How much have you spent on property education?

I was wondering how much I had spent on getting myself educated.
For me, I've only really bought (second hand) books, gone to cheap seminars and utilised a lot of free resources, such as this forum.
So while I've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours, I've probably only spent around the $500 in monetary terms.

If I was to include unintentional lessons that I got from making mistakes, it would be a few orders of magnitude higher though! ;)

What about you? How much have you spent? I went to a seminar recently where the speaker said that he would have spent around $100k on getting educated in property!

Hundreds on books/magazines (though I borrow more than I buy) and few thousand on courses qualifications (underway).

Money and time well spent.

Over $100,000 on training - not always property specific.
I've done over 40 property transactions and have built million dollar businesses from scratch.

Right now I like to invest around 3percent of my income back into my most important asset - ME! :)

Pretty much nothing, it would be under $100 on one book and a magazine subscription that I never renewed.

This year I will be spending a bit more though as I'm going to do a 2 day course on computer drafting software and most likely 4 days on my REA license.

Probably a couple hundred on books. I've had mag subscriptions, but these have been Xmas/birthday presents from family members who are aware of my interest in property.
If you extend the concept more broadly to lessons learned through property mistakes, definitely in the thousands :eek:

probably $300 on books and an old magazine subscription. That's it, everything else from reading this forum and chatting with peers.

Got a heap of books, some magazines. $2 gold coin donation at the regular SIG meetings we had years ago, and that's about as much as the I've spent.

time: heaps
Monetary outlays: few hundred dollars for books over the 10 odd years.
(but for the beginners just buy the Jan Sommers books, so out of date, yet so relevant.

Just like some of my favourite share investing books, the oldest now approaching 100 years ago

Nothing. Which is a little bit of a fib because I used to work in a bookshop and bought a few property investing books for cheap with the intent to read. Never happened though (and this is going back nearly 10 years ago).

I can devour a fiction book in one sitting but I struggle to read anything that is non-fiction so the books went unread except for the first couple of chapters.

About $1000 that was for Steve McKnights USA workbook, however I thought it was a waste of money, I learnt more from investors on SS, apart from that books from library

A couple of hundred on books initially jan somers in the early 90's, other authors around 5-6 years ago. A few magazine subs, but they lack any inspiration for me now as the success stories rarely highlight those that have been in the game for years, so mag purchases are few and far between.

probably a few hundred on books.
went to a lot of free or cheap spruiker seminars. number of courses/seminars/products bought from them = zilch

If only ppl could know the TRUE cost of not having the right/enough knowledge/information/understanding of property investment and mindset development and how THAT affected their investments over the years.... I suspect that number would be very, very scary.

Simple, easy example. I know a person who recently rented a property for $440/week and a week later an inferior unit in the same complex rented for $480. This person just took the PM 'advice' at face value and didn't do any DD on rentals. If she did, she would have known that its pretty much impossible to rent out similar properties for less than $470/week, so her PM was being lazy and not doing whats in the best interest of the landlord (which is not uncommon at all).

So not having a simple piece of knowledge about DD on rentals costed her at least $30a week, over a year is $1560 as there is a 1 year lease.

Simple example of a true cost for lack of knowledge/understanding.

Leo

So not having a simple piece of knowledge about DD on rentals costed her at least $30a week, over a year is $1560 as there is a 1 year lease.

Simple example of a true cost for lack of knowledge/understanding.

Leo

Cost of this lesson $1,560 and not self-education expense.

Back