How to remove scratches from mirror

Hi, after 'signing off' on my rental saying all was well, I noticed that the {almost new} vanity mirror has a lot of scratches on it. {I had thought that the mirror was just dirty}. Does anyone know a way to get rid of the scratches economically? Would Brasso do it? Thanks

I have never tried it, but have been told that light scratches can be removed using toothpaste because it is slightly abrasive. Won't hurt to give it a try.

Wylie.

Hi Wy-man, its the glass side. It looks as though the've tried to clean it using a scourer!
Since Brasso is slightly ebrasive, I thought that might work but dont want to make it worse.

Hi Sootygirl,

Is it an unusal shape? It might be cheaper than you think to replace it. The bonus would be that the new mirror will really add to the looks of the bathroom (strange as it seems....)

Cheers,

The Y-man

ps. oops, just reread first post - it's near new..... probably won't be wanting to replace it so soon....

Last edited:
Some lateral thinking...

Could you turn the mirror upside down? The dirty bit might then be at the top, and less noticeable.

it is possible .....

"Depending on the depth of the scratch start with 1200 wet and dry carborundum paper and rub with a little water until scratches are removed. Then use finer paper, e.g. 4000 followed by 3µm diamond paste or powder. Put the paste/ powder on fine, tightly woven cloth and rub until the glass/ metal becomes clear. If using powder moisten the cloth with water. Finish off with 1µm diamond paste/ powder. Always rinse when changing the medium. Smaller scratches can be polished with 6, 3, and 1µm diamond paste/ powder."

but it takes forever ..... buy a new mirror or don't worry about it

rossv

Hi Sootygirl

I have in mind that BonAmi may work - it's slogan used to be 'Hasn't scratched yet' with a logo of a chicken just hatched from the shell.

Bicarbonate of Soda could also be tried - I guess the scratches are from someone wiping the steam off the mirror with a rough towel.

There are also glass polishing companies which can remove scratches from windscreens.

If the mirror is set into the vanity cabinet check the back of the door for screws or other fasteners - if all else fails remove the mirror and replace with another cut to size. Any mirror supplier could cut to size for you - remove the door and take it with you to the shop.

There's always something we overlook with these bond condition reports. At least, scratched mirrors is something you will always check for in future.

Regards

Kristine

Back