Understand the math ~ Diet vs Exercise

I received this link the other day

Diet Vs Exercise

Following on from the Diet, Exercise and Weight loss - help! thread

We all know by now that weight gain happens when more calories are consumed than are burned.

To lose weight, you most burn more calories than you take in or consume fewer calories overall. Weight loss programs typically focus on either reducing calories or increasing activity, or a combination of the two.

from the video link

To show you how ineffective cardio is and just how dramatic your calorie intake can be without you knowing it.The simple truth is; you can't out-train a bad diet.

Brad consumed approximately 1000 total calories, while Craig burned only 43 calories. Cardio loses against diet.This just goes to show you, in diet vs. exercise, you can never out train a bad diet. It doesn't matter how good your program is, if this is your nutrition, you're not going to lose fat.

It is easier to eat less than exercise to burn additional energy

Currently I'm up at 04:35 and at the gym by 05:00, I usually hit the eliptical trainer for 4-5 km, HIIT on the Treadmill on an incline of 2 and up to a speed of 17-19 for 2-3 km with sprints for the HIIt, then onto the bike (recumbent or upright variety)for 5-6 km , then either the stair-climber or rowing machine

That's the first 40 minutes and I'm warmed up to tackle a bodypart for the next 20 minutes.

I use HIIT as I believe the studies that show you continue to burn calories even after you've stopped exercising, if its not true, I feel better beliveing it.

The above you-tube link is a poignant reminder to me that, though exercise releases the ‘feel good’ endorphins, it’s the diet that makes the difference, something I'm more aware of as I age

limiting your intake of fatty foods, cutting out sugary and carbonated drinks and those 'yummy' treats, reducing your portion size, adding more vegetables and fruits, and cutting out alcohol can make a difference..though i admit a weakness to a red-wine

One pound of fat equals 3,500 calories; so to lose one pound a week, you must reduce your caloric intake by 500 calories daily.

1.0 pound = approx 0.45 kilograms
2.2 pounds = approx 1.0 kilograms

I've lost about 5-6 kg recently and i'm sure the below diet by Ocean Architect would be beneficial to drop a bit more, but so much fish would do my head in...can the chicken be Nando's ;)

I'm back on diet at the moment though and should be good in 10 weeks. fish, salad, fish, salad, fish, salad WAIT! let's change it up! chicken, salad. Oh, you're in for a treat today, Ocean, you can sprinkle some feta into your salad wooo! :):):):)()

Mate good stuff, I'm a big fan of HIIT myself.

I'd just keep doing what you are doing and then when your weight loss stalls, you can look at your diet closer.

My 2c

Why not try this and lose weight without the extra exercise, just a more natural amount of exercise ?

Not that I have a weight problem but I have seen this working and follow it myself, at least 80%-20% and have no guilt eating a big juicy steak and real butter!

It's the carbs and sugars the main culprits. We need fat.

Have a read with an open mind and see what you think. makes sense to me and there is no hard selling going on, you can do this without cost.

Oh...nearly forgot...the guy is 57 yrs old...yep!

Last edited:
Good stuff mate!

Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. It's a very simple concept as you've said but people don't seem to understand

tongue firmly in cheek

Why not try this and lose weight without the extra exercise, just a more natural amount of exercise ?

Not that I have a weight problem but I have seen this working and follow it myself, at least 80%-20% and have no guilt eating a big juicy steak and real butter!

It's the carbs and sugars the main culprits. We need fat.

Have a read with an open mind and see what you think. makes sense to me and there is no hard selling going on, you can do this without cost.

Oh...nearly forgot...the guy is 57 yrs old...yep!

Hi TF

Butter, lot of saturated fat there?

I didn’t that prehistoric man had access to butter? :D

Agree with you on refined carbs and sugars though

I had a quick look at the site though and it some good notions.

I’m more inclined to believe that prehistoric man’s diet was a survival diet and exercise was mandatory i.e. you either run to catch it and eat it, or you run so it doesn’t catch or eat you!

images

Eventually you’re too old or slow and you take your part in the circle of life.

No fridges in prehistoric times, so you were up early, walking barefoot to hunt or gather. If you were lucky you had a sharp stick though more than likely just some stones, which if thrown accurately could sate your hunger, if inaccurate you may just ‘tick’ off your chosen food source and best be fleet of foot.

According to research you apparently burn up to 300% more calories from fat stores if you exercise on an empty stomach, I don’t think old mate Grok would care though, as he’s just intent on putting as much distance between him and some hungry or angry beastie. No nice new balance 1123's for maximum stability, comfort with gel insert for Groks overpronoting gait either..old mate is running barefoot

If you’ve ever gathered berries to eat, its a very time consuming chore and seems little reward for calories/energy expended, the fact that blueberries are better for you than many other fruits would be of no interest to old mate Grok either, however at least blueberries don’t chase you?

Its a wonder Sloths aren't extinct...good food source and they are slow, if only the hairy buggers would climb so high in the bloody tree's.

No deep-pan, cheese stuffed pizza, self-saucing sticky date pudding or double bacon cheeseburgers with onion rings and a soft serve thickshake for Grok, he’s looking at grubs, lizards, insects, a tasty tree root, maybe some eggs, a fish or a small animal to be eaten before it decays.

PS: Rocky knows just how hard it is to catch a chicken ;)

rocky-chicken-150x150.jpg

I've been thinking about getting into Crossfit for a bit of balance, though not sure I really want to train whilst angry but WiiFit is just not doing it for me

Calories are calories.

About 6 months ago I was eating Pizza, McDonalds, KFC for probably 80% of my meals for 4 or 5 weeks.
I was doing no exercise during this time and ended up the leanest I've ever been, good muscle definition and visible abs in the right lighting.
It was the lightest bodyweight I've been in a long time.

Now, I'm eating healthy again and exercising, and, gaining weight.

It's not the type of food you are eating which determines your body composition, it's the calories excess or deficit.

If you want to lose weight, eat anything you wan't, but below maintenance calories.
Good to have enough protein though, to grow or maintain muscle, which will burn more calories at rest.

I would have thought the solution to losing weight was simple; a combination of a balanced diet and regular exercise.

Calorie intake needs to be below the requirement per day to maintain weight for your age etc of course.

Too boring (and too hard), and no money in it....you have to "buy" the solution. :rolleyes:

I would have thought the solution to losing weight was simple; a combination of a balanced diet and regular exercise.

Calorie intake needs to be below the requirement per day to maintain weight for your age etc of course.

Too boring (and too hard), and no money in it....you have to "buy" the solution. :rolleyes:

There really is no need for a solution to lose weight.

The real need is solution for those with a problem gaining weight.
Maybe some sort of calorie counting mouthpiece which gets worn every time something is consumed.
It could be set to have a daily limit which it lets through, after this is reached, the door should shut tight and not let any more calories through until the next day.

Exactly what I need at this very minute so thanks guys.
I was telling OO earlier this yr about the great fun we had camping up on the Murry at Xmas - til I saw the pics. Who the hell is that , nahh can't be me but , I'm afraid it was .
So I started running , cut back on a few drinks , cut out sugar , not too many munchies .
I've been really stoked up until about a mth ago. I lost heaps a round the mid section , bought some nice jeans on sale that didn't fit me , now they do. I can run 4 k now , breathings heaps better and I'm much much fitter but I've plat-toed or even added a little just in this last few weeks again and felt very discouraged .

Really , it's my own fault. I've been eating too much crap again , drinking a bit extra. Thought I could get away with it now but not so , bugger !
You'd reckon giving up sugar and hardly eating any crap , alone would make the world of difference after yrs of it, add running to that. But there ya go. Drop your guard and it's biting you in a flash .
Have been feeling these last few weeks , Jesus if that's all it takes then all my works hardly worth it really but , you've inspired me to hang in there .
Went for my run this morning non the less also , which I cruised through - huge change from not being able to run 500mtrs only 6 mths back so that's big too.
Trouble is really in all honesty , exercising bores me to tears so the running is more viewed as a temp - get in and then get out thing once in shape. Keep me going for a few yrs .

Unfortunately now I realize though that like the weight , if I stop I'll probably be back to unfit in 6 mths.
At any rate , I've lost 5 or 6 kilos and will persist in getting another 3 or 4 off which would be great .

Cheers

Last edited:
No need to count.

Eat less carbs.
Eat more organic vegetables and fruit.
Eat healthy fats (olive oil, coconut oil, rice bran oil, omega 3s & 6s, flax seed oil, avocado).
Avoid margarine and vegetable oils.
Avoid sugar, white flour.
Eat lean protein, fish, organic chicken and turkey.

I can expand...

No need to count.

Eat less carbs.
Eat more organic vegetables and fruit.
Eat healthy fats (olive oil, coconut oil, rice bran oil, omega 3s & 6s, flax seed oil, avocado).
Avoid margarine and vegetable oils.
Avoid sugar, white flour.
Eat lean protein, fish, organic chicken and turkey.

I can expand...

This diet can make you obese too, if you consistently overeat.

No need to count calories, but need to look in the mirror and be honest with yourself.

My change of thinking started one day when I saw a couple of photos of me from a party. I looked at myself and didn't like the person that I saw so decided to do something about it. Being 6'4" and 112 kgs, I didn't look FAT but I felt it.
All it took for me to lose 19kgs :eek: was cutting back on alcohol and rubbish food and spend 45 minutes to an hour exercising daily.
It's SIMPLE! Anyone that says they can't do it or are too busy are kidding themselves. Change your mindset and change your life

I turned 60 over 12 months ago and I decided to join my local Gym
One year on I have lost 11kg and am 65k
I go 5 times a week and spend 1.5 hrs there every day
Best I have felt in 30 years
I dont eat junk food MANAGE MY INTAKE OF FOOD
BenefitS ,Fit,Healthy,Positve Attitude,
Looking forward to climb Sydney Harbour Bridge when I am 80
Did it in March this year

SENIOR

Great to see some of the responses above and how everyone else is going

This morning I made a mental note to remember the distance, time and calories burnt on the machines, as I usually just move from one to the other for a set time period trying to achieve a distance goal. I also mix up the order and cardio machines.

This mornings was roughly

Eliptical Trainer
- 12 minutes, 4km and 270 Calories

Treadmill at Incline of 2 (HIIT)
- 15 minutes, 2.5km and 248 Calories

Recumberent Bike
- 16 minutes, 6km and 303 Calories

So thats roughly 12.5 km's in 43 minutes and 821 Calories burnt during the cardio exercise session.

Then off to the weights section for a bodypart for the next 15-20 minutes, trying not to use gravity or momentum as my workout partner. Unknown calories burnt

With reference here to the original Diet Vs Exercise video link in post one; 800Calories is probably equal to four slices of a Deep Pan, BBQ Meat Lovers Pizza, or four glazed donuts, not mention the fat content in both of those.

If I eat less and move more, I should be getting a caloric defecit, with an added bonus of increased aerobic endurance plus a flood of those 'feel good' endorphins ;)

All things being equal (*meaning the day to day calories consumed remain constant), eating 800 calories less is far easier than burning 800 calories off.

In fact if you ate 1,000 calories less each day at the end of one week (refer to *) you would now have a deficit of 7,000 Calories from your normal diet, which would equal nearly 1kg of body-fat?

Burning 1,000 calories each day would have the same result.

Not too enticing, so my plan is to both exercise more and watch what I eat (and drink). I also am not so wound up that an occasional red wine or a meal out is going to send me into clinical depression..one glass is fine,two is nice, the whole bottle is just greedy and i'll feel it the next day :D

Don't forget here that you also have a basal metabolic rate where you burn calories when walking, sitting, sleeping, reading, writing, eating etc

The end result being, if i'm not getting the fat loss results I want, then I'm either not moving enough (exercising regularly, correctly or hard enough) or eating too much.

An hour on the treadmill at 4 km an hour as a workout just wont do it

Long post, but simple solution i'm looking at "eat less - move more" :D

This diet can make you obese too, if you consistently overeat.

No need to count calories, but need to look in the mirror and be honest with yourself.

True, overeating is over looked.

I have remained the same weight for the last 12 years. I'm 30 now.

Also, you can eat WHATEVER you like 10% of the time, as long as the rest of the 90% you eat is healthy.

Last edited:
Back