Bathroom and tile resurfacing?

Anybody done bathroom/ tile resurfacing?

Is it worth it?

Or am i better off spending abit more and getting new tiles and bathtub put in?

Have done this twice now.
Depends on the quality of your existing bathroom.
Is it a rental or PPOR, wouldn't do a PPOR as you will notice all the little imperfections.
Came up a bit nicer than I was expecting, i'll post a before and after shot of our recent one in the next post :)

See attached Photos
Total cost for Bathroom $2800 but was last minute so a bit more expensive.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 244
Wow, good work Zimby, the mirror alone makes a huge difference! Did you use White Knight Tile Paint?
What did you use to resurface the shower base, bath and vanity?

Wow, good work Zimby, the mirror alone makes a huge difference! Did you use White Knight Tile Paint?
What did you use to resurface the shower base, bath and vanity?

Wish I had the time to DIY this.
Used Glazemaster for the resurfacing and Stegbar for the Mirror( couldn't get the right sized framed mirror, but they did this for 190 installed so not too bad)
I'd probably still get some-one else to do the work, getting a nice finish with tile paint can be tricky, also Glazemaster Etch the tiles prior to 2 coats so it wears a bit better.
Took the guys 4 days to complete the work( also some kick tiles in toilet/laundry)

Looks good from pictures.

I am thinking of doing it for an IP

I'm not sure if my tiles are in good enough condition though

Definitely get a subby to spray the room. Also reglaze the tub as well.

New vanity/tap ware, bath spout and mirrors. Even change door furniture.

Ok so just got a quote from a "company" I found online.

I'm not very convinced.

The guy was young 25 and has only been doing it for 1 year.

When I asked how long it will last he said he has never had a problem with it peeling...once again 1 year experience.

And told me to silicon down loose tiles around the bath hob.

Quote was 2k which included bath tub, walls and floor.

He reckons 18month warranty on rental places and 5 year on ppor

Total back yarders

Ok so just got a quote from a "company" I found online.

I'm not very convinced.

The guy was young 25 and has only been doing it for 1 year.

When I asked how long it will last he said he has never had a problem with it peeling...once again 1 year experience.

And told me to silicon down loose tiles around the bath hob.

Quote was 2k which included bath tub, walls and floor.

He reckons 18month warranty on rental places and 5 year on ppor

Total back yarders

Yep, definitly go with the bigger companies, they use better quality products and guns.

Have done this twice now.
Depends on the quality of your existing bathroom.
Is it a rental or PPOR, wouldn't do a PPOR as you will notice all the little imperfections.
Came up a bit nicer than I was expecting, i'll post a before and after shot of our recent one in the next post :)

Looks good from here. What are the 'little imperfections'?

Uneven painting on a few area's in the bathtub.
Some grit painted over which when removed left a tiny unpainted mark.
I have a bit of OCD in this regard.

So do I. I really only respect tradies who are also control freaks. I guess there's not many in the resurfacing side of things?

We had our bath in our PPOR sprayed a few years ago.
Looked great when it had just been done. 5 years down the track and it is stained and I cant get it clean.
I would not get a bath resprayed again, better of getting a new bath in my opinion.

I've had it done. Never again.
It peeled after 9 months.

A simple bath mat did a better job of concealing the slight rust - at least that didn't bubble.

Depending on the situation i would either ignore it (if the place is getting demolished) or redo the bathroom properly - that way it stays good for the next 20 years.

I am getting a small bathroom unit done as we speak. the guy said it would take 3 days but might be ok in 2 for the plumber to put in new toilet and handbasin. There is a 10 year warranty so it better be good! Will post some pix after. I wish now I'd thought it through better as I could have put a bath in there as well. Could have put a cheap new bath in and put the new glass screen on there. Oh well, I'm learning as I go along.

I should add that I had a rusty old cast iron bath with claw feet (PPOR) reglazed about 7 years ago. It still looks fab, although It does stain easily now so have to make sure I clean it quickly after kids with grass stained feet have sat it in or someone dyes their hair over the bath!

I've had it done. Never again.
It peeled after 9 months.

A simple bath mat did a better job of concealing the slight rust - at least that didn't bubble.

Depending on the situation i would either ignore it (if the place is getting demolished) or redo the bathroom properly - that way it stays good for the next 20 years.

Im just not sure what to do for this bathroom. It is very dilapidated at the moment. Bath is rusty, there is black mould around the tub.

So I can't ignore that but I don't want to do a bathroom reno Because my plan is to demolish it one day. But in its current state its probably a health hazard

Back