Cairns market maybe slightly improving is some areas?

Just wondering what the hell is going on in Cairns? I had a bit of look at the market about 6 months ago after reading in the forum that Cairns was on the move. I was looking at a few other areas through out qld ended up purchasing a little gem at Scarborough. Anyway getting back to Cairns it would seem like the market has been stagnant and some prices have even dropped over the 6 months that has passed. Infact some of the houses I looked at way back then are still on the market. I guess the high unemployment and high insurance cost has kept buyers away. However I keep hearing about these projects that " might get off the ground" from the likes of cairns city council and the Cairns post. But we hear the same down here in Gladstone, steel mill, nickel refinery, second Chanel & Australia's first wave park, etc. I think you would be crazy to buy in on a market based on pure speculation alone. Unless you have money to burn of course.

Not sure on Cairns Jenko but anyone who believes that steel mill will go ahead is nuts, Australia simply can't compete with with Asian countries in that industry and whoever the developer is who want's to build that wave park might as well burn their money now.

There are definite signs of improvement in the Cairns market with a number of infrastructure but as I've said elsewhere there are also several factors holding the market back. In saying that it may be a good time to buy but it takes a lot of research.

Good suburbs:
Edge Hill
Freshwater
Redlynch (still lots of land out there though)
Most parts of the northern beaches suburbs
Most part of Mount Sheridan
Bayview Heights
Some parts of Whitfield and Kanimbla

Not so good:
Woree
White Rock
Manoora
Mooroobool
Manunda
Edmonton

Everywhere else has pockets of goodness and pockets of badness.
The unit market is flooded and suffers from huge body corporate costs and the region does have highish unemployment. There are good signs creeping in so I think there should be good news for investors of the medium to long term.

It wouldn't be Australia's first wave park. I just walked past one on the Darwin foreshore about a month ago. It was quite full despite an admission price that was too rich for me. But then waves are a novelty if you live in Darwin - not to mention just to have a safe swimming beach in the heat. I can see how it could make sense in that context.

Yeah the properties I was looking at where on the south side of Cairns. Woree, White Rock, Mount Sheridan & Edmonton doesn't appear to be any movement there.

It wouldn't be Australia's first wave park. I just walked past one on the Darwin foreshore about a month ago. It was quite full despite an admission price that was too rich for me. But then waves are a novelty if you live in Darwin - not to mention just to have a safe swimming beach in the heat. I can see how it could make sense in that context.

Is it a wave pool for riding surfboards?

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/subscriptions/offer/1for14days/

Yeah the properties I was looking at where on the south side of Cairns. Woree, White Rock, Mount Sheridan & Edmonton doesn't appear to be any movement there.

The only good suburb amongst these is Mount Sheridan. There are a few streets in Edmonton which are OK, particularly the semi rural part to the west of the suburb where you will find some million dollar homes but there is a lot of housing commission in the vast majority of the suburb.

The silver lining is that Edmonton and the southern corridor is getting services put in to cope with a bigger population. This should make it a more desirable place to live and lift prices but at the moment there are issues.

Woree has a lot of housing commission units near the Highway (Mulgrave Road) which you wouldn't go near. There are a few OK streets in Woree but not a lot.

Mount Sheridan on the upper side of Hardy Road is good and the Delfin estate of Forest Gardens also in the suburb of Mt Sheridan is 90% good with very little Housing Commission and vast majority occupants being owner occupier but like all Delfin estates the blocks are small.

The lower side of Hardy Rd is not a good part of Mount Sheridan, lots of rentals and some Housing Commission.

It's getting up there, I wonder what's the driver? I see a big increase in online search.

Yeah, I noticed that. Some good value 4 bed, 2 bathroom, dbl garage houses on decent size blocks compared to some areas further out from the city.

I guess the high unemployment and high insurance cost has kept buyers away. However I keep hearing about these projects that " might get off the ground" from the likes of cairns city council and the Cairns post. .

Hype is a big issue in Cairns that has left us with little credibility. The town has amazing potential but too many stupid self serving greedy people in positions of influence. I am sick of it. So yes we have one "next big thing" after another but no scrutiny allowed. So the powers that be all have their power trips but none held accountable. Here again we are told that AQUIS is a pipe dream http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-02/analyst-says-aquis-resort-viability-depends-on/5784442 but the Post will not publish it. All we get from them is another fluff piece. I do not know if there is corruption but the stink is the same.

The best development we had was the Entertainment Centre which was scuttled for political point scoring against the best interests of the town.

So now the "experts" say if AQUIS fails Cairns will die. Seriously I cannot even point anyone to a good source of information for Cairns. On that basis alone "buyer beware." Great place though, just needs some to lead who puts the town first.

According to our resident Cairns spruiker all the good suburbs are now sellers markets so the opportunities have past, please look elsewhere. :confused:

Hype is a big issue in Cairns that has left us with little credibility. The town has amazing potential but too many stupid self serving greedy people in positions of influence. I am sick of it. So yes we have one "next big thing" after another but no scrutiny allowed. So the powers that be all have their power trips but none held accountable. Here again we are told that AQUIS is a pipe dream http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-02/analyst-says-aquis-resort-viability-depends-on/5784442 but the Post will not publish it. All we get from them is another fluff piece. I do not know if there is corruption but the stink is the same.

The best development we had was the Entertainment Centre which was scuttled for political point scoring against the best interests of the town.

So now the "experts" say if AQUIS fails Cairns will die. Seriously I cannot even point anyone to a good source of information for Cairns. On that basis alone "buyer beware." Great place though, just needs some to lead who puts the town first.

I thought this thread was about the current property market?:confused:

Honestly JenJen you must suffer from 'posting amnesia'. You commented that Redlynch and Mount Sheridan were sellers markets. Therefore buyers should look elsewhere and I don't recommend the crap suburbs of Cairns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back