Connecting multiple water tanks together?

Hi all,

I've already added some value to our PPOR by installing a water tank when we built. We have 1 x 6000L tank under our deck. There are two downpipes from the roof that drain into the tank. The tank is hooked up a Rainbank pump and connected to our outside tap and two toilets.

We could fit up to 3 *more* water tanks under the deck, but I'm struggling to understand how they would hook up to the existing tank.

Has anybody achieved this aim? Any ideas?

Cheers!

-- MJ.

I have two interconnected tanks. They are on different sides of the house, but both tanks are within an inch of being the same water outlet levels.
Poly connects both tanks together and then a T piece goes between the two tanks to the pressure pump. From there water can service the whole house and garden. That is of course if it rains enough to actually put water into the tanks in the first place. Both my tanks have been empty for months and I'm using town water. Send her down Huey! :)

Thanks for the reply Brenda!

I like the idea of having both tanks connected via a 'T' piece to the pump.

The only issue I can see from our Rainbank is that it has a probe near the bottom of the tank, so if the tank is running low, it automatically switches to mains water. If both tanks were connected to the pump, and one tank was low, the Rainbank will use town water, even if tank #2 has more water in it...

-- MJ.

The only issue I can see from our Rainbank is that it has a probe near the bottom of the tank, so if the tank is running low, it automatically switches to mains water. If both tanks were connected to the pump, and one tank was low, the Rainbank will use town water, even if tank #2 has more water in it...

-- MJ.

Oh, I forgot to mention the guttering runs right around the house so hypothetically, each tank should catch equal amounts of water. They should both be at the same levels or close to it, and because both tanks are sitting on close to the same level bases, water equally runs from both tanks.

I do have shut off taps on each tank if I wanted to use just one tank or the other. To switch to town water, I have to turn off the pressure pump and the tank taps, then turn a lever above the pressure pump to deny water any more access to the house. Then there is another lever to turn to allow the town water access to the house.

I have this system so that town water doesn't accidentally find its way into my water tanks and mix with any fresh water. Of course it makes it really interesting if you run out of tank water while you are in the shower naked. :eek:

Usually though, the pressure pump tends to give subtle hints by running longer when tanks are low. I also either tap the tanks to hear what levels they are at, and when I climb up to clean the strainers I look in to see if the water is nice and clean for drinking. :)

-- MJ.

if both tanks are connected with a common pvc pipe then the water level will be equal in both tanks ,then the pump will only activate when the level in both tanks are low

if both tanks are connected with a common pvc pipe then the water level will be equal in both tanks ,then the pump will only activate when the level in both tanks are low

Yeah, just hook em up. As long as the overflows are the same level, they will all just keep at the same water level, and empty at the same rate. I've got 5 times 22000 tanks all hooked up, and just pump out of the one.

See ya's.

Hmm, that's unusual, I normally shower fully clothed :D.

What I was getting at cava, is if you run out of water, not only is your shower over but you have to get your butt downstairs pronto to turn off the pressure pump before it burns out and costs dollars. Depends on how fast you can dress I guess. If it means costing me money, I can be a very fast dresser. :)

I did not look for one, but I saw in one of the advertising pamphlets: mercury tilt switch.

Switch looked like a elongated bubble, when it tilted, mercury inside flows away from electrical contact which springs back breaking circuit and any electrical device connected to it stops.

There are floating type industrial limit switches to turn pump on an off, usually used to get rid of water.
Off when water reaches lower level, on when enough water accumulated to start pumping.

Suppose you can ask sparky, they will definitely have something to offer.

Back