Sewer line running diagonally across backyard

To add to the list of undesirable characteristics, I've now discovered that there's a sewer line running diagonally across the backyard.
Went to council to see what could be done about stormwater running onto property and saw the sewer lines.

Have read a few old threads. A couple of suggestions to surround sewer line in cement. One guy paid 14K to have the sewer lines moved to the boundary.
Could be a way to negotiate purchase price of property down further? What do you think?

Also went to see if I could buy the laneway next to the property. This might be possible but there's a sewer line running smack bang down the middle of the lane. I was hoping I could plant trees there.

To add to the list of undesirable characteristics, I've now discovered that there's a sewer line running diagonally across the backyard.
Went to council to see what could be done about stormwater running onto property and saw the sewer lines.

Have read a few old threads. A couple of suggestions to surround sewer line in cement. One guy paid 14K to have the sewer lines moved to the boundary.
Could be a way to negotiate purchase price of property down further? What do you think?

Also went to see if I could buy the laneway next to the property. This might be possible but there's a sewer line running smack bang down the middle of the lane. I was hoping I could plant trees there.

Similar to easements the property price can be nego down.

But all depends on the owner and agent

I'd be trying my darndest to get the storm water connected to the sewer main lol. water problems solved !!....erh, better not do that.

Thanks all. I'm guessing that if this has got me worried before I buy, it's going to be difficult to pass on to another buyer if I ever want to sell.

Thanks all. I'm guessing that if this has got me worried before I buy, it's going to be difficult to pass on to another buyer if I ever want to sell.

Unless it is an amazing deal move on. Im guessing if you are bulking at the thought of having to pay to have the sewer incased it is not that much of an amazing deal.

Thanks - kind of baulking at everything atm :eek:
I was actually more worried when I didn't think there was anything I could do about it. Guess it's a bit of a worry 'cause there's quite a bit of stormwater getting onto the property and something has to be done about that too.
Hope to negotiate down again ... :confused:

Last edited:
Encasing would be best, its the depth that increases the price. you can also reline the sewer, but you will have to go man hole to man hole (reline under a number of blocks potentially) Depending on length it could be an option, and if your in a major city or happen to have a contractor in town. rough price for a private job relining $150/m assuming 150mm pipe in reasonable condition

You can get drawings off the dial before you dig website for free.

As for storm water you can put in a gully and run the water to the street or hopefully to a nearby stormwater pipe/pit

Thanks bob shovel - very helpful.
It's 1m to 1.2m deep so not too bad. I'm in the country.

Still looking into the option of encasing it and what I can do from that point and rough price guesstimate.

Would prefer to move it. When I spoke to someone yesterday I was told that council won't move it - but she wasn't the right person to speak to and I didn't bother explaining that I would be paying if not too expensive. It runs right through my block and takes off a corner of the yard next door. Not sure if they'll allow moving or not.
From your rough price there, it's not looking too bad. Just a 700 sqm block.

The gully sounds like the go, too. I suppose there's enough room for at least one or two of these and it'll solve most of the property's problems.
It's set quite low at the back with a backyard sloping up and looks like water runs into the back area in downpours.

If you move the sewer the spoil from excavating could reshape your yard and fall to fix the storm water issue.

Do you have a sketch or drawing? Moving can be tricky and foot council it's easily put in the to hard basket, people messing with their asset which works fine as is, plus updating drawings, authorising and supervising works! Conc ease it

I have done sewer poor laying and relining in the past for work.

To lay sewer you would be looking at $300-400/m buy could easily get more expensive pending access, council requirements etc

When I say my block, I haven't even signed the contract yet. This is the sticking point at the moment.
Will try to get a sketch up. Definitely, if/when I sign the contract, I will.
You're saying to foot the council? Like the sound of that! They seem a little reluctant so far, though. Mind you, there's scope for a lot of improvement with the staff, I'd say.

Can I ask what you mean by this:
Conc ease it

Don't always pick up on shorthand :)

Will speak to agent. Solicitor has to write to vendor's solicitor for the contract. I thought REAs were able to provide them on asking :confused:
About time I spoke to the agent again...

I'm pretty sure a property can not be marketed for sale without a contract being available from the REA. They are probably in breach of some law.

REA actually seems to be listening.
She's going to send the contract to the solicitor on Monday. Was talking about updates from council.
Agrees that this council can be quite difficult.
I now need to think about costs and renegotiating price.

Foot =for.
Concrete encase.shorthand plus typo, my mistake
And there is no way council will do it for you

When I say my block, I haven't even signed the contract yet. This is the sticking point at the moment.
Will try to get a sketch up. Definitely, if/when I sign the contract, I will.
You're saying to foot the council? Like the sound of that! They seem a little reluctant so far, though. Mind you, there's scope for a lot of improvement with the staff, I'd say.

Can I ask what you mean by this:

Don't always pick up on shorthand :)

Here's a rough sketch I did while looking on council computer.
Does it make sense? I wonder if the line is even necessary at all?

Sketch makes sense. Just concrete encase it,a lot cheaper. You would need to build 2 new man holes if re routing the sewer, they are $1500+ each. Plus roughly 30m of pipe you'll beover $15k in no time

What council is it for?

And it is definitely necessary! Don't say that to council or you'll make them look smarter than they are

And I also agree with Dave. If I was the seller I would say it's your problem if you want to extend etc as it doesn't affect the house as it currently is

Are you planning to build out the back? If not then a sewer line across yard would have no impact?

Yeah, thanks, good point, true. Would like to know I could at least plant some trees, put down some paving (reduce mowing) and put up a pergola or two. Of course the pool remains a 'pipe dream'.
I'm sure it would affect resale, though.

bob shovel: Concrete encase

OK got it. Because it's less drama for council? Sounds like they're not into the idea of moving the pipes anyway. Though REA says it can be done.:rolleyes:

Back