "very safe".

Cheers,
GP

I'm a bit like this too. Plus I have heard that you have to be awake when it is done. I don't think I could sit still while they were doing that to my eyes.

well - they gave me valium to chill me out, but it's more a case of just focusing and then letting your brain wander off so you're not thinking about what is happening.

as for the risks - i guess it's the same as every dealing. go to a reputable, respect and recommended surgeon even if it does cost more.

p.s. i couldn't wear contacts.

! Am supposed to wear my glasses all the time, but only wear them when driving or when I absolutely need them - my 'theory' (FWIW) is to give my eyes a bit of a 'workout' and encourage them not to be lazy.

Same here. I have been wearing glasses since around 20yrs of age. At one stage I got contacts as I was sick & tired of carrying glasses everywhere. They were great, however I noticed that my eyesight had deteriorated badly during the time I was wearing them, so threw them away & just wore my glasses when needed, which is usually only when driving (or judging). My eyes are not as strong as they used to be, but I am convinced that they are much healthier for NOT wearing the glasses or contacts.

I had it done about 7 years ago and ran around telling people it's the best thing i have ever done. And i still do.

My first run along bondi when it was all clear was one of the best days of my life.

Someone mentioned the smell during the operation...yep u wont forget though.

Regards

Alex

A very good point Alexlee.
However what is the chance of being seriously hurt on public transport and losing your sight from lasik.
I don't know ................and I am not encouraging you to have eye surgery , but perhaps base your fear of loss of sight on reality and not on supposition.
I hope that didn't come across harshly
Lasik does go wrong ,and,like all operations they need to be taken very seriously.

Fear of the unknown may be what you are referring to.
I just know from my wifes experience it almost revolutionised her life.

Back