Mixed use loan

Hi all,

Just a quick question - if I have a mixed use loan that I pay off to a zero balance, can I then redraw the funds for investment purposes only and claim deductions?

My thought is yes, but want to be sure the ATO will agree :)

Thanks!

Generally the redrawn amount will be new borrowings and there should be no mixing involved if the balance is paid down to zero first.

I've had clients consult their accountants on this and it's been okay, but of course everyone's different...

Ha - lots of things sound sweet to me, until the guys who know things tell me no.

Anything is possible...until you speak to an accountant ;)

... and then you talk to a lawyer, it's possible again, for a nice fee. :D

Hi all,

Just a quick question - if I have a mixed use loan that I pay off to a zero balance, can I then redraw the funds for investment purposes only and claim deductions?

My thought is yes, but want to be sure the ATO will agree :)

Thanks!

Now lets get the true tax answer. Its maybe.

If the investment is intended to earn income such as dividend paying shares, interest, rental income from property etc then Yes. You don't even have to acquire the investment. The cost may be to improve it or even pay outgoings associated with it (ie strata levies)

If the investment is one which is anticipated to make a future windfall profit alone then its likely that the answer is no. eg Buying shares in a company that doesn't pay divs but you think the price will go up.

Back