If You Are Interested In A Country Investment

Hi We Are New To Somersoft, It Is A Great Site With Lots Of Info
If Anyone Is Intersted In Knowing More About Kalgoorlie, We Work For A Long Established Firm Here In The Goldfields, We Are Also Investors! If Anyone Would Like A Stck List Of Investment Properties We Would Be Happy To Send One Through. We Are Looking Forward To To Learning From And Hopefuly Contributing To This Site

Hi robsue, welcome to the forum.

How about starting with a wrap-up of the local market in Kalgoorlie - what is the current situation ? How well are properties selling ? What type of prices are they fetching ? What yields are achieved ?

Kal

robsue

Welcome...welcome...

I'd love to here more about Kal..
Any good street and areas to be, list of investment props, good reliable agents, property managers...
Prices, Rental info, vacancy info...
also Kal surroundings... boulder, coolgardie..

Jeez.. I dont ask for much.. but local knowledge is such a great thing to have... look forwrad to hearing from you... feel free to drop me a line...

[email protected]

kelvinh said:
I'd love to here more about Kal..
Any good street and areas to be, list of investment props, good reliable agents, property managers...
Prices, Rental info, vacancy info...
also Kal surroundings... boulder, coolgardie..

RobSue
Would you be able to post your info here because I would love to know what you have to say about Kal. I've been looking at it for a bit and have earmarked it for future investigation - when I get the funds.

I'm more interested in what locals consider the nice areas (or the areas to avoid). Does it really matter if you have a brothel in the same street as you? I hear people are pretty blaze when it comes to that. :rolleyes: Although of course I would like to avoid those areas....

Any info you could provide would be useful.

Thanks in advance
Ecogirl :)

Ecogirl said:

>I'm more interested in what locals consider the nice areas (or the areas to avoid).

I'm not a local but have visited most suburbs and report the following:

AREAS TO AVOID

Adeline/Golden Grove

POORER AREAS

Older parts of Boulder
Top end of Hannan St
South Kalgoorlie

'GOOD' AREAS

Fairways
Kalgoorlie CBD
Somerville
Piccadilly

'PRESTIGE' AREAS

O'Connor
Hannans
Lamington

>Does it really matter if you have a brothel in the same street as you?

This issue is vastly overblown.

These establishments operate along a short section of Hay St which is north west of the CBD.

In both 2003 and 2004 only three appeared to be open. Another building looked like one but was surrounded by a fence and appeared unused for its intended purpose. A fifth (located next to the YHA) may have been operating, but I didn't enquire further (my due diligence is not THAT good!)

Nocturnal observations revealed that there is remarkably little traffic in Hay St and all you might get is an occasional hoon shouting from his ute on Saturday night. However the ladies themselves seemed more forward in 2004 than 2003, even sometimes standing outside (rather than sitting inside) their doorways and seeking to engage passing pedestrians in conversation.

>Although of course I would like to avoid those areas....

You will. The area is mostly light industrial with some housing.

Most worrying to me would be vacant blocks littered with milk crates, used wine casks and broken glass. Next to Woolworths is a prime example, but similar sights can be seen in other areas (eg top part of Hannan St).

Indeed if you were to take soil samples from various suburban nature strips and measure the broken glass proportion, this would probably give you a reasonable idea as to the desirability of the area.

Indicators of increasing prosperity include approvals fo retail expansion, higher occupancy of backpacker's, ease that the visitors get jobs, better & cheaper (meal) offerings at pubs and fewer itinerant beggars (though the latter might have been due to the author's greater familiarity with the area in 2004).

You will see many 1br f/f places on the market. I simply cannot get enthusiastic about these, especially if they're in complexes. I currently regard them as risky and overpriced compared to larger, more rentable, better located (but slightly older) 2 or 3 br properties.

Regards, Peter

Hi all,

RobSue: In saying that, you sound like a real estate agent. I'm not accusing you of anything of course, but are you one?

Spiderman: That was a great post. Good info. :)

Also, I'd like to point out that the LMI companies dont have Kalgoorlie on their lists. Of course, this is fine for most but may not be for some. Just dont go there expecting to get a loan for more than 80%.

-Kind regards

Dave

Although of course I would like to avoid those areas....

You will. The area is mostly light industrial with some housing.
That's interesting.

So there's a mix of light industrial and red light industrial?

geoffw said:
That's interesting.

So there's a mix of light industrial and red light industrial?

geoffw
I read recently that half the population doesn't agree with the business conducted in red light districts (and no, the journalist didn't quote a source for this statistic).

Does it follow that light industrial areas are usually populated by the other half of the population? And did the town planners get it right locating red light businesses there. :D :D

More importantly, why red lights? Why not some other colour?

Lplate

Lplate said:
More importantly, why red lights? Why not some other colour?
To my knowledge it originated in Holland.

Mistresses of the night used to stand in windows lit by a red light.

In fact they still did when I was last in Amsterdam & stayed at a hostel in the red light district...though a number of the mistresses were actually masters on closer observation ;)

Though Yahoo has a more detailed description...http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20020830.html

Cheers,

Aceyducey

That Yahoo reference went waaaaaaaaaay before the Amsterdam district.

Did you notice if there was a red light outside your own room?

Hi,

Aceyducey said:
though a number of the mistresses were actually masters on closer observation ;)

I'm glad you went in for the observation. Did you end up going ahead with their services? ;p

-Regards

Dave

dtraeger2k said:
Hi,

I'm glad you went in for the observation. Did you end up going ahead with their services? ;p

-Regards

Dave
Dave
Shame, Shame, Shame.
You should be applauding Aceyducey for performing his due diligence! Mind you, I would expect nothing less of a senior forumite. :cool:

Had he gone ahead with the contract without the construction inspection he could also have found there was no warranty and no effective recourse either. He would have been diddled (so to speak). :eek:

This is more than a forum, it is a way of life! :D
Lplate

Lplate said:
Had he gone ahead with the contract without the construction inspection he could also have found there was no warranty and no effective recourse either. He would have been diddled (so to speak). :eek:
hmmmm - a pest inspection would possible be more relevant.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hey guys,

This was meant to be about country properties, especially Kal.

Dont let it get too far out of hand :p

-Regards

Dave

PS 700th post!

Thanks guys for the enlightened version of the oldest profession in the world....and the property related eyes on the ground info - what a great forum :D

Ecogirl

Back