Marrickville - Opinions please

As just mentioned in the 'rents in Sydney' thread, he has just scored a new tenant, taking the rent from $350 to $400.

I was just speaking to Dad about his rent, and I'm not sure if I misheard him the first time or if he's just had a massive increase, but he's actually getting $530/wk now for the same little unrenovated house.

Crikey, Ian, $530 for an unrenovated place on that road is nuts. You're dad is doing well. I saw a queue on the weekend outside a rental property opening for inspection.
Yes, Ajax, there are definitely some lousy parts of Marrickville. It's the biggest suburb in the inner west and has a huge range of property.

Diggin up an old thread but I thought that THIS might interest those with a Buy-Renovate to increase yield-Hold stratagy

Seems the current owners purchased this property for $480k in Feb 08.
You may be able to assume that their circumstances have now changed and they cant hold onto it or afford to renovate it.

Might be an opportunity for someone

What a bathroom!! If only a house could talk hey - this one would have seen some interesting times...

Good size place, but would cost a fair bit to fix up to a decent standard. Im not the renovator type so would prefer to buy something around 600 in the area that doesn't need time or effort.

I will be looking for an investment property in this area in the next 6 months (marrickville/ashfield) still debating whether to go for a unit or house.... I have a small terrace in Newtown and love the location and the capital growth :).

I inspected this house today (thanks Shady & Depreciator) and the photos are a compliment!! One of the worse houses i have seen, a dead set shocker.

At the right price (mid $400s) it would leave enough room for improvement but the agent is talking mid $500s. Tell her she's dreaming.

Diggin up an old thread but I thought that THIS might interest those with a Buy-Renovate to increase yield-Hold stratagy

Seems the current owners purchased this property for $480k in Feb 08.
You may be able to assume that their circumstances have now changed and they cant hold onto it or afford to renovate it.

Might be an opportunity for someone

I inspected this house today (thanks Shady & Depreciator) and the photos are a compliment!! One of the worse houses i have seen, a dead set shocker.

At the right price (mid $400s) it would leave enough room for improvement but the agent is talking mid $500s. Tell her she's dreaming.

LOL, sounds like a real 'fixer upper'.
I was wondering how you went yesterday.

we are looking into the sydenham/marrickville/st peters area, although rather concerned about being under a flight path. My parents have mentioned the possibility of fuel dumping, or the hydrocarbons in the atmosphere... anyone have any thoughts on the health aspects of living in these suburbs?

Planes don't dump fuel over houses. Unless they are in real strife, in which case a bit of fuel would be the least of your worries.
This is a big area:

we are looking into the sydenham/marrickville/st peters area, although rather concerned about being under a flight path.

And much of it isn't under a flight path at all. Planes going over Sydenham in particular are so low that their footprint isn't very wide. But crikey if you're under it, you'd go nuts.

I'm not sure about hydrocarbons from planes, but I live in a city and I accept the fact that it's probably not the healthiest environment. I reckon living on a main road would probably be worse.

Scott

thanks for the quick response. We've looked at a couple of places in the last few months that have been RIGHT under the flightpath... I'd go nuts too.

I've been reading up on various homeowners opinions... some who live in Sydenham reckon that the outside of the house goes black from the aircraft pollution.

Being close to the CBD, having quality of life & clean air, and being able to have friends over for a BBQ in the backyard is one of our priorities... but we're priced out of Stanmore/Newtown, hence the reason we are looking into places under the flight path.. not sure if this is a wise move or not considering we plan to live in our first home for 5+ years!!

Yep, I suspect that if you lived in Sydenham you would be hanging your washing out the dry in the yard. There is one street where tiles have been lifted of fthe rooves of some houses by planes. Sydenham isn't great.
I've long been a fan of Marrickville - bigger backyards on average than Sydenham, too.
Scott

which area of marrickville do you think is the best?

I've heard lots about the Warren Rd area but can't see what's so great about it. Other parts eg. Illawarra Road, I'm not all that fussed about (v. narrow road, danger of getting your car scraped)...

Warren Road is lousy. So is Illawarra. And Sydenham. And Addison. And Petersham. And Livingston. All carry lots of traffic.
But interspersed are some good streets. It's like all suburbs, you can have a good street and then one block away, running parallel, you can have a lousy one. You really need to spend an afternoon there driving down a whole bunch of streets and drawing up a list of the acceptable ones. Sounds a bit anal, I know, But if you commit to an area, it's pretty good due diligence.
As an 'area' South Marrickville is elevated - views to either the city or over the river to Earlwood. But entry price is pretty high. It has a pocket called The Warren that RE agents love. (Warren Road isn't really part of the Warren, ironically.) But even in South Marrickville there are some lousy streets.
If you find any ads you like, send me the link and try and I'll tell you waht I think of the immediate area.
Scott

Oh *light goes on* The Warren doesn't include Warren Road. Yeah there are a few crappy roads in Marrickville that we're trying to avoid. I'll keep researching & PM you any potentials :) thanks :D

Back