"The Interview" - Somersoft Style

Would you like to see "The Interview" - Somersoft Style?

• Yes, I think it would be a useful addition to the forum

Votes: 91 95.8%
  • No, don't do it. Btw. Pitt St, your ideas suck.

Votes: 4 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi

It's no secret that I have been critical of (among others) the information contained in API (see
thread) while at the same time stating my opinion that this place is the best resource in Australia for residential property investors.

I expect that many of you read API and that you're familiar with a feature they have recently introduced called "The Interview" (they've interviewed Michael Matusik and Bernard Salt among others).

I'm wondering what support there is for something similiar (but better, of course) here.

It would be a series of interviews with high profile forumites. They'd be done maybe once a month or so (maybe every fortnight, I don't know).

To make it easier for the interviewee, I envisage that the questions would be pretty standard.

And interviewees would, of course, be free to answer each question in as much or as little detail as they care to provide.

Example questions could be:

How did you get involved in property?

What is your property investment philosophy (CF, CG, renos, houses, flats, buy and hold, develop, flip, wrap, etc)?

What is your IP / property story so far?

Do you invest in other asset classes (shares, commodities, businesses, managed funds, cash, forex, etc)?

What did you think of the last boom?

Where do you see the market at the moment?

Your thoughts on the next 12 months and the coming cycle?

If a budding property investor asked "what are the top 5 things I should do", you would say?

And if that same budding investor asked "what 5 things should I avoid", you would say?

Is that the sort of thing that would be a useful resource to have?

Or just more of the same to look at?

Mark

Mark,

I reckon it would be awesome. My favourite SIG night thus far was the Somersoft forumites panel interview. I learnt so much more from that one SIG than the rest of them combined.

In that vein, I reckon your suggestion would provide a wealth of knowledge for fellow forumites. Maybe start a thread with those form questions but then open it up to Q&A for the month on the particular forumite so others can pose their specific questions.

Just my thoughts,
Michael.

I reckon it would be great.

But besides interviewing the more successful members we should also include interviews with folks who have just bought their first or second IP. These would also be useful for others trying to take that first step. It might be a bit intimidating to read of people who's experiences are years from where they are now.

Good idea Mark,

oc1 said:
No surprise that all votes are YES.
While I agree it's a good idea, it looks as if Mark writes survey questions for political parties. That "No" question is definitely written to achieve a certain result ;)

Great idea!! Personally, I think that would be better than API. I stopped my subscription some time ago as the quality of it is just not that great at the moment. Somersoft rocks!

I also agree that it would be inspirational. I sometimes read API and feel we are trailing behind because of the fantastic success stories, so some more realistic stories would be great.

Wylie

what about setting up a fixed template, as per Pitt St questions or similar.

set aside a new forum section.

complete your own details/answers and lodge it there.

might save someone having to be the 'interviewer' and arranging it all. ???

Pitt St said:
Is that the sort of thing that would be a useful resource to have?
PittSt.
All i can say is yes,it will work in a Forum like this very few sites
would have the Knowledge and experience that site Freely
contains........
good luck willair.......

Last edited:
skater said:
Great idea!! Personally, I think that would be better than API. I stopped my subscription some time ago as the quality of it is just not that great at the moment. Somersoft rocks!

I bought the July issue today. It reminded me why I haven't purchased any since last year!

Oscar

hi all
what if you think the answer to the poll no is right but the idea is a good one how do you vote.
I do think that the idea is a good one and it will give an insight into some investors that would be very interesting and look forward to it.
I do think that you need a farely open question base so you get an idea of not only what and why people have invested in that class of investment but there mind set behind it and how they see it moving them forward and how it can be used by others.
its great to have a view of your own ideas and people can learn from those ideas so its thumbs up for me
as for pitt st and the others and if their ideas suck( the posted word not mine) thats a different issue.
I think interview of the week and people can post questions on the answers they give would be good if they are too close to the bone on their projects they can decline if they wish.

We enjoy the stories more than anything else in API, so a big YES here :D

I think this type of idea has been bandied around somersoft for a while, but never got off the ground hasn't it?

Hi all,

Looks like someone beat me to be the Sm**t A***. :p

So I will just have to go along a think it is a great idea.

Perhaps we should start a list of not only the questions to be asked, but also of whom should be asked and in what order.

There are probably 30-40 really good stories tied up in the experiences here, perhaps more. At one a month it will take 3-4 years to go through them all!!:eek: Can we wait that long?? We could then rinse and repeat.:p

Perhaps we can work out a list of 12-20 names (hopefully they all agree), then run a poll with a max of 3-4 ticks per voter. then count all the ticks after a week or so and that gives us the order that people would want the interviews to be.

Maybe someone else has a better idea of how this can be set up??

bye

Back