Need to change this bathtub?

My PM is getting people through to the property today. She said the below is an issue.

Tub.jpg

What's the best solution? Rip the tub and replace? :(

Any idea how much it cost approx. for either option? I will ask the PM to obtaine quote

I assume respray will only last in a short time?

A respray is long lasting & a cost effective way compared to a complete bath replacement which usually entails tile/plumbing work as well.

Ask your PM to organise a few quotes.

Any idea how much it cost approx. for either option? I will ask the PM to obtaine quote

I assume respray will only last in a short time?

We've used Tub 'n' Tile Paint before. Follow the instructions, it's a 2 part epoxy, and comes up looking quite good. I'm not sure how long it lasts for though, as it was for a place we were selling.

You could respray it or use White Knight's tub & tile (NOT White Knight Tile Paint) which can last for many years. HOWEVER, the photos looks to show a rusted drain area and my suspicions are you could go to that expense and end up with a leaking tub. In my opinion I'd replace it.

Thank you, will give PM a call and obtain quote for both options I guess.

Darn it, valuer just came today to revalue -_-

If you're going to respray, I would definitely recommend a professional job. Cost is around $800.

If you were going to sell the property immediately, a DIY Tub and Tile job might suffice but it's not a finish I would want to rely on for an extended period (some people rave about it but I have also seen it go bad after a short period of time when not applied correctly).

If wall paneling is damaged, replace it. However, if it's just the trims, you could just clean up the paneling and replace the trim with a PVC type.

Everything you do of course will depend on the property, the tenant, location etc. The problem with replacing 'just' the bath is that there could potentially be a knock on effect of having to replace the flooring (depending what finish is on the side of the bath/floor etc) and goodness knows what else.

The lowest risk way (in terms of costs) to tackle this is to respray just the bath and replace the trims.

However, if the rest of the property is in fairly nice condition then a newly sprayed bath and new trims isn't going to make much difference to how it's perceived by tenants - in which case you'd be better to spend the extra.

Hope that hasn't confused you too much!

Good luck.

If you're going to respray, I would definitely recommend a professional job. Cost is around $800.

If you were going to sell the property immediately, a DIY Tub and Tile job might suffice but it's not a finish I would want to rely on for an extended period (some people rave about it but I have also seen it go bad after a short period of time when not applied correctly).

If wall paneling is damaged, replace it. However, if it's just the trims, you could just clean up the paneling and replace the trim with a PVC type.

Everything you do of course will depend on the property, the tenant, location etc. The problem with replacing 'just' the bath is that there could potentially be a knock on effect of having to replace the flooring (depending what finish is on the side of the bath/floor etc) and goodness knows what else.

The lowest risk way (in terms of costs) to tackle this is to respray just the bath and replace the trims.

However, if the rest of the property is in fairly nice condition then a newly sprayed bath and new trims isn't going to make much difference to how it's perceived by tenants - in which case you'd be better to spend the extra.

Hope that hasn't confused you too much!

Good luck.

Thanks Jane!

It's in Logan Central - definetely not up market.

From memory the tiles is that very small square tiles, the side is aquapanel (pic of bathroom below).

The rest of the property is fairly good - repainted 6 months ago with new kitchen and polished board

image6-20140916-075143610.jpg

tile.png

I'm no pro DIY so maybe I didn't sand and prep well enough prior to applying tub & tile but mine didn't last very long. It starting cracking and peeling at the drain hole. Is there a way to unscrew the drain hole easily and then paint it with tub and tile cause that might be the solution.

Would be interested to know if anyone has any good recommendation for tub resprayers in Perth.

You could respray it or use White Knight's tub & tile (NOT White Knight Tile Paint) which can last for many years. HOWEVER, the photos looks to show a rusted drain area and my suspicions are you could go to that expense and end up with a leaking tub. In my opinion I'd replace it.

Agree with White Knight Home Care Tub 'n' Tile, and Bunnings sell it, if to respray.
I am unsure on the size of the bath but you can also purchase at Bunnings, prices are around $99 for 1500mm (L) or $119 for 1675mm (L). Just make sure you have standard sizes and the prices may have changed!
The issue there will be how much will the plumber cost, to replace, and as mentioned you will never know what's under until you open it up, right?
Good luck though!

Thanks SSers

Plumbler has inspected and agreed that respray is the best way forward.

First quote from handyman is $500 including material.
Obtaining another quote.

In the meantime, anyone know a good professional bathroom resurface service around Logan Central area? Jen @ Hotspace?

Back