Subdivisable Block

- 991sqm, zoned R20

- 3x1 house returning $270 p/w

- Price $465,000+

Address: 158 Second Avenue, Eden Hill WA

Recently appraised (February 2008) as follows by REA.

House on its own - high $300,000's

Block (already retained and level) - $170-180,000

Rental - $300-310 pw for the existing house

so, if it's all in place and ready to be torrens'd why not, so so, sell them separately yourself and make a cool $100,000+ ?

Dear Lizzie,

I appreciate your reply.

We've decided to sell (reluctantly) due to family concerns overseas. I hope the new purchaser can enjoy the opportunity that thi sproperty provides.

I saw that property and considered looking at it. Nicko - Have you spoken to Bassendean council recently regarding the proposed zoning change to R40.

be REAL careful.

blocks under 1000sqm now are not allowed to be subdividable under R20. See front page Cambridge Times or call Alannah MacTiernan....

Heres further info on changes coming into effect from Property Wizards.

This is important news for any of our members who own property in Perth with an R20 zoning and a lot size between 900 and 1000sqm.

Up to now you have been able to subdivide these lots under the so called “grandfather clause”. The government has now set a date of 30 April 2009 for implementing the actual R20 zoning rules, which require at least 1,000sqm to subdivide an R20 lot.

This means owners of properties between 900sqm and 1000sqm have 12 months to gain approval to subdivide their lot. As of May 2009 blocks of land will have to be 1000sqm or over to be eligible for subdivision (as well as meeting other requirements).

Owners of the 900-1000sqm blocks face losing property value if they do not get subdivision approval within the next 12 months as their block will remain a single residential dwelling.

For more information please click on the article below

http://www.propertywizards.com.au/NewR20zoning.html

Last edited:
From the West, strange after all the talk of not expanding Perth, stretching resources etc and all the talk of infill...?

Backyard subdivisions face the chop

25th March 2008, 6:00 WST

New WA Planning Commission rules are set to stymie attempts by householders to subdivide their blocks, flying in the face of State Government calls for more infill development in established suburbs.

Real estate agents are already exploiting the impending change to R20 zoned blocks — due in April next year — by running leaflet campaigns in suburbs with blocks of less than 1000sqm warning residents to subdivide now or miss out.

An R20 zoning means 20 dwellings are allowed on a hectare of land, so blocks cannot be smaller than 500sqm and those who own blocks of more than 1000sqm can technically subdivide a portion of their land. Planning regulations have long offered a concession allowing owners to subdivide properties as small as 900sqm and create strata titles. Under amendments within Planning Bulletin 89, to be gazetted next month, that concession will be removed for R20, forcing residents to push for a rezoning to a higher density if they want to subdivide or create strata lots.

Melville resident and former Melville city councillor Paul Redman learnt about the changes to the R20 rules from a flyer from a local real estate agent. He said he and his wife had not been planning to subdivide their Melville block for several years but were now considering rushing their plans to meet the deadline.

“I’ve been to valuers to see what it would be worth to sell as a house with subdivision potential, because that option won’t be there in a year’s time,” he said.

“At a time when they’re saying we’ve got to get more houses in the inner metro area they’re doing the exact opposite.”

Planning and Infrastructure Minister Alannah MacTiernan wants to double the number of inner-city and riverside homes in Perth. Her Network City planning scheme is expected to deliver an extra 500,000 homes in the Perth and Peel regions in the next 30 to 40 years.

Most of the infill would be provided through high-density developments around transport nodes and activity hubs, rather than traditional infill subdivision.

She said if councils wanted to allow traditional backyard subdivisions they could rezone areas to R25 or higher to allow for it.

“I don’t see this as inconsistent with Network City because what we’re looking at doing is having areas around nodes where we can have real density. A lot of land is being upzoned, councils are reviewing their town planning schemes all the time and R20 becomes R30 or R40 and I sign these every second week,” she said.

DANIEL HATCH

it's got to do with the R Codes 2002 edition.

R20 development says a minimum block size of 450sqm but an AVERAGE of 500sqm.

suddenly, everyone that had a 920odd sqm block lost their development potential. here was a big dust up and they introduced the "grandfather clause" that said any R20 BLOCK OVER 900SQM BUT LESS THAN 1000SQM can be developed under the grandfather clause.

there was originaly a fixed date but it kept getting pushed back and pushed back and pushed back.

all the people's princess has said is that "x date is it - no more extensions" and suddenly it's an issue again.

people need to understand it is not the DPI or WAPC's fault this is happening. if your local councils want a higher density, tell then to amend the structure plan to R25 and STFU already.

Update....

I know this is an old thread but I thought some people may be interested to hear what eventually happened with this property. Sometimes things sound like a good idea but you don't know whether they panned out or not.

We purchased the property for around $380k in January 2009 and lived in it for 18mths while building a house at the rear of the block. Building (owner builder with contacts so process was relatively cheap), reno on original house and fees came to around $250k so all up in for about $630. Original house sold for $390k (after a period of renting it out) and new house valued at $480k. So around $240k profit.

I know this is an old thread but I thought some people may be interested to hear what eventually happened with this property. Sometimes things sound like a good idea but you don't know whether they panned out or not.

We purchased the property for around $380k in January 2009 and lived in it for 18mths while building a house at the rear of the block. Building (owner builder with contacts so process was relatively cheap), reno on original house and fees came to around $250k so all up in for about $630. Original house sold for $390k (after a period of renting it out) and new house valued at $480k. So around $240k profit.

Nice, you must of knocked them back a fair amount to win it for 380, what price did you go in at originally ?

Back