NSW before and after

Just quick update on Rutherford property refresh. Below for final before and after, the after photos were taken by photographer so they look extra good :)

PhotoGrid_1417495100214.jpg

PhotoGrid_1417495053679.jpg

PhotoGrid_1417494793133.jpg

PhotoGrid_1417494699569.jpg

PhotoGrid_1417494959768.jpg

Unlike the QLD property I?m hands off and where most things are handled PM, this is the first time I ever coordinate trades from distance without help from the PM (they're only there for trades to pick up key), Not the most efficient and budget friendly process but I learn a lot.

A lot of hiccups here and there. With several unexpected fixes. I totally blow the budget of $5K and without much done on kitchen and bathroom as initially planned.

Initial plan - budgeted for $5K (and yes, I underestimate a lot of things)
  1. including my skill, persistence and my muscle strength)
  2. Paint internal $1K
  3. Bathroom refresh $2K
  4. Flooring ? remove carpet and put cheap laminate floor DIY - $1K
  5. Kitchen refresh - $1K

What I ended up with ~ $8K excluding rubbish removals etc after the tenant left
  1. Paint internal - DIY $750 for 3 days on the weekend plus handyman to finish up as I can't do more travel $650 = $1.25K
  2. Floor - Get a pro to sand and polish, incl carpet removal and replace (unexpected) rotten 2sqm floorboard - $2.7K
  3. Kitchen - paint and replace handles - $350
  4. Bathroom - take off wooden plank on top of the wall, plaster, paint wall and ceiling with antimould - $420
  5. Bathroom fix for failing grout - $200
  6. Gutter fix - replace entire gutter with ACE Durakote plus fascia cover - $2.87K
  7. Curtains - $50
  8. Light bulbs from Aldi - $15
  9. Photographer - $99

Some learning (which are not new for most of you)
  1. Always have contingency budget. When you have old property and ripping things apart for reno, it's very likely you'll get surprises so be ready for it.
  2. Gumtree is not that bad. I always thought that you'll get dodgy people in Gumtree. So far the handyman I contacted from there were a lot more reasonable than ones I get from Service Seeking and Hipages.
  3. Ask for the trades availability early. I made the mistake of not doing this with the floor sander I was going to use, apparently he's available mid-December. I ended up with someone slightly more expensive. That said the work was good.
  4. It's an investment property, not a million dollar house. The work doesn't need to be perfect, they just need to be within your budget, time and with acceptable quality.
  5. Driving is a time killer (4 hours each day for me), and if you need to pay for petrol (which I didn't have to), hiring a trades might ended up about the same cost.

Last edited:
[*]Driving is a time killer (4 hours each day for me), and if you need to pay for petrol (which I didn?t have to), hiring a trades might ended up about the same cost.
[/LIST]

Great work and looking nice for under 10K

I did one early this year and it was a 2.5 hours drive to, so I booked in a IBIS budget hotel for $75 night for few nights. You can start early and long hours...and dont have to worry about driving in fatigue conditions...

Great work and looking nice for under 10K

I did one early this year and it was a 2.5 hours drive to, so I booked in a IBIS budget hotel for $75 night for few nights. You can start early and long hours...and dont have to worry about driving in fatigue conditions...

Thank you :)

Re driving and stay overnight - I'd like to do so, but has a dog at home and can't bear to leave him alone :( All come down to planning - didn' have the time to look for pet friendly accommodations/ book my dog walker

Don't be afraid of tile paint! It's the best thing ever! Painted my whole bathroom about 5 years ago, shower included. Still in perfect condition today. I used White Knight.

Don't be afraid of tile paint! It's the best thing ever! Painted my whole bathroom about 5 years ago, shower included. Still in perfect condition today. I used White Knight.

Did you do it yourself? I have no confidence whether I can do it right :(

If you don't mind me asking,why did you choose rutherford?

Apart from inexperienced? :rolleyes:
I used BA that sourced the property, which happen to be around that area. The Maitland area is sizeable, not as big as Newcastle but not too small that it might be too unstable. Entry price is affordable for what I needed to be,
Price of the property itself was quite good, yield is there, the numbers work.

The avg yearly growth after 1.5 years without much cosmetic work (before this Reno) is about 6-7%, so it wasn't bad.

Seriously impressive for 8k outlay. The DIY paint job is my favourite, the house looks modern and clean. I can't DIY paint, hopeless at it so much admiration for you.

Seriously impressive for 8k outlay. The DIY paint job is my favourite, the house looks modern and clean. I can't DIY paint, hopeless at it so much admiration for you.

Thank you Beanie Girl :eek:
the paint was patchy here and there, but it does the job, still better than before. The trim need to be patched as there are lines after carpet is removed, talking about order of work :rolleyes:
I like doing physical work in the property if they're not that far! Maybe I'd do it myself for future home

Apart from inexperienced? :rolleyes:
I used BA that sourced the property, which happen to be around that area. The Maitland area is sizeable, not as big as Newcastle but not too small that it might be too unstable. Entry price is affordable for what I needed to be,
Price of the property itself was quite good, yield is there, the numbers work.

The avg yearly growth after 1.5 years without much cosmetic work (before this Reno) is about 6-7%, so it wasn't bad.

Thanks for replying, I have a place in East Maitland out near Morpeth

That is fantastic growth pre reno, I had no idea Rutherford was performing that well. Some bargains are sure to be had around Rutherford.

Saw a brick place advertised, it was mid reno and a mortgagee sale on 600m2 I think for $205,000.

Nice work.

Thanks for replying, I have a place in East Maitland out near Morpeth

That is fantastic growth pre reno, I had no idea Rutherford was performing that well. Some bargains are sure to be had around Rutherford.

Saw a brick place advertised, it was mid reno and a mortgagee sale on 600m2 I think for $205,000.

Nice work.
Thank you, my impression is that East Maitland is a nicer area. Rutherford Property I have is small and in secluded neighborhood just across Woolworths. The handyman I used is quite well priced if you need more ppl in your list :)

This property was $187k when I bought, and before Reno valued at $205k, so right in mark for the mortgagee sale. Hoping that I can revalue again next year if the sale value around the place is good. Fingers crossed

Nice work.
This one?

pic.png

Apart from interesting description, looks like the owner underestimate the reno work that needs to be done. Bought in 2007 for $195K

I'd think financing property with gutted bathroom and unfinished kitchen will be a challenge. SS brokers care to comment?

That's the place!

Is it still listed? It seemed very cheap to me. Any idea on the street?

Yes, still up there
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-rutherford-118158419

Considering that there are other listing in Rutherford for $215-$239K for fully intact house, I'm not sure whether that $205K is 'cheap' especially if financing is going to be difficult. but well, that's my noob opinion :eek:

Not sure about the road, if you're interested your East Maitland PM might be able to tell you more about the area?

Yes, still up there
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-rutherford-118158419

Considering that there are other listing in Rutherford for $215-$239K for fully intact house, I'm not sure whether that $205K is 'cheap' especially if financing is going to be difficult. but well, that's my noob opinion :eek:

Not sure about the road, if you're interested your East Maitland PM might be able to tell you more about the area?

I just google mapped it and I know where it is, brother in law has a new-ish house out that part of Rutherford and struggled to get tenants in there.

I am looking at more of a CG property next not so much CF so Rutherford may not exactly be my first choice.

Back