costs for duplex construction

hi guys first post so be nice
i am currently in the process early stages of putting a duplex on a relatively flat block in the sutherland shire area nsw sydney
i have run a few costs and if anyone can amend theses or add there personal experiences or if im missing anything
thanks everyone in advance

Purchase price for block $695,000
construction cost for 2 storey duplex $600,000 worked off 400m2 @1500m2 would thise give me a high level finish as the market in the area wants
town planning permit $10,000
building permits$13,000
demo of tiny existing fibro $15000
holding costs on land loan 12 mths $38,000
holding costs on construction loan 12mth $25,000
council section 94 $10,000
waterboard $7000
contingency @5% of construction $30,000
then subdivision $7000
landscape, fences $15,000

Total costs $1,465,000

duplex in the area depending on finish recent sales $900k- $1.2mill
so from these prices i think we could get 950k each
so $1,900,000
which equals
21% profit minus agent fees but we will be keeping 1 for our ppor
my questin is do these numbers look about right am i missing an unhidden fees
i was thinking 1500m2 on 2 story duplex would give me a medium level finish

Here is a few more:

1. External plumbing and drainage (i.e. Stormwater, Sewer and Water Connection).

2. Rainwater tanks

3. Concreting (driveway, base of Rainwater Tank, etc)

4. Site costs (this one is a massive variable and often stuffs up your whole plan).

Regards

Shahin

thanks shahin
site costs shouldnt go to high as block is flat and slopes to the street gently.
what sort of cost for sewer , stormwater conection
rainwater tanks
driveways
roughly how much are these costs

should i go with a project builder to get it up cheap but have the facade and front landscaping done very nicly to present well then focus my money inside the duplex eg floorboards stone benches downlights tiled bathrooms to ceiling
etc

thanks shahin
site costs shouldnt go to high as block is flat and slopes to the street gently.
what sort of cost for sewer , stormwater conection
rainwater tanks
driveways
roughly how much are these costs

should i go with a project builder to get it up cheap but have the facade and front landscaping done very nicly to present well then focus my money inside the duplex eg floorboards stone benches downlights tiled bathrooms to ceiling
etc

Gosh it varies but here is an approx

External Drainage - $15k per dwelling
Rainwater Tanks - depending on whether you want slimline, round, how many litres, etc but lets say that the tank is a 5,000 Litre Slimline with a pump would be $2,000 per tank
Driveway - massive variable because concreting is one of those things that gets considerably cheaper the more you do. So let's say around $150 per sqm.

If you are looking for a builder call Ace - 0416 012 568.

Regards

Shahin

Sutherland Shire council since you are dealing with that council allow additional money for holding as that council is useless from a few friends that have done work around that area.

I am watching this thread with interest as i have a flat level block that i would like to do the same with.

Can please you keep the estimate and actual costs upadate as you go, i think it would be a valuable item for any would be duplex builder.

does anyone also know of a draftsman in caringbah. the duplex will be not a flash 1 so i think a draftsman could do up all the plans for d.a.
whats the costs differences between using a draftsman and architect.
can 1 of theses guys do the job or do i have to see both
thanks

does anyone also know of a draftsman in caringbah. the duplex will be not a flash 1 so i think a draftsman could do up all the plans for d.a.
whats the costs differences between using a draftsman and architect.
can 1 of theses guys do the job or do i have to see both
thanks

This to me goes against your other comment about "high level" finishes.

Inside and outside count in my opinion.

To me thats a pretty bad house - they have gone high end on certain things such as the windows fit outs and cheap on many other things which is a waste really.

Regards

Shahin

thanks nek what i meant i want it to present really well obviously we have a budget and we arent going to skimp on things that the market is wanting we are looking at putting small suplex from about 185m2 -200m2 max each side so its only going to be 3beds 2 baths single garage hence our budget present really nice spend the money where the narket wants eg kitchen bathrooms etc this market is aging and the agents have told me to try and have the master bed ground floor etc etc
thats what i worked off 400m2 max x $1500m2 was 300,000 each double story duplex if it was 185m2 each that would be $50,000 cheaper and we could put that back into the house so an extra $25,00 each side would take it to nearly $1700m2 into a 3x2 duplex

thanks john and yes we heave driven past that and that is top of the range for that area and it is very nice lol...
do you think 1700m2 would get us a medium level finish in a 185m2 3 bed 2 bath

- Stormwater detention costs can kill the project. We built a duplex in Wentworthville in 2012 . The council approved stormwater detention tank at the front as an underground tank with a suspended driveway which cost us $ 50000

- Surveyors fees, I strongly suggest you check their total fees from initial survey to final torrens title subdivision, plus council fees and LPI registration fees

- GST & tax implications , apparently when you sell a newly constructed building , even if you are not registered as for GST or not a builder you are supposed to pay GST and the profit gets fully taxed with no CGT benefit. I suggest you check this with your accoutant. Unless you live in the property for 12 months as a PPOR , then sell it and move to the second duplex which you make a PPOR and sell it after 12 months you will get taxed. The only way to avoid is to hold the entire project as an investment for 5 years, then you cant claim GST however it becomes CGT......strongly advice you to check with your accountant.

ok guys i think i have found a builder to do our duplex as we really like their design and their inclusions and upgrades
we are looking to go with kurmond homes in sydney
i have read both good and bad reviews on them as the same with any builder
we are going to put their kensington 43 202m2 each unit with granada facade.
price seems to be good at around 1270m2 build costs
we are going to stretch the home 500mm each side unit up the middle to make the most of our block
any one that would like to add info good or bad go for it please
also from what i allowed we can add a lot of extras and upgrades and still come in under the 600k build
the black lines indicate the srtecth 500mm
the blue lines is where we are going to have a full stacker door at the rear
ad the green with a large window
question
can we build a small low deck less then prob 600mm off ground inside the rear setback as this will determine what type of rear doors we use

Attachments

• Kensington-floorplan-1200px how we would like to have it with some changes.jpg
    Kensington-floorplan-1200px how we would like to have it with some changes.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 3,184
Is your block 45m deep?
When I built a duplex in Miranda a few years ago, you couldn't build 2nd storey past the 50% line.
It may have changed recently, but unsure.
Also, the council may not be too happy with only single garage.
As mentioned, they are not the easiest council to deal with.

Where is this duplex you propose?
Based on those prices, you'd have to be somewhere around South Caringbah, Woolooware or Burraneer.
But if you're picking up the block for 695, it can only be Caringbah.
I live in South Caringbah, so have a good idea of prices here.
I think your buying costs for a high quality build will be more than expected.

Good Luck.

we are in sth caringbah we are building a medium finish but paying extra attention to what the market wants so eg tiling to ceiling in wet areas,
alfresco
1 might have side access for a boat etc
timber floors
high ceilings
big stacker door or bifold out onto aalfresco indoor outdoor
neutral paints
stone benchtops
good 900mm appliances
trying to do it under budget as first build and we plan to keep 1 and sell 1 with the side access
our block is only small but neighbouring property has more than 50% building line top floor so we will be arguing that hopefully
cheers

we are in sth caringbah we are building a medium finish but paying extra attention to what the market wants so eg tiling to

OK I was going to ask where in the Shire you could get up to $1.2M for a duplex...Then when you said Caringbah South it all comes into persepctive.:)

Watching this thread with interest

Dealing with the Sutherland Shire Council...good luck with that. I hope your sanity stays in check .

Cheers

Back