First time renovator! Progress images

Hi All,

For those interested I thought I'd share some images and details of my first attempt at renovating. Feel free to shoot me some constructive criticism wherever necessary! :D Bought the house initially as an IP but is currently considered my PPOR so I was able to claim the FHO stamp duty reduction. Few details on the home;

Built: 1981
Size: 855sqm block
Type: Brick Veneer - 3 Bed, 2 Bath, 1-2 car carport.
Status when purchased: Tenanted for 12 years to same tenants - privately managed by lazy owner..
Condition: Horrible. (without going into detail..)
Purchase Price: $525,000

Plans: Extensively renovate over 6-8 month period to create modernized/liveable home as well as keeping it rental friendly for future IP. Set on decent sized block with plans to subdivide and build townhouse on rear later on. Will be having the home revalued later in the year. Hoping to push to value to aorund the $620-$640k mark - hopefully!

Budget: Approx. $40k (majority of works I'm planning to undertake myself). This will include kitchen, both bathrooms, paint throughout, sand/polish boards, roof restoration, electrical upgrades (old man is a sparky :cool:), build a deck out back etc. etc.

Couple of progress shots below! Will upload a few other images as I go.

Bed 1 - Before

Extensive mould had to be removed. Walls were filthy..
IMG_2497.jpg
IMG_2532.jpg

Bed 1 - After

Walls and windows patched, painted. New architraves fitted etc.
IMG_3876.JPG

Bed 2 - Before
IMG_2533.jpg

Bed 2 - After

Amazing what a coat of paint does!
IMG_3733.JPG

Last edited:
Lounge - Before

Arch to be removed and plastered reveal to be made in wall to open it up which still maintaining room division.

IMG_2537.jpg

Lounge - In progress
IMG_3819.jpg

Kitchen - Before
IMG_2516.jpg

Kitchen - In progress
IMG_3963.jpg

Main Bathroom - Before
IMG_2550.jpg

Main Bathroom - In progress

IMG_3795.jpg

That will do for now.. Will upload a few images once completed and post some rough figures for those interested. Cheers

Looks great. I love before/after photos.

I would love to hear costs. It is good to check what different jobs should cost to build up the knowledge base and be able to do a quick guesstimate when judging cost vs return calculations.

Looking forward to more photos.

Looks great! What colour have you used on your walls?

I'm about to start something very similar, but lower budget and shorter time frame.

Love to see more photos as you progress.

Thanks Guys, pretty happy with the progress so far. Just don't look too closely! :eek:

Wall colour is Haymes 'Spatial'. Works really well with the semi-gloss enamel architraves/skirts and light colour boards IMO.

Suburb is Scoresby. After looking at comparable sales, I think figures are fairly achievable. My crystal ball tells me there is steady growth to come in the suburb.. Only downside is the overall size of home is reasonably small (block is great though at 855sqm - image attached). Lots of work ahead though!

Will keep the updates coming here and there!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Looks great!

One questions, looks like you have removed or filled in the vents in the walls. Does this cause any problems? Do you need to do anything to improve airflow?

For some reason I feel like I've just asked a stupid question but I'm curious and don't know!

Looks great!

One questions, looks like you have removed or filled in the vents in the walls. Does this cause any problems? Do you need to do anything to improve airflow?

For some reason I feel like I've just asked a stupid question but I'm curious and don't know!

Haha not a stupid question. I thought the same although accordingly to my plasterer mate there is no need for them therefore just plastered strait over them. I heard they used to be a requirement to allow ventilation from possible heater fumes (correct me if I am wrong). Anyway, they look ugly and make the home feel dated.

Looks great dan. What paint did you use to paint the windows. When you uploaded your pics did you have to do it one by one or can you group upload. I can't work it out.

Looks great dan. What paint did you use to paint the windows. When you uploaded your pics did you have to do it one by one or can you group upload. I can't work it out.

Will get back to you Brian re: paint type. Undercoat was some sort of 3 in 1 oil based. Top coat is a Wattyl semi gloss enamel. Uploaded attachments individually.

Will be putting extra vents into brick work as there are currently only small slits in bricks as ventilation rather than actual vents. This should be more than enough ventilation.

So extra work is needed then. I was thinking mold might be an increased risk.

All good to know :)

Hi Dan89
Just a quick question. If you decide to have someone else to do everything for you, how much would it cost?

Did you have to restump at all?
Did you organise an inspection before you purchased?

Hi Steve, re-stump wasn't required as all stumps are concrete. I had a guy come out and level a few spots by jacking and packing but I wasn't out to make things perfect as it would have cost thousands.

Back