Understand the math ~ Diet vs Exercise

I always struggle... as I am addicted to food, have managed to stay in average BMI range, but it kills me, and I don't exercise other than taking my dogs for daily walks. Then again I believe its 80% what you put in your mouth, exercise has minimal effect really, it takes huge effort to burn minimal calories who could be bothered.

Interesting though this BMI thing, my husband is in the obese range, but he is not obese, perhaps a little chubby bubby, but no way near obese from my eyes, perhaps I am blind:). I know a few people who have said the same, not sure how accurate this is and how it works.

For those who watch their weight, do you also check blood pressure weekly??

MTR:)

I don't check my weight weekly. I can tell from what I am eating if I am gaining, losing or stable. I might check every 2 months if I remember. The other side is wearing the same belt for work most days. Tells me fast which direction I am going.

I also don't check my blood pressure that often. All I know is that is was stage 2 hypertension and my doctor was pushing very hard to put me on blood pressure meds. I was fat and eating way too much sugar, so I cut the sugar to practically zero, lost about 12 kg and dropped my blood pressure back into the normal range in a couple of months. Let food be your medicine?

I always struggle... as I am addicted to food, have managed to stay in average BMI range, but it kills me, and I don't exercise other than taking my dogs for daily walks. Then again I believe its 80% what you put in your mouth, exercise has minimal effect really, it takes huge effort to burn minimal calories who could be bothered.

Huge effort? I'm perplexed at how 3-5 20-30min walks to get the HR up is such an effort to find to live longer and healthier. Is really putting 2hrs effort a week that hard to add years (or healthier years) to live your life? Personally I think that is a sign of LAZINESS.

I do agree though, what we fuel our bodies with is a large portion (not 80% though) of society's growing obesity epidemic. Far too much sugar and fat in peoples diet.

Interesting though this BMI thing, my husband is in the obese range, but he is not obese, perhaps a little chubby bubby, but no way near obese from my eyes, perhaps I am blind:). I know a few people who have said the same, not sure how accurate this is and how it works.

So your husband is in the obese range and looks 'chubby bubby' and you don't think he's obese? That's a cop out. That is the warning sign right there in front of you and you're choosing to ignore it.

BMI is an out-dated measurement of obesity, however it is a 'back of the envelope' calculation for the uneducated. If you do fall into the 'obese' range, then you should be standing back and looking at where the weight is, and what problems will stem from this and get it checked, and ultimately do something about it. Ignoring the warning signs will end up costing you a lot more than a bit of time getting the HR up and washing some sweaty clothes.

pinkboy

I always struggle... as I am addicted to food ...

Hi MTR, lol me too. I have always kept fit--going to the gym and walking every day. I would spend two hours at the gym every morning and walk in the evening, but had to stop due to a genetic heart problem. I now just walk every day but want to start yoga again. Yoga is great--not too hard on the heart but it still gives you a good work out.

I think that men lose weight easier than women do.

Does not matter how much you exercise a bad diet is a bad diet that is the real issue?? 2 hours per week exercise... well do the maths how much will that burn??

I walk my dogs 30 minutes per day, I enjoy this and so do my dogs, I don't enjoy going to the gym, so I am not going to do something I hate, because the chances are it will be short lived.

Unfortunately living longer is not also just about what you eat/drink and how much you exercise.

Clearly this is pretty much the case across the board, have a look at these stats. This is I believe pretty bang on even though published 2 years ago.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/trim-wastage-of-fitness-cash/story-fnagkbpv-1226553294564

Hi MTR, lol me too. I have always kept fit--going to the gym and walking every day. I would spend two hours at the gym every morning and walk in the evening, but had to stop due to a genetic heart problem. I now just walk every day but want to start yoga again. Yoga is great--not too hard on the heart but it still gives you a good work out.

I think that men lose weight easier than women do.

what 2 hours in the gym every morning, no one on this forum is going to call you lazy;)

I don't disagree with you or the article, but your husband for instance isn't going to eat his way thin again.

How many 30min walks or swims is your husband presently doing?

pinkboy

I don't disagree with you or the article, but your husband for instance isn't going to eat his way thin again.

How many 30min walks or swims is your husband presently doing?

pinkboy

Agree, but his issue is more about over eating, its as simple as that.

He has a personal trainer and this has helped.

He also plays golf every week.

But at the end of the day he needs to reduce his calorie intake to lose weight.

Has lost some weight but its a yo yo, down/up.

Cut out all the refined and processed foods, always check how much sugar is in the food you are buying have a black coffee with a dash of milk instead of the full fat latte with on sugar. Avoid as much bread as you can if you must the darker the better.

Lean and clean is the name of the game and try and stick to the superfoods, avocado, greek yoghurt is good as are blueberries and nuts.

Also fasting on weekends (no lunch can help) We were actually not meant to have three meals per day.

When was the last time you felt hungry, due to our extended lifestyles we stuff our selves with food all day

Abs are made in the kitchen :D

images

Cut out all the refined and processed foods, always check how much sugar is in the food you are buying have a black coffee with a dash of milk instead of the full fat latte with on sugar. Avoid as much bread as you can if you must the darker the better.

Lean and clean is the name of the game and try and stick to the superfoods, avocado, greek yoghurt is good as are blueberries and nuts.

Also fasting on weekends (no lunch can help) We were actually not meant to have three meals per day.

When was the last time you felt hungry, due to our extended lifestyles we stuff our selves with food all day

I think that's a new one, fasting for 2 days per week, by fasting its 500 cal per day.

But we all know what we need to eat there is so much information out there, that's not the issue, clearly it goes deeper than this, 3 out 5 people in Australia are overweight and this is increasing. I don't have an answer, but whatever people are doing it aint working cos Australians are getting fatter.....

I think that's a new one, fasting for 2 days per week, by fasting its 500 cal per day.
I have done a proper fast for 24 hours. I didn't mind it. I should do it again. After that, I found I was less hungry during the day. I haven't tried the 500 calorie "fast" days but it sounds good to me. I just need to organise the right food to eat. It all comes down to that.

When you get hungry and its not mealtime, just eat light vegies like lettuce, celery, tomatoes, etc.

100g of lettuce/celery/tomato is about 15cal. Compare this with donuts (500cal), meat/bread (250), chocolate (500). You could probably eat an entire head of lettuce and it'd still be healthier than going to Donut King!

Also I don't get the whole anti-carb thing...if fat is better than carbs, and I eat about two fistfuls of bread/rice per meal, does this mean I can eat the same amount in butter or olive oil? (Although I suppose the massive diarrhea afterwards might reduce your calorie intake)

Some of the skinniest people I know (ie. the ones who are trying to gain weight) eat mainly carbs and vegies. Of course, I suppose if your definition of "carb" is "donut with glazed topping"...

Frankly, I think if you eat in moderation, reduce processed foods (DONUTS!) and not sit on your *** all day, you shouldn't have any problems unless you've got a medical condition. All this atkins/paleo/lemon water stuff isn't necessary, they're just silly fads. Obesity has only been a serious issue for the last few decades - people have done fine without diets for the past few thousand years.

When you get hungry and its not mealtime, just eat light vegies like lettuce, celery, tomatoes, etc.

100g of lettuce/celery/tomato is about 15cal. Compare this with donuts (500cal), meat/bread (250), chocolate (500). You could probably eat an entire head of lettuce and it'd still be healthier than going to Donut King!
This is correct. I like veggies, nuts, fruit... all the healthy things. My problem is that when I am hungry and it is not mealtime, I am not surrounded by veggies, nuts and fruit. I am surrounded by chocolate, biscuits and cake.

Therein lies the problem.

No, I disagree.

This is a simplification. These sorts of statements are very common, and are unhelpful in addressing what is becoming a very serious problem for society. They are also based on a flawed understanding about how people make decisions.

If people really could make a 'set and forget' decision no-one would be obese, or at least very few. We would all simply decide 'I will only eat healthy food and I will take a reasonable amount of exercise,' and then do only that. This is not how people make or implement decisions. I suggest you read Daniel Kahneman's 'Thinking, fast and slow.'

The biggest contributors to obesity in my view are availability and advertising of highly processed foods. If you make foods that are high in sugar and fat very available, people will eat them. If you normalise these foods and normalise very large portions through advertising and availability, people will eat them. Over time they will eat more of them.

If you rely on willpower to resolve the obesity problem you will fail every time.

Simplifications like 'You just need to pull yourself together and make better choices,' may be ok if you are trying to motivate an individual but are useless if you are trying to tackle the problem on a societal level. What matters/works is habit formation. We make small decisions every day based on our habits. So retraining ourselves to new habits is effective, as long as those habits are reasonably sustainable and pleasing to some degree. However good habits are less likely to be sustained when you live in an environment where high sugar and high fat foods are cheap and constantly available.

All this atkins/paleo/lemon water stuff isn't necessary, they're just silly fads. Obesity has only been a serious issue for the last few decades - people have done fine without diets for the past few thousand years.

What have people existed on for the past few thousand years?

The Asian demographic aside.

Back