The Next Project Reno

http://www.drakehomes.com.au/wpbdm-directory/1977kang-large-colonial-renovator/

5 Bedrooms
2 Offices
2 Lounge rooms
Kitchen Dinning
Kitchenette
2 Bathrooms

Moving the above house onto a block I have in Salisbury QLD.

$16k for the house, $33k to move, we will stump ourselves for around $7k, reno for $10k-$20k DIY.

As you can see lots of work to do. Should hopefully have the house on the block ready to start the work in approx. 2-3 months.

Going to open up the kitchen, reopen the lounge room. Polish up the floors, new kitchen, reno bathrooms, etc... etc... etc... It's going to be a big reno.

Will be aiming to make it look nice and try adding back some character features that have been gutted from the house.

Hopefully it will add some value to the block, currently just has a small 2 bed cottage on it, which we will be keeping as a granny flat. Luckily the block is big enough to fit both houses on it.

Anyway it's going to be an interesting one, but should come up good :)

Hahaha :)

My day job is 4 days a week. And 5 of my days off per fortnight are weekdays, plus a get mornings before work because I start from lunchtime onwards.

But then I've started a small business which takes up a morning here or there because I was just having too much free time! :)

Plus my wife helps me a lot with the renos, she doesn't have a day job, just property manager/reno'er. She gets in there and does a fair bit, and not just painting, she gets in there with nail guns and lays flooring, etc... She won't use a circular saw though :p

But yeah kind of excited about this one. Got lots of ideas. The excitement should last for at least a month I think then I'll start complaining :p

http://www.drakehomes.com.au/wpbdm-directory/1977kang-large-colonial-renovator/

5 Bedrooms
2 Offices
2 Lounge rooms
Kitchen Dinning
Kitchenette
2 Bathrooms

Moving the above house onto a block I have in Salisbury QLD.

$16k for the house, $33k to move, we will stump ourselves for around $7k, reno for $10k-$20k DIY.

As you can see lots of work to do. Should hopefully have the house on the block ready to start the work in approx. 2-3 months.

Going to open up the kitchen, reopen the lounge room. Polish up the floors, new kitchen, reno bathrooms, etc... etc... etc... It's going to be a big reno.

Will be aiming to make it look nice and try adding back some character features that have been gutted from the house.

Hopefully it will add some value to the block, currently just has a small 2 bed cottage on it, which we will be keeping as a granny flat. Luckily the block is big enough to fit both houses on it.

Anyway it's going to be an interesting one, but should come up good :)

All of this for $10-$20k?? Hmmm.. Hope there's a buffer in there!

quick question,

so its $48k for the houseplus shipping,

are there any costs such as connecting plumbing, electricals to the property,
and what about council costs?

Just made a random enquiry for a removable house and got told $150k!!!!!

Last edited:
quick question,

so its $48k for the houseplus shipping,

are there any costs such as connecting plumbing, electricals to the property,
and what about council costs?

Just made a random enquiry for a removable house and got told $150k!!!!!

Originally the house was advertised for $100 000 not including council fees, electrical or plumbing reconnection.

We got the house portion down from $50 000 to $16 000 because they just wanted to get rid of it. Then the stumping portion for $18 000 we got down to $6-$7k by doing it ourselves. The transit of the house was $33 000 and that's stayed the same.

The reconnection of the plumbing I'm not too sure how much that will cost. Maybe $3000. Council fees and engineering fees and certifier fees let's allow $10k for that.

With removal houses you pay more if they've had to store the house in one of their yards, you pay more if you get them to do the stumping, you pay more if they are in no rush to get rid of the house, you pay more if the house requires less renovation, etc...

Sometimes a $150 000 removal house will be worthwhile, but it can get to the point where it's just easier and pretty much the same price to build new.

Cool project Tim, I spoke to local city council here this morning as looking to do the same and to ascertain what sort of requirements they have. No deposit needed which is a good thing.

Reside in Victoria so just looking at blocks in areas I've had my eyes on to see if anything jumps out at me. Keep us in the loop how it all goes.

It's all going ahead next week, half the house gets shifted Tuesday night and half the house gets shifted Thursday night. Then it's time to reno reno reno. Yaaay. :D

Nice big house! How many loads? Just one cut through?

Will you open up the original front verandah?

And can i put a request in for some different cornice, if your re doing the ceiling. We're in a similar vintage place that had the ceilings re done with standard cornice. some of the if the shelf stuff can really add to is look. Not expecting matching vintage cornice or ceiling roses to keep it under budget.
I am fan of cornice, it can lift a place without being an in your face change

It's all going ahead next week, half the house gets shifted Tuesday night and half the house gets shifted Thursday night. Then it's time to reno reno reno. Yaaay. :D
Awesome! This is a great project. Massive house though, so lots of work. It is a very nice house so it should come up a treat.

Could I ask a favour that you take some photos of immediately after the move? I have been checking out some transportable houses for my Melbourne property and was wondering how much damage is done due to cutting the house and moving it.

Red line in the attached pic is where the cut is going to be made.

So a small piece and a massive piece.

9.4m wide for the large piece. Council ummm'ed and ahhh'ed about it but eventually said okay.

Will take lots and lots of pics. Should be pretty interesting seeing them chuck the house on the back of a truck.

It's a big bit of house.

I'm probably going to be a bit lazy with this one to be honest. I really probably should do the cornice and skirting and mouldings... but I'm not going to :p

With that said though there is a lot that I will be doing to try and put some character back into the old lady.

But you'll all just have to wait and see :)

--Oh by the way ceiling height is 3.5m inside. Bloody crazy.

Attachments

• house floorplan cut.jpg
    house floorplan cut.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 151
I understand you have an owner-builder's licence. I thought you could only use those on your PPOR, and only once every 6 years or something. Have things changed, or are you using a builder on this one?

I met the owner of the place we're in pulled of the original skirts and moulding, sheeted over the original then put back the original mouldings. They are beat up and have dings etc but does the job and looks orig

I understand you have an owner-builder's licence. I thought you could only use those on your PPOR, and only once every 6 years or something. Have things changed, or are you using a builder on this one?

No owner builder needed in this instance due to it being a removal house

Do you need owner builder for a reno?? Bugger that. Are you a chippy Tim? Easy work and nothing structural to be done. I say go for it
Is it value based for punters?

Do you need owner builder for a reno?? Bugger that. Are you a chippy Tim? Easy work and nothing structural to be done. I say go for it
Is it value based for punters?
How do you get a certificate of occupancy at the end? My certifier's always required a copy of the building warranty insurance, which only a builder can get...

In Queensland, my reading is that a licence is required whenever works are being done by more than 1 subbie, or where the value of the work done personally (retail value) is more than $11,000. I imagine both apply in this instance.

Back