Buying in Tanah Merah, QLD ..

Anyone have any advice about this area?

i've found some relatively cheap houses on the market and am looking to buy in qld in the next few months.

Anyone have property there atm?

Apart from the price what else does it have going for it?

inner city? nope
scarcity? nope
close to cafe strip? nope
no more land available? nope, tons of it.
rental demand? not really
good schools? all average, not bad, not outstanding,
quick moving stock with prices rising? not really
high yield? it better have, to make up for the above.

what do you think about the price now?

Wow thank you :)

That was a very straight to the point answer, I appreciate that & it certainly put it in perspective.

I guess my next question would be, can you suggest any other areas in Brisbane? I got approx. 350k & I'm hoping I can find the best value for money / growth

I have attached some analysis (EdensLanding , Waterford, TanahMerah & DaisyHill) I did two years ago.

Attachments

• EdensLanding_Waterford_TanahMerah_DaisyHill_AnalysisSub.zip
    943.4 KB · Views: 163
I have attached some analysis (EdensLanding , Waterford, TanahMerah & DaisyHill) I did two years ago.

thanks so much devank, very interesting data! did you do that yourself? salute, sir

in your opinion, southside or northside is a better option?

I know my way around a statistical software called SPSS :)

At that time, I north side (north to the highway) like Daisy Hill were a bit too expensive. We ended up buying in Edens Landing (south side).

You made me look at last two years performance (house) for the suburbs I looked at.

Code:
Suburb	        Yield	Median	   12m Growth	24m Growth
Tanah Merah	5.73%	$349,000	-8%	-11%
Daisy Hill	5.51%	$379,000	-2%	-6%
Edens Landing	5.28%	$330,000	n/a	-3%
Waterford	6.15%	$338,000	-7%	-13%

My decision to go with Edens Landings (out of these 4) based on the data analysis alone wasn't that bad at all. I got the timing wrong though :rolleyes:

i feel ridiculous saying this, but i dont understand the figures :confused: haha research more!

Yield = rent * 52/sale price
Median = Current median price (for houses in this case)
24m Growth = Median price movement in last 24 months. It is negative for all here.

Apart from the price what else does it have going for it?

inner city? nope
scarcity? nope
close to cafe strip? nope
no more land available? nope, tons of it.
rental demand? not really
good schools? all average, not bad, not outstanding,
quick moving stock with prices rising? not really
high yield? it better have, to make up for the above.

what do you think about the price now?

Agree. Agree and Agree.

If you can afford it, stay within 10km from Brisbane CBD, get a house with good bones but nothing completely newly renovated. That's where the best CG is for this coming cycle IMO but I don't have a crystal ball. Not sure if its in your budget though.

Agree. Agree and Agree.

If you can afford it, stay within 10km from Brisbane CBD, get a house with good bones but nothing completely newly renovated. That's where the best CG is for this coming cycle IMO but I don't have a crystal ball. Not sure if its in your budget though.

i've got a unit in sydney.. and could poossibly buy a cheap unit in qld (greenslopes etc) that would be in my budget, but is there negatives to owning two units (other than 2 sets of strata)?

i've been considering some 2 bedroom units close to the city for 300+ but not sure this would be a smart move?

i've got a unit in sydney.. and could poossibly buy a cheap unit in qld (greenslopes etc) that would be in my budget, but is there negatives to owning two units (other than 2 sets of strata)?

i've been considering some 2 bedroom units close to the city for 300+ but not sure this would be a smart move?

Personally I think Brisbane is a house market (yes I know there are many markets) for best CG chances. Is there no way you can afford a house? If you can only afford a unit..i'm not sure I can give you advice on that as I never look at the unit markets in Brisbane as I know housing market is the way to go (if you can afford it).

In terms of units, some general (but important) things to stay away from IMO"
1. Do NOT buy OTP in Brisbane CBD (will be oversupply)
2. DO NOT buy in a major complex with hundreds of units.
3. DO NOT buy with a pool, lift, gym
4. Do NOT buy with a massive strata each quarter
5. Do NOT buy a brand newly renovated unit.
6. Do NOT buy a 1 bedroom apartment.
7. and Do NOT buy a unit in Tanah Merah.

That's my opinion, in order to avoid waiting a loooong time for capital growth.

so you'd say you've done well here?
Negative 3 is not done well. But other suburbs did worse. I'm in for a long haul so so it is ok.

In terms of units, some general (but important) things to stay away from IMO"
1. Do NOT buy OTP in Brisbane CBD (will be oversupply)
2. DO NOT buy in a major complex with hundreds of units.
3. DO NOT buy with a pool, lift, gym
4. Do NOT buy with a massive strata each quarter
5. Do NOT buy a brand newly renovated unit.
6. Do NOT buy a 1 bedroom apartment.

Good list :)

Moses
I think you have it backwards.
you seem to be looking for cheap stock as if that automatically makes it a good buy.

YOu can make money on units over houses but you need to know what drives the individual micro markets and who you are targeting.

Inlaws bought a unit in Newfarm and the capital growth beat the surrounding houses, NewFarm is a funky inner-city hipster suburb with access to the coffee strips and pubs.
this socioeconomic group don't want a yard and a vege patch so units with a view of the river and a pool will be king.
?the capital gain was triple in 3 years but the yield was crap
...you can't have both usually...

we own a unit that is in a massive building with lifts and pools and gym.
Its a one bedroom apartment with a big strata.
? terrible?
the yield is >9% as its in the short letting pool and is available for executive rentals. pumped up rents to compensate for the turnover. Great river view and always booked. its a ripper of a unit! now the interest rates have dropped its even better.

First define your strategy.
you want growth?
Ok find the moving suburbs. the property mags update every month
then work out the demographics
then buy what they want, chat to rental agencies to double check.
then hold for the long term and see if you are right.

you want yield?
Ok find the high yield suburbs
work out the demographics
buy what they want
think about the risks that will destroy your yield
- strata fees, maintenance costs, type of tenants, land tax, council fees.cancellation of major population drivers (helloooo Gladstone and mining towns)
if the risks are too high then don't buy.
hold for the long term and see if you are right.

simple but not easy

we own a unit that is in a massive building with lifts and pools and gym.
Its a one bedroom apartment with a big strata.
? terrible?
the yield is >9% as its in the short letting pool and is available for executive rentals.

:eek::eek: If that's what your happy with then party on. I suspect for most people its going to be a major no no...

Devank,

I recently brought in Waterford which is next door to Edens Landing and was wondering your thoughts on this suburb..

Devank,

I recently brought in Waterford which is next door to Edens Landing and was wondering your thoughts on this suburb..
TBH I don't really know well enough.
Waterford was/is giving much better yield. Few people here bought in Waterford well. I didn't want any tenant trouble. That is why I went with Edens Landing.

Back