Volunteering

So I'm sitting here in the Radio Room at Marine Rescue looking out over the ocean. Was here before dawn and watched the sun come up now keeping an eye on the pretty girls running along the track in front of my window. In an old heritage listed house on the cliff edge here at King Edward Park in Newcastle.

I started here a month or two back and spend a half day a week manning the radio and also on call for the Rescue Boat. Suits me because I do love the ocean and hanging out on boats.

Guess I'm of an age where I have the time and ability to get involved with the community a little more than when my kids were young. Although back then my volunteering was involved with schools and kids sports.

What do other folks do? What other interesting roles are out there?

Or intend doing when you have the time?

I work voluntarily at the local bowling club. The whole place depends on voluntary labour really or else it wouldn't be viable to remain open. I am the local rural fire brigade captain. President of the bush hall committee. Help out with stuff at the local primary school. Supply free fire wood for some old folks in town in their late 80's.

See ya's.

For years I had a regular shift (3 - 4 hrs pw) at an Organic Food Co-Op. I've moved 30 mins from there, but still cover shifts on occasion.

Also was on the Board of Trustees (Board of Directors) for the local High School for 2 yrs. Not that I have any kids of my own, but I was approached by the Deputy Chair who said they needed someone with more a financial background to get involved.

And I chaired the local Chamber of Commerce for 12 mths.

Once the props allow me to drop to part time at work (or maybe to 0 if im lucky), I hope to volunteer some time. What's the best way of finding out whats available / needed?

What do other folks do? What other interesting roles are out there?

Or intend doing when you have the time?

I help out at the local Vinnies at Annerley once every 2 week ,my job is helping unload the pick-up trucks then sort out what's inside the bags or what's left outside overnight,but most from I'm told does not make it inside
a lot of people target the inner city ones and anything good ends up at the weekend flea markets,always walk out with a smile on my face..

My DD and I volunteer once a month at a. National Trust house, we open and close, take the money, answer questions etc. When I don't work full time I would love to volunteer at a community radio station.

A few things for me but mainly was the Lort Smith Animal Hospital in Melbourne and also the Alma Doepel at Docklands which is an old ship slowly being restored.

Haven't had a chance to find anything up north yet but it will be something animal/dog related such as YAPS.

My mum volunteers at the RSPCA doing 'adoptions'. She shows customers the available pets, does the paperwork and most importantly ensures the animal and the person fit (they refuse to sell the pet if they don't). So they wouldn't let an old lady with a dodgy hip adopt a Siberian Husky for instance. The last thing they want is the pet being returned.

A couple of interesting things...
Most people want the young cute pet, but some are very altruistic, specifically seeking out the least 'desirable' pet - say the older greyhound with three legs.

Cats breed more in warm weather (or cold, can't remember which way round). So the RSPCA in the southern states don't get many kittens handed in during winter and can't fill the demand for those cute kittens. So kittens are shipped down from QLD during winter.

My mum volunteers at the RSPCA doing 'adoptions'. She shows customers the available pets, does the paperwork and most importantly ensures the animal and the person fit (they refuse to sell the pet if they don't). So they wouldn't let an old lady with a dodgy hip adopt a Siberian Husky for instance. The last thing they want is the pet being returned.

A couple of interesting things...
Most people want the young cute pet, but some are very altruistic, specifically seeking out the least 'desirable' pet - say the older greyhound with three legs.

Cats breed more in warm weather (or cold, can't remember which way round). So the RSPCA in the southern states don't get many kittens handed in during winter and can't fill the demand for those cute kittens. So kittens are shipped down from QLD during winter.

I applied to become a volunteer years ago at RSCPA

I couldnt believe the amount of restrictions, conditions, requirements, and demands they had!!! It was like they forgot that I was donating my time to them for free

I quickly withdrew my application

I applied to become a volunteer years ago at RSCPA

I couldnt believe the amount of restrictions, conditions, requirements, and demands they had!!! It was like they forgot that I was donating my time to them for free

I quickly withdrew my application

I've served on the board of a couple of community orgs that are staffed by a mix of volunteers and paid staff.

There is an abundance of people wanting to volunteer, but not all (and that includes board members) are going to be productive volunteers. There needs to be a good selection process for volunteers - or paid staff (or other volunteers in some cases) are going to spend all their time babysitting. Organisations need to find staff (paid or unpaid) that meet their needs.

In turn the orgs I worked for provided a lot of benefits to volunteers, eg covered travel costs (most wouldn't claim it) and provided 'professional development' etc.

Just because you were going to donate your time doesn't necessarily make it valuable.

What an ideal volunteer job for you, Simon ... and good on you!

I volunteer as the secretary for the school equestrian team - organising and collating all the competition entries, excursions and general updates.

Also volunteer as the secretary on the board for the Australian Garlic Industry Association - that one's a lot more work. Lengthy monthly minutes, assisting at festivals, contacting media, organising annual conference for 100+ people ... but someone has to do it :eek:

**** just got real in here at Marine Rescue. Wild weather out there ....

Unit Commander dropped me a box of Father's Day raffle tickets to unstaple.

Feeling like a hero :)

I foster puppies for SAFE (Saving Animals from Euthanasia), its great fun, except you have to toilet train them and some pups will cry for a couple of nights, so up all hours.

What's really brilliant is having my children's friends come over to play with the new baby, wonderful watching the interaction, nothing better than puppies in a house. I have had as many as 3 from same litter.

There has only been 1 pup that I wish I had kept, that was very difficult, even Mr MTR had a teary moment when Daisy left:)

MTR

Just because you were going to donate your time doesn't necessarily make it valuable.
my time is valuable, as is every one else paid or unpaid,

I doubt they would have so man strict guidelines if no one was volunteering

Personally, I think any organisation should be grateful of any volunteers, useful or not

my time is valuable, as is every one else paid or unpaid,

I doubt they would have so man strict guidelines if no one was volunteering

Personally, I think any organisation should be grateful of any volunteers, useful or not

TE
I did some volunteer work for Good Sammys, but I did not last long with this group because they continually gave me the sh.t jobs that they did not want to deal with, unfortunately I guess this can happen.

I am certainly not going to do volunteer work if I don't enjoy it, no point to this.

MTR:)

Back