Talent Vs Skill - Thanks Will Smith

Grammar, however; is an important factor on an internet site where folks can only read what you say, and will or will not converse with you if the text is really hard/annoying to read.

Sure, but don't let precise grammar get in the way of missing an intelligent and insightful message.

If you can't tolerate some grammatical variation on an online forum then you will be doing yourself a disservice.

Eg. roe made a single post on another thread that was very insightful, and I recognised this and went and read a few hundred of his previous posts on another forum (regarding shares) and gained some valuable insights into his investment approach and long-term investment success - grammar wasn't perfect, but the message is very clear, easy to understand and well worth listening to.

Sure, but don't let precise grammar get in the way of missing an intelligent and insightful message.

If you can't tolerate some grammatical variation on an online forum then you will be doing yourself a disservice.

Eg. roe made a single post on another thread that was very insightful, and I recognised this and went and read a few hundred of his previous posts on another forum (regarding shares) and gained some valuable insights into his investment approach and long-term investment success - grammar wasn't perfect, but the message is very clear, easy to understand and well worth listening to.
True. You are preaching to the choir of that.

Doesn't mean it isn't annoying though - as others have commented.

But hey; how about we all just spell and punctuate like shoit? I'll feel like I'm back in 1st grade...cool.

Speaking of punctuation; haven't seen Lawrence - aka "Grossreal" for a while...

The difference was desire, plus work ethic, plus belief.

Often times the hard-working plodder rises above the talented competitor who is a bit lazy.

It happens in all sports as well.
I can attest to this in the skating world as well. You often find talented kids who go nowhere while others of average talent work their backsides off & rise to the higher levels.

Unfortunately I can not get over an interview I watched some time back and it was woeful, he started to preach, and continued on with why he was on this earth, for bigger and greater things, a real "legion in his own mind", came across as a willy wonker.

Certainly nothing like what you posted, unfortunately I saw another beast and it was pretty ugly, hard to stay grounded when you are insanely wealthy, but please don't preach.

MTR

I just finished reading an interesting book called "The Talent Code - Greatness isn't born, it's grown."

Explains quite well what it takes to become what someone might call a "talent" - motivation/inspiration and a whole lot of very hard work because only repeated practice while operating on the very edge of your abilities builds the neural circuitry to the point where you can fire your circuits with such speed that you can do it better than someone else.

The more you practice something, the more myelin wraps around the circuit being fired. This has the effect of transforming your "dial up" circuits into "broadband" circuits = skill.

This applies to any skill, from reading to language to playing sport/music etc.

I just finished reading an interesting book called "The Talent Code - Greatness isn't born, it's grown."

Explains quite well what it takes to become what someone might call a "talent" - motivation/inspiration and a whole lot of very hard work because only repeated practice while operating on the very edge of your abilities builds the neural circuitry to the point where you can fire your circuits with such speed that you can do it better than someone else.

The more you practice something, the more myelin wraps around the circuit being fired. This has the effect of transforming your "dial up" circuits into "broadband" circuits = skill.

This applies to any skill, from reading to language to playing sport/music etc.

I suppose if I was trying to sell a book that is what I would do. Appeal to the widest possible audience, tell the ordinary man all they have to do is practice and they can become the next Mozart, Einstein or Ayrton Senna. :D Hang on! You don't think??? Noooooo they wouldn't be doing that would they?

I suppose if I was trying to sell a book that is what I would do. Appeal to the widest possible audience, tell the ordinary man all they have to do is practice and they can become the next Mozart, Einstein or Ayrton Senna. :D Hang on! You don't think??? Noooooo they wouldn't be doing that would they?

Practice is just one component and the book makes it pretty clear that's not all you have to do. Regardless, book or no book, the science is there. Or is that a ploy too?

Practice is just one component and the book makes it pretty clear that's not all you have to do. Regardless, book or no book, the science is there. Or is that a ploy too?

What science? There is no scientific formula to make someone the best in their field. You have to apply yourself of course but a lot of what people like that have they are born with. It's that last 10% that can not be defined. If it's as easy as reading a book and applying the rules within why doesn't the person who wrote the book apply it and become something?

The great people of our time didn't become great by just practicing something over and over, they needed to do it but you can't teach creative intelligence, sensitivity, emotional expression, imagination, a penchant for original thought and risk taking, etc. Thats what sets apart the good from the great and you can't teach that.

Last edited:
Didn't happen. It was a rumor a tabloid started and backed it with 'incriminating photos' from a movie set.

Regardless, the values he speaks of in the talk are phenomenal, and I would personally strive to attain them. If he does or doesn't is his own business. Who am I to judge, I have gone against my own moral compass at times and regretted it. Ironically doing things society would praise me for. Right and wrong is quite grey at best

So true. I hate it how when someone achieve a lot of success and slips up eg affair, the vast majority of people will just go on a witch hunt and disregard all the good they've done. No one knows the exact story and has no right to judge. In Will Smith's case, the wife and him has been separated for some time but he is against divorce.

Back